Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In Sydney. Want to start a family and buy a house. Brisbane?

In Sydney. Want to start a family and buy a house. Brisbane?

Old Feb 17th 2007, 12:20 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default In Sydney. Want to start a family and buy a house. Brisbane?

Hey guys/girls. Just been thinking and talking with the wife and some friends. I am 33 next month and the wife will be 35 in a few months. We are looking to start a family around the end of the year. So i hear good things about Brisbane.ie the cost of houses. I have been to and spent a fair bit of time in many of the big cities in Oz but not Brisbane. I love Sydney. But as we all know its expensive. For the moment we have 2 wages coming in so living here and renting is no problem. But lets say the wife stops work due to having a baby. What then? Surviving on 1 wage? We could do it, but would be no room for any saving or going out. So my thoughts are move to QLd and buy a house in a decent area. So we would own the house and would not be paying expensive rent. Though if we moved to Brisbane we would rent to begin with. Work? I'm an electrician who is currently working doing CCTV and the likes. My company has work up there. The wife if she works , would work in an Old Folks home. Sure there are plenty up there. Anyway. I'm looking for those of you who live up there to point us in the right direction. ie a decent area close to bars, shopping malls etc. But still in a quiet suburb. Sell me Brisbane or the surrounding areas. Go on. Convince me it would be the right decision.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 4:38 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In Sydney. Want to start a family and buy a house. Brisbane?

For some reason i thought i'd get many replies to this.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

You say you love Sydney so why not look at the suburbs around there instead of moving to Queensland. South of the city or the north west? I've brought up 4 sons in the Hills District so tend to be a bit bias, but it is a good place to bring up children.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Hey guys/girls. Just been thinking and talking with the wife and some friends. I am 33 next month and the wife will be 35 in a few months. We are looking to start a family around the end of the year. So i hear good things about Brisbane.ie the cost of houses. I have been to and spent a fair bit of time in many of the big cities in Oz but not Brisbane. I love Sydney. But as we all know its expensive. For the moment we have 2 wages coming in so living here and renting is no problem. But lets say the wife stops work due to having a baby. What then? Surviving on 1 wage? We could do it, but would be no room for any saving or going out. So my thoughts are move to QLd and buy a house in a decent area. So we would own the house and would not be paying expensive rent. Though if we moved to Brisbane we would rent to begin with. Work? I'm an electrician who is currently working doing CCTV and the likes. My company has work up there. The wife if she works , would work in an Old Folks home. Sure there are plenty up there. Anyway. I'm looking for those of you who live up there to point us in the right direction. ie a decent area close to bars, shopping malls etc. But still in a quiet suburb. Sell me Brisbane or the surrounding areas. Go on. Convince me it would be the right decision.
Hi

We are in the Hunter Valley, 2 hours from Sydney.....I have posted loads on here promoting the area!! We have 3 kids, lovely place to bring up a family, vineyards on the doorstep (which you need when you have kids!!!), beaches close by and as I said Sydney is only 2 hours away for when we want to visist for the weekend! Newcastle is a decent sized place if the towns in the Hunter Valley are too small.

Agree with Gibbo about researching areas where you can still visit Sydney and all the friends you have probably made. O/H is in the building industry and work is full on round here, also you have the mines if you are looking to earn big $$$ although it is shift work (i think).

Good look with wherever you decide.

Nikki
Old Feb 17th 2007, 6:36 am
Freedom!

Originally Posted by Gibbo
You say you love Sydney so why not look at the suburbs around there instead of moving to Queensland. South of the city or the north west? I've brought up 4 sons in the Hills District so tend to be a bit bias, but it is a good place to bring up children.
Its not really all about the kids. Its about being able to afford a house, kids and a decent lifstyle. Would you pay 400k for a 2 bed unit if you could get a 3 bed room house for 200-250K?
Old Feb 17th 2007, 6:38 am
Freedom!

BTW i like city lifestyle and hate the country.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 7:04 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
BTW i like city lifestyle and hate the country.
But would Brisbane have the 'right' sort of city life for you? It certainly hasn't for me, and I would rather be mortgaged in Sydney than mortgage free in Brisbane.

S
Old Feb 17th 2007, 7:13 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

We're bayside and you're looking at around $450 for a fairly decent 3-4 bed house. Can get cheaper but more likely need work. On the train line with decent Malls close by. No real beach to speak of but great kids parks and big esplanade for walking. Good few OAP homes around the area.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:12 pm
Freedom!

Anyone else got more info regarding good areas in Brisbane?