taking car

Old Feb 17th 2006, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Stuck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: taking car

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
Why not sell all large items and cram your car with bits and pieces.

I have a 3 series BMW and was thinking of shipping it, as it can be used to hold a lot of household stuff...kettle,toaster,photo albums etc.

We will sell all of our furniture here in th UK and only ship what fits in the car.

So in a way...the Car is being shipped for free.

TC
Nope, you are not allowed to do that. Our car was shipped from Oz to Uk in the container with our furniture, but you can't put anything in it. We packed the house and the container ourselves, removal company put the car in (has to be specially strapped). Cost us $5000 AuD for move of 40ft container + car to UK. Trouble was with the DVLA in UK and VOSA! But, in retrospect, was not too bad. When we went to Oz we sold our Range Rover in UK (advised to by company in Oz). It is really simple to change the speed from miles to km's. We have had ours done so that if we want to take it back to Oz we can change it back to km's ourselves (only cost us 80 pounds, which VOSA refunded to us because our car is classed as a commercial vehicle). I was sorry that we didnt take the RR to Oz. I would take a car, but then it doesnt cost us too much to move because we do it ourselves. Also, having been to Oz and back again, I would only go for 'whole ship sinking' type insurance. Nothing of great value ever gets broken if it is packed well. On return to UK we did not have one single breakage.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Centurion
however one word of warning is that although brand new cars are comparable in costs worldwide, the second hand car market in Australia is very very strong and you will pay a lot more here than a similar UK used vehicle.

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...ePrivOwnMV.pdf
I have read this comment a number of times recently. I think it is a bit of a myth.
Having recently purchased a second hand car, I have done a quick comparison using Parkers website.

Car purchased privately in Aus - RAV4, 2002 2.0L 5 door, cost $19000
Parkers private price for 2.0 D-4D GX 5d 2002/51 in good cond, 10390 = $24700

Am I missing something here?
Old Feb 17th 2006, 8:15 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neiluk
hi allthe car we want to take is a lexus 4x4 and i have been told they are not that chaep in oz so hence the reason we are thinking about shipping it over and we really like great for the kids .
My wife had the RX300SE which was £36,600 new, when we were in oz we went to the Lexus showroom and I thick the price was about $87,000, so not that much of a difference.
Audi A3 2.0T S-line Uk £23,000, oz £55,000
I think if you shop round you can find some cheap cars.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 8:24 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

My Dad lives in Aus and has a Lexus RX330 georgeous and fab to drive. You are right about the cost of the 4X4 I know Dad paid $80,000 brand new last year. They are about $60,000 for one about 2 years old so I would definately ship the car and squash everything in like someone else said and the car goes free! (or just think of it that way!)

Sorry - took so long to reply Suni and Jay got in first! (Damn!) only kiddin'

Last edited by Jaycee1; Feb 17th 2006 at 8:26 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Some people seem to be misunderstanding the points put forward here. NEW cars in Oz are comparable in price, or cheaper, than in the U.K. However, secondhand cars over a couple of years old are way overpriced.
For example. Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 1997. In the U.K, 500 pounds.
Holden Barina 1.4 1997. In Oz, 3000 pounds!

It is very hard to find a car, which is less than 10 or 12 years old, in reasonable condition, without 250,000 kms on it, for under 7000 AuD (circa 3000 GBP). I know because I have tried! I'm not a car snob, but let's be honest, Daewoo and Kia don't make good cars......

I'm sure lots of people will link to loads of used car ads now, just trying to prove how wrong I am, but really, there is no denying it.

There must come a point where the cheaper than U.K new car, crosses the line into the more expensive than U.K second hand car, and that is the time to buy..........
Old Feb 17th 2006, 10:40 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neiluk
hi al
Has anybody shipped a car over and who did they use any help would be great.
sells.
Hi we had to leave an MX5 due to the high cost of import.
All privately imported vehicles are subject to the same rates of Customs duty and Goods and Services Tax (GST) and, where applicable, Luxury Car Tax (LCT) as commercially imported vehicles. The Customs duty is based on the Customs value of the vehicle.

The rate of Customs duty payable is that which applies to the particular type of vehicle on the date it is entered for Customs purposes in Australia. GST and, where applicable, LCT applies at the date you import the vehicle into Australia. Without a permission to import, which can be obtained from the Vehicle Safety Standards Branch, a special duty of $12,000 may apply.

As Customs duty varies according to vehicle design and value, and is subject to change, you should contact a Customs office before importing any vehicle into Australia.

The Customs value of new or second hand privately imported motor vehicles or motor cycles will ordinarily be calculated using the "transaction value" method. Under this method the Customs value is based on the "price actually paid or payable" for the vehicle or cycle in a bona fide sale where the price is not influenced by any other factor.

This method will be used where the importer can show that the vehicle or cycle was purchased to be exported to Australia. The transaction value method will not be used where there is insufficient or unreliable information regarding the purchase.

In determining the Customs Value, certain adjustments may be made to the price paid by the importer to have the vehicle or cycle brought to Australia (eg. the deduction of overseas freight and insurance).

When the "transaction value" method cannot be used to determine Customs Value, the alternate methods of valuation, as set out in Section 159 of the Customs Act will be applied in sequential order.

Where the Fall-Back alternate method is used, Customs will usually accept as the basis for determining the Customs Value, the landed cost of the vehicle or cycle in Australia as assessed by a person qualified in valuing such vehicles and cycles. Customs may then make certain deductions to determine the Customs Value of the vehicle or cycle.

The Customs value of your vehicle is calculated in Australian dollars. Where it is necessary to convert any prices, costs, etc. from a foreign currency to Australian dollars, the conversion will be based on that rate of exchange in effect in Australia on the date of exportation of your vehicle to Australia.

More details can be found here....
http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...s/commer02.pdf

Neil.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by logan
Some people seem to be misunderstanding the points put forward here. NEW cars in Oz are comparable in price, or cheaper, than in the U.K. However, secondhand cars over a couple of years old are way overpriced.
For example. Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 1997. In the U.K, 500 pounds.
Holden Barina 1.4 1997. In Oz, 3000 pounds!

I'm sure lots of people will link to loads of used car ads now, just trying to prove how wrong I am, but really, there is no denying it.
No need to post car ads:
Parkers top private sale price for 1.4i Breeze 5d 1997/P, 1350 = $3200
Red Book top private sale price for SB Swing Hatchback 5dr Man 5sp 1.4i, $7700

You would need to import for less than $4500 = 1900quid

You will also find the Aussie model will usually be fitted with factory A/C
Also the Vauxhall, as an import would have a low resale value.

Originally Posted by logan
There must come a point where the cheaper than U.K new car, crosses the line into the more expensive than U.K second hand car, and that is the time to buy..........
If that point is cars almost 10 year old, is it worth it.
Refer to my own experience in my last post for more recent comparison.

I'm out to bust this myth
Old Feb 18th 2006, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Quokka
No need to post car ads:
Parkers top private sale price for 1.4i Breeze 5d 1997/P, 1350 = $3200
Red Book top private sale price for SB Swing Hatchback 5dr Man 5sp 1.4i, $7700

You would need to import for less than $4500 = 1900quid

You will also find the Aussie model will usually be fitted with factory A/C
Also the Vauxhall, as an import would have a low resale value.

If that point is cars almost 10 year old, is it worth it.
Refer to my own experience in my last post for more recent comparison.

I'm out to bust this myth
I'm not saying that they should import their car, especially if it's not a luxury, or particularly special model. I was just pointing out that secondhand cars in Oz are a damn site more expensive than the equivalent car in the U.K. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't want anyone to come here with the misconception that if they sell their car for 3000 pounds in the U.K, then they can turn up here and buy the same car for 7000 dollars. They can't. It doesn't work like that.
I'm just sick of hearing people say they are cheaper here.
Having been here for almost a year, and earning what apprently is an above average wage, I have to say secondhand cars are much more expensive. Don't even get me started on the price of food. That's for another thread....
Old Feb 18th 2006, 12:03 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
My Dad lives in Aus and has a Lexus RX330 georgeous and fab to drive. You are right about the cost of the 4X4 I know Dad paid $80,000 brand new last year. They are about $60,000 for one about 2 years old so I would definately ship the car and squash everything in like someone else said and the car goes free! (or just think of it that way!)

Sorry - took so long to reply Suni and Jay got in first! (Damn!) only kiddin'
1st.You are not allowed to 'stuff' the car with goods, the car has to be empty.
2nd $60,000= £25500 (rate= 2.35 $/£) so unless the car is worth less then £20,000 odd not worth shipping (allowing for shipping+taxes+loss in resale value)