Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Take vehicle to oz ?

Take vehicle to oz ?

Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

sawbang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Take vehicle to oz ?

I want to take my merc van to oz with me as i think that if i sold it here at the moment i would lose to much money on it' does any now how much it would cost to ship it over' I think it might be more cost affective to ship it across. I think maybe a lot of people are in the same boat with there car
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Take vehicle to oz ?

Originally Posted by sawbang
I want to take my merc van to oz with me as i think that if i sold it here at the moment i would lose to much money on it' does any now how much it would cost to ship it over' I think it might be more cost affective to ship it across. I think maybe a lot of people are in the same boat with there car
If you email

[email protected]

He will be able to give you a quote via email.

There are extra costs like GST and conversion fees (may be required) etc.

It can be quite a lot of hassle to be honest but up to you.

You need to include in your email the make, year and model of car, where you are shipping to.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 10:27 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Look for posts from bigAPE... he's written the definitive guide to this... think you'll find you'll take a loss one way or the other...
Old Feb 18th 2009, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

For example to container my van and ship over with all taxes etc etc
its a VW T5 130 2004 uk value @£9k /aus vaule is about £14k

£6000 to ship
£5000 to ship roll on roll off,but stands a chance it will get damaged!!!

The you will prob lose value if you ever tried to sell it?

Unles sit s a family herloom....sell it
Old Feb 18th 2009, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

the only way I'd ship anything over that you can already buy in Oz, would be if you intended to drive it until it fell apart. as a grey import you'd never get the same price as one originally sold here, so the resale value would be low....that's if u can get a buyer at all !
add the current UK value to the shipping cost + insurance + the GST & import duty (20%) + a whole stack of other charges and it all adds up. If this is STILL less than the Oz price it might be worth it. If not leave it with a relative to sell for you. I did that and it took 3 months so i know how hard it is. Sold for 15% less than book value in the end and it was low mileage. 50% depreciation in 15 months !!
If you have something rare that u cant get here, definitely a different matter.
Mine's great & well worth the hassle !! vrooommmm !!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BATS666
the only way I'd ship anything over that you can already buy in Oz, would be if you intended to drive it until it fell apart. as a grey import you'd never get the same price as one originally sold here, so the resale value would be low....that's if u can get a buyer at all !
add the current UK value to the shipping cost + insurance + the GST & import duty (20%) + a whole stack of other charges and it all adds up. If this is STILL less than the Oz price it might be worth it. If not leave it with a relative to sell for you. I did that and it took 3 months so i know how hard it is. Sold for 15% less than book value in the end and it was low mileage. 50% depreciation in 15 months !!
If you have something rare that u cant get here, definitely a different matter.
Mine's great & well worth the hassle !! vrooommmm !!
thanks I recone that it looks like I will be taking a loss either way
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Hi
Just wondered where you got your Ro-Ro quote from.
I know it is a different journey but I transported my Mazda Bongo ( about 4.5 metres long and over 2.1 metres tall) from Japan to the UK for less than £1000....cant quite remember but it was about £700 or there abouts.
That was Roll-on-Roll-off...took about 90 days or so port to port!
HKA
x
Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
Hi
Just wondered where you got your Ro-Ro quote from.
I know it is a different journey but I transported my Mazda Bongo ( about 4.5 metres long and over 2.1 metres tall) from Japan to the UK for less than £1000....cant quite remember but it was about £700 or there abouts.
That was Roll-on-Roll-off...took about 90 days or so port to port!
HKA
x
cheers for that' that sounds more like it £1000 would make sence to ship it across
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

That quote is from BIGAPE off here
I have the documents to prove such figures.
That why you didnt bother to reply to my post them?
I shall refrain from posting the actuall indepents costs for each indiviual service GST/TAX'S thats why i put a total of £6k to crate and £5k to ro ro

If you think its gonna be a grand total,then ill pay ya double to ship mine over and pay all charges
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

.........................oh dear!

Lindsay x
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

cheers for that' that sounds more like it £1000 would make sence to ship it across
You can ship it for £5 if you like.

Actually, you cannot, and as others have said, it's going to cost at leats £5000 to ship it. But given someone said a grand, you obviously like that figure. However, in the same sentence the person said this was a few years ago shipping from Japan to the UK (one would think a slight difference to the UK to Aus), and there are many other costs to consider.

Insurance is a big one - getting insurance will be hard and expeinsive on an unknown product.

It really is rarely worth it.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

....Oh, I forgot, you also pay stamp duty on 2nd hand cars in Oz. about 3%. and, yes, that's on private purchases as well as from a dealer !!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:13 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, there is a LOT involved in this process. If you would like to read the article I wrote (see link below) it should bring you up to speed on what needs to be done.

Importing Your Car to Australia

£700 sounds about right for a RO-RO UK-AUS , but (and it's a HUGE but) you also have to add Shipping Insurance, Duty (10% customs value), GST (10% Customs Value + Shipping), Agent & Dock fees in Australia, Vehicle Compliance (may be lot if your vehicle doesn't meet Australian spec), On the Road costs for your States transport body (VicRoads in Victoria) including Vehicle Stamp Duty for a 2nd Hand Car (yes you get charged to register your own car as if you just bought it!)

As a stab in the dark a vehicle valued in the UK at £8,000 and a customs value of A$16,250 (~60% of A$25,000 street value) would cost in the region of £4,700 to ship to Australia and get it on the road in Victoria

If you provide the following information I can try and give you a more realistic estimate on the costs involved
  • Make
  • Model
  • Model Type
  • Body Type
  • Engine size
  • Transmission
  • Year of Manufacture
  • Mileage
  • Condition
  • What you believe the car is worth in the UK ?

So an example would be:
  • Make: Toyota
  • Model: Land Cruiser
  • Model Type: LC4
  • Body Type: 4 Door
  • Engine size: 2982cc
  • Transmission: Manual 4x4/4x2
  • Year of Manufacture: 2004
  • Mileage: 15,000m
  • Condition: Excellent
  • What you believe the car is worth ? £15,000. Usually £21,000 but the market is not good now

Be as specific as possible as it helps to focus the response.

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Feb 19th 2009 at 2:23 am.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigAPE
£700 sounds about right for a RO-RO UK-AUS , but (and it's a HUGE but) you also have to add Shipping Insurance, Duty (10% customs value), GST (10% Customs Value + Shipping), Agent & Dock fees in Australia, Vehicle Compliance (may be lot if your vehicle doesn't meet Australian spec), On the Road costs for your States transport body (VicRoads in Victoria) including Vehicle Stamp Duty for a 2nd Hand Car (yes you get charged to register your own car as if you just bought it!)

Al
Al
one thing i'd question about your calculations, you don't get charged stamp duty when you import your own car. vehicle regn fees are not the same thing.
My vehicle regn fees were about $200 for the first 6 months. If I'd paid stamp duty (about 3% depending on the vehicle) I'd have paid about $1,500, which I'm bloody sure I didn't !
I asked about stamp duty at the Regn Office and they said I didnt pay it as it wasn't a new car to me.
P
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:41 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BATS666
one thing i'd question about your calculations, you don't get charged stamp duty when you import your own car. vehicle regn fees are not the same thing.

My vehicle regn fees were about $200 for the first 6 months. If I'd paid stamp duty (about 3% depending on the vehicle) I'd have paid about $1,500, which I'm bloody sure I didn't ! I asked about stamp duty at the Regn Office and they said I didnt pay it as it wasn't a new car to me.
OK, not Stamp Duty then... sorry wrong term. It's the Transfer Duty (just checked). It is payable in Victoria @ 4% Customs Valuation on an initial registration of an imported vehicle. I know, I paid it.

The figures I have using are what I was charged, end to end on-the-road to on-the-road. There may be some regional differences in each state (VAS Inspection is not required in QLD for example), but it's correct for Victoria and the vast majority of the costs are country wide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.