Sylvania Waters

Old Jul 12th 2004, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Caroline G
I have a 18mnth old son so spend quite a bit of time down the aquadrome myself now too.

We also did our basic sailing skills there. It's a handy place to have nearby but looking forward to sailing in Port Phillip Bay (if it's not too rough!)

Hi Caroline

Did you know that the old Black Beauty TV series was made at the back of there by the canal? Opposite Stockers Lock on other side of the canal....one of my fave places that spot. I remember sitting there one day and a whole swarm of rabbits took off which were invisible in the long grass until they moved..gave me quite a fright!!
Old Jul 12th 2004, 10:58 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

A particularly passionate public debate erupted over the question of whether executive producer of Sylvania Waters, Paul Watson, who also produced The Family for the BBC, had chosen an Australian family which pandered to a British stereotype. Writing in The Sydney Morning Herald popular cultural critic Richard Glover summed up these concerns when he wrote that the family were "hardly a surprising British choice: in Noeline and Laurie, every British preconception about the Aussies comes alive...Meet Australia's new ambassadors: a family whose members are variously materialistic, argumentative, uncultured, heavy drinking and acquisitive".

SYLVANIA WATERS
Old Jul 12th 2004, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
A particularly passionate public debate erupted over the question of whether executive producer of Sylvania Waters, Paul Watson, who also produced The Family for the BBC, had chosen an Australian family which pandered to a British stereotype. Writing in The Sydney Morning Herald popular cultural critic Richard Glover summed up these concerns when he wrote that the family were "hardly a surprising British choice: in Noeline and Laurie, every British preconception about the Aussies comes alive...Meet Australia's new ambassadors: a family whose members are variously materialistic, argumentative, uncultured, heavy drinking and acquisitive".

SYLVANIA WATERS
I think Mr Glover will find it isn't just the Brits who have this stereotyped view of Oz.

Still, after it's broadcast, DIMIA's workload will probably fall
Old Jul 12th 2004, 11:33 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by MikeStanton
I think Mr Glover will find it isn't just the Brits who have this stereotyped view of Oz.

Still, after it's broadcast, DIMIA's workload will probably fall
Let it be a warning to potential "Rent-A-Life" victims.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 1:09 pm
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Originally posted by Megalania

SYLVANIA WATERS
They don't like it up em.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Originally posted by podgypossum
Hi Caroline

Did you know that the old Black Beauty TV series was made at the back of there by the canal? Opposite Stockers Lock on other side of the canal....one of my fave places that spot. I remember sitting there one day and a whole swarm of rabbits took off which were invisible in the long grass until they moved..gave me quite a fright!!
Yes, it's still a lovely spot. However, Watford is expanding at an alarming rate. The town centre on a Saturday night looks like Magaluf & the traffic is getting worse. Bus loads of drinkers come in at the weekend for a booze up & a fight. Still it's got a walkabout bar now...

Rickmansworth is still a nice little town. I am glad that the proposal to build a MacDonalds a few years ago was fervently opposed by the locals BUT it's got a cheap lager pub (one of that chain which I can't remember the name of) at one end the high st. & a few businesses have moved premises because of frequently broken windows & vandalism. I don't think it's going to take long before it's engulfed in the spreading rot.

On a less depressing note can't wait to get to Oz because it has no crime or vandalism