Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking Cat With Us

Taking Cat With Us

Old Apr 22nd 2006, 7:58 pm
Kanga1

Emmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really nice
Default Taking Cat With Us

Please can you help? I need advice we want to take our cat with us to Victoria, and dont know what to do first and what injections he needs. Do they need the rabies one? Thank you
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of
Default Re: Taking Cat With Us

Originally Posted by Emmaline
Please can you help? I need advice we want to take our cat with us to Victoria, and dont know what to do first and what injections he needs. Do they need the rabies one? Thank you
Hi Emmaline

Cats must be vaccinated against feline enteritis (feline panleucopenia, feline
distemper), rhinotracheitis and calicivirus.

Take a look at http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/ir...ran_inform.pdf

Hope this helps
Leigh

Last edited by leigh&ivan; Apr 22nd 2006 at 10:41 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Also came across this useful thread about Pet Export http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315019
Leigh
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

They also need to be microchipped. Your vet may be able to tell you, but if you choose a pet carrier, they will tell you everything you need to do too. The one thing you must remember is that your cat can not travel until 14 days after the last jab, so get organised early on so that your cat isn't left waiting at a cattery for a few days whilst you fly.

We used Airpets and they were lovely. Our cat was picked up by them, and flew well apparently. He's now at Eastern Creek quarantine, where apparently he's lying on a heated mat, eating well, lying in the sun in a special 'sun roof' that the cats have to their accomodation.

We have no worries about him ... going to visit on Tuesday.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 8:19 pm
Kanga1

Emmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really nice

Thank you for your help and useful web sites. Do you know if they need to have a rabies jab thanks again
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Emmaline
Thank you for your help and useful web sites. Do you know if they need to have a rabies jab thanks again
This info was in the first link,

RABIES VACCINATION
Time Frame: Within 1 year of export.
N.B. CATS AND DOGS
Arrange for your pet to be vaccinated/ revaccinated with an approved inactivated rabies
vaccine according to a or b.
a) Primovaccination The animal must be at least 3 months old at the time of the first vaccination. The vaccination must be given between 12 months and 90 days prior to export.
b) Subsequent Vaccinations Where the primovaccination or subsequent vaccinations were given more than 12 months prior to the date of export a booster vaccination must be given.
This booster must be given within 12 months prior to export.
The primovaccination certificate, or the most current rabies vaccination booster certificate must be presented to the Official Veterinarian when completing Section 7 of the application form for an AQIS import permit.

Leigh
Old Apr 25th 2006, 3:12 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
This info was in the first link,

RABIES VACCINATION
Time Frame: Within 1 year of export.
N.B. CATS AND DOGS
Arrange for your pet to be vaccinated/ revaccinated with an approved inactivated rabies
vaccine according to a or b.
a) Primovaccination The animal must be at least 3 months old at the time of the first vaccination. The vaccination must be given between 12 months and 90 days prior to export.
b) Subsequent Vaccinations Where the primovaccination or subsequent vaccinations were given more than 12 months prior to the date of export a booster vaccination must be given.
This booster must be given within 12 months prior to export.
The primovaccination certificate, or the most current rabies vaccination booster certificate must be presented to the Official Veterinarian when completing Section 7 of the application form for an AQIS import permit.

Leigh
With respect, I think this is incorrect. We brought two cats and a dog from the UK to Australia, and rabies vaccination was not a requirement. See:

http://www.affa.gov.au/corporate_doc...og/infosh2.pdf

If this link doesn't work, go to

http://www.daff.gov.au/content/outpu...ntType=outputs and select your country of origin as UK. You will see that rabies is not a requirement.

HTH.

Sue
Old Apr 25th 2006, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
With respect, I think this is incorrect. We brought two cats and a dog from the UK to Australia, and rabies vaccination was not a requirement. See:

http://www.affa.gov.au/corporate_doc...og/infosh2.pdf

If this link doesn't work, go to

http://www.daff.gov.au/content/outpu...ntType=outputs and select your country of origin as UK. You will see that rabies is not a requirement.

HTH.

Sue
Apologies for incorrect info Emmaline

Thanks for pointing that out Bella Donna. You're obviously right being as you've already taken your cat. Don't know how I got to that link now, but can only assume I hadn't stated it was from UK when i put in the search

Leigh
Old Apr 25th 2006, 6:05 pm
Kanga1

I think they only need rabies injection if they return thanks for your help anyway

Thanks for pointing that out Bella Donna. You're obviously right being as you've already taken your cat. Don't know how I got to that link now, but can only assume I hadn't stated it was from UK when i put in the search

Leigh
Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:21 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Leigh
Sorry for doing so - I hate *arguing* with something that someone has posted, but if it's vaccine-related, it's unusual for me not to have some sort of interest one way or another.

It looked to me as though the link you had was originating from a US slant, so maybe you accidentally opened the link for the US instead of UK? Never mind, doesn't matter.

Sue
Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Taking Cat With Us

Just a thought - in Victoria, some areas are cat - free zones and some councils just do not allow you to keep them, even if they live totally indoors. Other councils insist that the cat is kept under control - just like a dog and that you have to be able to restrict the cat to your property. Not all councils you understand, but it might be worth checking it out.

Also apparently the life expectancy for a cat (supposedly) that is allowed to roam in Aus is only 3 years. Not sure if this is the same for UK, but I wondered if this was affected by things like spiders / snakes and the bl**dy mad drivers over here.

Oh and cats have to be registered with the local councils too.

Good luck