Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Take stock, because most return home.

Take stock, because most return home.

Old Aug 27th 2005, 11:10 pm
Banned

Bizarre will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
No :scared:

It's definitely not a good idea to mix Indian and Pakistanis up :scared:

Talking of which, it's really funny when people refer to going for a curry as "going for an Indian"....especially when quite often they are Pakistanis who own it
I think most "Indian" take aways in the UK are actually owned by Bangladeshi's and they HATE being mixed up with Pakistanis.

While we are on the argument of who can call who what depending on skin colour etc I think it is worth mentioning that a lot of my black friends call each other "Nigga" in the same way rap stars like Snoop and Dre do but I am pretty sure if I called them this name I would be visiting the casualty department. Not that I would call them it.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 11:12 pm
BLC

Originally Posted by Bizarre
I think most "Indian" take aways in the UK are actually owned by Bangladeshi's and they HATE being mixed up with Pakistanis.

While we are on the argument of who can call who what depending on skin colour etc I think it is worth mentioning that a lot of my black friends call each other "Nigga" in the same way rap stars like Snoop and Dre do but I am pretty sure if I called them this name I would be visiting the casualty department. Not that I would call them it.
And there are some choice words in your avatar How do you get away with that one with the current censorship situation?

Old Aug 27th 2005, 11:17 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

...a lot of my black friends call each other "Nigga" in the same way rap stars like Snoop and Dre do but I am pretty sure if I called them this name I would be visiting the casualty department. Not that I would call them it.
I was once trying to reverse my car outside a supermarket in the UK and couldn't get out for two people screaming at each other.

They'd obviously fallen out over something as they were effin and blindin at each other and calling each other "black bastards" this and "black bastards that

Twas incredulous.......... cos both parties were black

Old Aug 27th 2005, 11:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BLC
And there are some choice words in your avatar How do you get away with that one with the current censorship situation?
Censorship? What censorship?
Old Aug 27th 2005, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

I'd say the stats about how many people stay and go are pretty accurate, so no debate there. However the issue of homesickness that Charmol has addressed is still a very real issue as is the toll it can take on a relationship.

Many of the immigrant I know are divorced. I really do not think it's the fault of immigration per se, but rather that the stress of it all extracts a toll that only a very healthy relationship can pay. I know for a fact that during the whole immigration thing and even for months afterwards my partner & I were on the verge of killing each other so many times that at least one friend of mine decided her marriage would not survive immigration no matter how much they wanted it.

Homesickness is also not a rational choice you make. You don't sit down and tell yourself you are now going to be homesick. And when you get it, no amount of reasonable rationing is going to make you not feel the way you do. It's all emotional and anyone who knows anything about humanity knows we are hugely driven by our emotions, even those who claim to be rational.

Charmol, I hope it all works out for you when you go home. Try to think of it as a wonderful experience and learning curve. I am sure you have learnt much through it, good and bad. If nothing else you can always tell yourself that you gave it your best go. It's not a test after all, going back does not = failure in anything. You do what you have to do and go where you are happy. Personally I believe that's why the planet is so big - so we can have choices.

Those of us who do not share your feelings of homesickness will stay and enjoy what we have here. I, personally, do not even want to be burried in the UK. I'd haunt whomever did that to me!
Old Aug 27th 2005, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

You should of left the cats behind. they are not wanted in this eco system and can only cause harm.
Meow? and your point is?
Old Aug 27th 2005, 11:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by G'Day
Meow? and your point is?
Well, as you have quoted me you should see that the point I am making is clear. Cats are an introduced predator and can only harm the wildlife on this island.

There are enough beautiful animals here so why the need to bring cats?

I watched a cat stalk and maim an owl near our house last year, I run over as quickly as I could and the cat run off but the owl had injuries which killed it. I took it to a rescue place but they said it was too badly injured to be saved. We got talking about the damage cats do to wildlife here, you would be amazed. I am talking feral cats mainly here but how do you think they got there

I think it is a British arrogance thing with bringing cats here, the same as the current problem with rabbits another introduced (By a Brit) pest.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

coxdebra will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by anya4oz
YAY! I've got what she means by 'the advertising motive' now:

'Take stock' means 'remember to take some Bisto with you, cos you can't get it in Oz!'

Phew...

Anya.
been here three weeks, all very different. sorry to hear you are leaving. we all have bad times. your experiences are unique as others are to them. Its interesting to hear of them and I wish you good luck in your future adventures. Never look back, look to the future
Old Aug 28th 2005, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Well, as you have quoted me you should see that the point I am making is clear. Cats are an introduced predator and can only harm the wildlife on this island.

There are enough beautiful animals here so why the need to bring cats?

I watched a cat stalk and maim an owl near our house last year, I run over as quickly as I could and the cat run off but the owl had injuries which killed it. I took it to a rescue place but they said it was too badly injured to be saved. We got talking about the damage cats do to wildlife here, you would be amazed. I am talking feral cats mainly here but how do you think they got there

I think it is a British arrogance thing with bringing cats here, the same as the current problem with rabbits another introduced (By a Brit) pest.
Sorry I think you missed some sarcasm back there, maybe I was just too subtle? Did you notice my avatar by any chance There is not a country in the world that does not have introduced predators and even the "native" dingo in Australia is not really from here at all, but was introduced by the islanders when they first came to Australia. Cats cause damage, yes, but not nearly as much as man does every single living day.

I really understand your issue with owls & the like, they're really cute things, but then I had to fend six crows off a poor owl that got stuck in daylight the other day, he was pretty badly messed up too, so what do you suppose we do with these crows now?

I have nice fat cats. Generally they are inside cats but I recently let one of them out when he went bananas to get out and he brought me home a massive rat. Good kitty!
Old Aug 28th 2005, 12:20 am
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
No :scared:

It's definitely not a good idea to mix Indian and Pakistanis up :scared:
so why Kashmir?
Old Aug 28th 2005, 12:23 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gogdownunder
so why Kashmir?
Because they wouldn't take Chequesmir

A
Old Aug 28th 2005, 12:30 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by kirsty&al

A
ROFPMSL

Very witty

Old Aug 28th 2005, 12:32 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by IndieGirl

Cheers
Anya

Too many Anyas on this forum, that's what I say. They must be taking over :scared:

Anya.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 12:33 am
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kirsty&al

A
shame about the millions of dead though
Old Aug 28th 2005, 12:33 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

You should of left the cats behind. they are not wanted in this eco system and can only cause harm.
BE Forum Great Old Chesnuts #5,134,287 again, I see.

BORINGGGGGG!

Anya.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.