Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Take stock, because most return home.

Take stock, because most return home.

Old Aug 27th 2005, 6:27 pm
I liek beer

DevMountain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Originally Posted by Bizarre
BTW "Abbo" is not a nice thing to call the aboriginals.
I was not aware of that - isn't it just a shortened version of Aboriginal (like smoko, trucky, etc)?
Old Aug 27th 2005, 7:24 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by hoops
Couldn't have said it better myself!!! Lifes adventures - something to tell the grandchildren.

Hoops (mrs)
People keep saying they want to immigrate to OZ to have an " Adventure" or for " the Adventure of it" if you want an adventure go on a long overseas holiday, it works out alot cheaper then immigrating to a country then returning home because it does'nt work out. If thats the main reason people want to immigrate to OZ then no wonder so many go back because the adventure will soon wear off after a few months.

Last edited by wombat42; Aug 27th 2005 at 7:55 pm.

Old Aug 27th 2005, 7:50 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DevMountain
I was not aware of that - isn't it just a shortened version of Aboriginal (like smoko, trucky, etc)?
It is a shortened version but only in the same way that 'paki' is a shortened version of pakistani - they're both highly derogative and have negative connotations.

usuall its preceded by 'bloody' in daily use
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wombat42
People keep saying they want to immigrate to OZ to have an " Adventure" or for " the Adventure of it" if you want an adventure go on a long overseas holiday, it works out alot cheaper then immigrating to a country then returning home because it does'nt work out. If thats the main reason people want to immigrate to OZ then no wonder so many go back because the adventure will soon wear off after a few months.

Thats rubbish Wombat. We ARE doing all this for the adventure of it. Now empty nesters and doing just what we want when we want, which, does include wanting to live in Australia. 2,3 or 4yrs from now we might decide to try somewhere else...or.. we might not!
Not everyone who emigrates has 2.4 children, dog, cat and big restrictions and commitments.

I accept that if my kids were still small i would not do it for the adventure but thats not us now and we ARE
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:25 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

That's a good analogy, albeit a harsh one. Of course it's all relevant to the person/people concerned. Some genuinly do come for an adventure therefore accept a higher than normal risk that they will go back to their original homeland.

I'm not so sure it's the main reason most people come to Aus. Most people I imagine want this to be their home, but for whatever individual reason, their life just doesn't fit in to the Australian culture...... or vice versa.

Moving here is one of the most difficult, stressful and emotional things you could do. "Living the dream" is equally as hard.For some us us it's fantastic and the best thing ever, whilst for others it's the worse thing ever. That's luck of the draw I suppose. None the less anyone unhappy deserve our compassion providing they do something about it.

Migrating to Aus is, as they say, done on a "whinge and a preyer"

Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:32 pm
BLC

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Moving here is one of the most difficult, stressful and emotional things you could do. "Living the dream" is equally as hard.For some us us it's fantastic and the best thing ever, whilst for others it's the worse thing ever. That's luck of the draw I suppose. None the less anyone unhappy deserve our compassion providing they do something about it.
Here, here

I do smile at those critics that come on and pass comment when they have not been through something similiar themselves.

How the heck can they offer a realistic view? Basically you are guessing how someone feels, even I that has been to Oz, now back in UK and maybe back to Oz can't understand fully what the OP was feeling, I can only empathise.

Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A question to the posters who are making short replies...

If the original poster had left out the bit about "because most return home", how do you really think the post would have been ?

eg: With Revised heading "Take stock, because some return home"

I moved out to Australia two years ago. We sold a business in the UK and came out here with all our belongings including two cats. On arrival I got a job almost immediately and then we bought a house. We really gave the country a go, despite our belongings going missing in shipping for six months (do not use Robinsons Removals) and our cats coming out of quarantine emaciated. Still we persisted.

I thought that each time that I did something like get a job, that that would help me settle. Still unsettled, I thought well when I buy a house then I will feel like this is really home.
But what you don't plan for are the events that evolve back home, a funeral, wedding, christening... After a while one step forward can be knocked by two steps back. Then you realise that this is a hard country to get ahead in, it's not as easy as the trade fairs make out. Businesses are not that easy to set up and the supply chains if you are importing can be frustrating. House prices are comparable to the Uk (gone are the days of being able to buy a house with a pool for a the equivalent of a UK terrace, unless you move to the remote areas).

So, whilst you are struggling to establish your work, life and home, the feelings of isolation and frustration (basically homesickness) set in. Then you start blaming eachother. Your relationship really can suffer. This has been my experience.

Consequently, I can't understate how much I now appreciate what I had in the UK.
But always the optomist, we tried to turn this experience into something positive. We decided this was not the place for us, but we could not return immediately because of the house. So my boyfriend decided to train to be a pilot here (a dream of his and a lot cheaper to train here than at home) and I made plans for the move back home. All the things I wish I had done before coming out here. <<snip>>

Finally before I write War and Peace II, this may make someone take stock: with the selling of our property and business and the flights and accommodation and all the other costs of emigrating it cost us about $40,000 to come out here.
So please think about it hard, because it is not just the emotions that get knocked. And if you want a change, just think of the great holiday you could go on with that money.
What most agree on is that to make it work here, it is not really down to how much you feel disillusioned with the UK, it is really about how much you love Australia.

In my view, the remainder is a pretty realistic view for a number of people, and can be sufficient for a small number to return home.

Less can sometimes be more.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

In your opionion I think you mean, yes?
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:45 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by BLC
Here, here

I do smile at those critics that come on and pass comment when they have not been through something similiar themselves.

How the heck can they offer a realistic view? Basically you are guessing how someone feels, even I that has been to Oz, now back in UK and maybe back to Oz can't understand fully what the OP was feeling, I can only empathise.
Ayup bacon, lettuce and errrr cucumber [I always think of BLT when I see Ur user name...lol ]

I agree 100%. How can ANYONE know how anyone else is feeling cos it's unique to the individual

What I have a problem with is someone constantly whinging and doing nothing about it. That IS something we can all change....and the OP did this so all hats off to him.

I read this Chinese proverb today:

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back"

And I thought "WOW"...how poignant ......and how true

Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond]A question to the posters who are making short replies...

If the original poster had left out the bit about "because most return home", how do you really think the post would have been ?

eg: With Revised heading "Take stock, because some return home"

Absolutely. The title has wound people up without realising it

BTW Abbo and Paki are not derogatory titles. They obviously are if preceded with bl**** and f****** but apart from that no. They are not taken as such by pakistanis or aborigines only by certain members of the "white middle class". Stani is another word for state so a Paki is a person from Paki State. A person from Pakistan would be far more insulted by being called a Bangladeshi or an Indian than they ever would being called a Paki.

Back on track, to the OP good luck with whatever you end up doing wherever. As long as you and yours are happy nothing else matters, certainly not other people's opinions.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Maybe it depends a lot on where you move to in Aus? And also how many poms you know. I don't know of any up here that want to go back to Blighty. All my pommy mates are happy here and have no need to go back at all and I know a lot of poms!

I would imagine Sydney a hard and expensive place to settle in much like moving to London and expecting to be able to afford a house!

It just shows how different everyones experiences are. Aus is not for everyone but just because you were born in the Uk does not mean you want to go back and die there! I for one want my body buried someone warm and cosy thanks
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:32 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

why dont you try it ? walk down the road find some indigenous peoples and refer to them as abbo's - like 'hey could one of you abbo's tell me the time? '

I'll lend you 50c for the medicare contribution.

I must be sooo middle classed. In my experience the only people who can use paki are pakistanis - to have it come from the mouth of a white person is derogatory. My pakistani friends told me so - they call each other paki's all the time but if they get called it by a white guy its an insult. hey-ho.

(AUS) Australian aboriginal. This used to be the standard common term for Aboriginals, and was used by many Aboriginal people themselves (It was not considered offensive until the 1950s)

Paki
(UK & Commonwealth) a Pakistani or other South Asian (regarded as offensive when spoken by non-Pakistanis or non-Indians, though not normally regarded as offensive in Australia and Canada)

And just cos I was on the website ;-)
Pom, Pohm, Pommy
(AUS/NZ/SA) a British (usually English) person. Some claim it derives from "Prisoner of Her Majesty", but it probably derives from "immigrant, jimmygrant, pommygrant". It is often used irreverantly and is not usually considered offensive. Many such migrants to Australia call themselves "ten pound poms", because they paid ten pounds for their passage to Australia in the 1950s. Often combined with an adjective, particularly whingeing pom, a reference to migrants who complained about their adopted country.

Last edited by spalen; Aug 27th 2005 at 9:54 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:36 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

I lived just outside Bradford, one of the largest Pakistani and Indian communities in UK.

I was employed by the second largest employer in Bradford, second to Bradford Council.

As part of my job, I was heavilly involved with the Pakistani community and they HATED being referred to as Paki's. This was regardless of the word being prefixed with another or not.

Paki is not a word anyone would use as it was deemed by the Pakistani community as being disrespectful, however well intended.

Old Aug 27th 2005, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
I lived just outside Bradford, one of the largest Pakistani and Indian communities in UK.

I was employed by the second largest employer in Bradford, second to Bradford Council.

As part of my job, I was heavilly involved with the Pakistani community and they HATED being referred to as Paki's. This was regardless of the word being prefixed with another or not.

Paki is not a word anyone would use as it was deemed by the Pakistani community as being disrespectful, however well intended.

Are you sure you didn't call an Indian that? LOL That's probably why they were upset??

Just kidding - no offense intended to any pakistani

Anya
Old Aug 27th 2005, 10:39 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Are you sure you didn't call an Indian that? LOL That's probably why they were upset??

Just kidding - no offense intended to any pakistani

Anya
No :scared:

It's definitely not a good idea to mix Indian and Pakistanis up :scared:

Talking of which, it's really funny when people refer to going for a curry as "going for an Indian"....especially when quite often they are Pakistanis who own it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.