Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking cats to Australia

Taking cats to Australia

Old Dec 27th 2006, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

hello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nice
Default Taking cats to Australia

As the title says really. Has anyone done this? We are in the very early stages of starting the relocation process & I have no idea what's involved with bringing my 2 cats. I'm worried about them being on a plane for so long!
Old Dec 27th 2006, 11:21 am
Reg Migration Agent

chelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nice
Default Re: Taking cats to Australia

Originally Posted by hello kitty
As the title says really. Has anyone done this? We are in the very early stages of starting the relocation process & I have no idea what's involved with bringing my 2 cats. I'm worried about them being on a plane for so long!

Hi

I migrated here with my family in November 2003, this included a husband, 3 teenagers :scared: , two German Shepherds and two cats. We used Air Pets at Heathrow who were absoulutely fantastic. Our pets all arrived in Sydney Quarantine safe and sound and were then flown up to us in Brisbane. Whilst they were 'moody' as they thought we had abandonded them, they were healthy and in excellent condition.

Hope this puts your mind at rest.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

hello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nice

Originally Posted by chelov62
Hi

I migrated here with my family in November 2003, this included a husband, 3 teenagers :scared: , two German Shepherds and two cats. We used Air Pets at Heathrow who were absoulutely fantastic. Our pets all arrived in Sydney Quarantine safe and sound and were then flown up to us in Brisbane. Whilst they were 'moody' as they thought we had abandonded them, they were healthy and in excellent condition.

Hope this puts your mind at rest.
Thanks so much, was just looking at Air Pets funnily enough! Did the cats settle in ok? Are they ok with the climate? Do you let them outside? Sorry for all the questions but I just want to be sure before we start paying out to start the process! Thanks again
Old Dec 27th 2006, 11:35 am
Reg Migration Agent

chelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nice

Thanks so much, was just looking at Air Pets funnily enough! Did the cats settle in ok? Are they ok with the climate? Do you let them outside? Sorry for all the questions but I just want to be sure before we start paying out to start the process! Thanks again
They are fine with the climate. We thought we would have trouble with the dogs as one is a long haired shepherd but they are okay too.

We dont tend to let the cat out (unfortunately we lost the other one a month ago due to a brain hemorage) just because i worry about him falling in a pool etc.. we do see plenty of others out around here though.

All our animals seem so much happier here (seems odd) but our dogs wag their tails a lot more and seem very relaxed and laid back (must be the life here)
Old Dec 27th 2006, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

They are fine with the climate. We thought we would have trouble with the dogs as one is a long haired shepherd but they are okay too.

We dont tend to let the cat out (unfortunately we lost the other one a month ago due to a brain hemorage) just because i worry about him falling in a pool etc.. we do see plenty of others out around here though.

All our animals seem so much happier here (seems odd) but our dogs wag their tails a lot more and seem very relaxed and laid back (must be the life here)
Sounds great. Thanks so much for the advice, I was worrying yesterday that I would have to look into rehoming them rather than taking them, I hardly slept! Feel much better now though. I'm looking into coming over to Brisbane too. Do you love it there?
Old Dec 27th 2006, 11:41 am
Reg Migration Agent

Sounds great. Thanks so much for the advice, I was worrying yesterday that I would have to look into rehoming them rather than taking them, I hardly slept! Feel much better now though. I'm looking into coming over to Brisbane too. Do you love it there?
Absolutely. We have been here for 3 years and whilst you have homesick days, they get less. I came back at xmas last year and knew that i had definately done the right thing.

When i got back after the holiday i decided to help others to migrate and set about training to be a migration agent. I have just set up my own business, which i would never have done in the uk, and was astounded to find its listed on the google ads at the bottom of this site.......

Brissie is a very laid back, friendly place to live. if you need any help or info about places just let me know.

Chel
Old Dec 27th 2006, 12:05 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Cats Cool , bring cane toads too !
Old Dec 27th 2006, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Absolutely. We have been here for 3 years and whilst you have homesick days, they get less. I came back at xmas last year and knew that i had definately done the right thing.

When i got back after the holiday i decided to help others to migrate and set about training to be a migration agent. I have just set up my own business, which i would never have done in the uk, and was astounded to find its listed on the google ads at the bottom of this site.......

Brissie is a very laid back, friendly place to live. if you need any help or info about places just let me know.

Chel
Thanks very much, may well be in touch in the future
Old Dec 27th 2006, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Cats Cool , bring cane toads too !
WTF????!!
Old Dec 27th 2006, 12:24 pm

WTF????!!
I used to have a cat , but would not bring one over here .
There are loads here already and it has had a huge impact http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/nrenin...F00088822?open
Old Dec 27th 2006, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

I used to have a cat , but would not bring one over here .
There are loads here already and it has had a huge impact http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/nrenin...F00088822?open
My cats are neutered, microchipped, vaccinated, wormed, treated for fleas & have bells on theirs collars. They refuse to urinate or defecate outside & will only use a litter tray indoors. If they catch a bird or small mammal then I see that as nature, though to my knowledge they never have. My cats are also rescue cats & would probably have been put to sleep if I hadn't taken them. You are entitled to your own opinion, but I am a responsible pet owner.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 12:43 pm

My cats are neutered, microchipped, vaccinated, wormed, treated for fleas & have bells on theirs collars. They refuse to urinate or defecate outside & will only use a litter tray indoors. If they catch a bird or small mammal then I see that as nature, though to my knowledge they never have. My cats are also rescue cats & would probably have been put to sleep if I hadn't taken them. You are entitled to your own opinion, but I am a responsible pet owner.
Good for you .

Just remember cats are not endangered , but many small Aussies are .

If i had brought my old cat here i would keep him inside .

All cats will hunt given the chance .

We gave ours to a sweet old lady .

They refuse to urinate or defecate outside & will only use a litter tray indoors.

Oh and they reason you don't see your cat shit is they do it next door , LOL great if you hate the guy next door .
Old Dec 27th 2006, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Good for you .

Just remember cats are not endangered , but many small Aussies are .

If i had brought my old cat here i would keep him inside .

All cats will hunt given the chance .

We gave ours to a sweet old lady .

They refuse to urinate or defecate outside & will only use a litter tray indoors.

Oh and they reason you don't see your cat shit is they do it next door , LOL great if you hate the guy next door .

No the reason I know is because I kept them indoors until they were neutered, which I'm sure in your expert view is sensible, meaning they only ever had access to a litter tray for 6-8 months. When I let them out they pop in every so often to use the loo. The reason I know they don't shit (your words) in next door's garden is because I clean the litter tray every day & I see the poo! Please, next time you try to make a valid point don't introduce it with a sarcastic comment. Your information may have been very helpful to another cat owner who maybe hadn't thought this issue through at all, but maybe they switched off when the post got nasty.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to all

No the reason I know is because I kept them indoors until they were neutered, which I'm sure in your expert view is sensible, meaning they only ever had access to a litter tray for 6-8 months. When I let them out they pop in every so often to use the loo. The reason I know they don't shit (your words) in next door's garden is because I clean the litter tray every day & I see the poo! Please, next time you try to make a valid point don't introduce it with a sarcastic comment. Your information may have been very helpful to another cat owner who maybe hadn't thought this issue through at all, but maybe they switched off when the post got nasty.

This forum is about support and help for one and all. We should all remember to play nice and be good to each other.

Useful pointers made in post for all cat, in fact for all pet lovers.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oz wannabe1
This forum is about support and help for one and all. We should all remember to play nice and be good to each other.

Useful pointers made in post for all cat, in fact for all pet lovers.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.