Sydney IT wages

Old Jul 5th 2008, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of
Default Sydney IT wages

Can someone with experience in this area tell me what would be realistic salary expectations for the following roles in large financial organisations in Sydney:

IT Project Manager managing small projects and matrix managing small flexible teams.

IT Project Manager line managing fixed team.

Also any advice on what I could expect in those roles in terms of the following:
Base
Super
Standard Staff Bonus
Additional Performance Bonuses

Any advice much appreciated.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 11:32 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sydney IT wages

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton
Can someone with experience in this area tell me what would be realistic salary expectations for the following roles in large financial organisations in Sydney:

IT Project Manager managing small projects and matrix managing small flexible teams.

Also any advice on what I could expect in those roles in terms of the following:
Base
Super
Standard Staff Bonus

Google "Hays Salary Survey" - its pretty accurate

Buzzy
Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sydney IT wages

Thanks Buzzy Bee. Any idea of the salaries quoted in Hays Survey (just looked at it) are quoting the entire package? Been speaking to agents and stuff over here and everything seems to be in packages. in the UK it tends to be your basic that is quoted.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

hippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nice

Base
Super
Standard Staff Bonus

About 80k-(AUD) I think.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:47 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Buzzy Bee. Any idea of the salaries quoted in Hays Survey (just looked at it) are quoting the entire package? Been speaking to agents and stuff over here and everything seems to be in packages. in the UK it tends to be your basic that is quoted.
I took them to be basic but could be wrong, as usual.

Just make sure that, when you're negotiating, you are all clear what you are talking about and what you'll end up with in your bank account.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hippyboy1
About 80k-(AUD) I think.
one of my mates is contracting on over $1000 per day as a PM. He's working with people on $1500 per day as well.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 3:42 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
one of my mates is contracting on over $1000 per day as a PM. He's working with people on $1500 per day as well.
Yep, its criminal....
Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

A lot of salaries are quoted including super so be careful you know exactly what they are talking about. We have found senior salaries to be approximately 1/3 lower than London (permanent rates) and the kind of extras that you assume will be included generally aren't (private health insurance for the family, car allowance etc.). Most people in IT seem to end up with a "starter job" as contacts are everything here. Also, the recruitment process seems to be incredibly slow and everything goes through agents who often appear to invent non-existent jobs to get you through the door. In our experience it takes a year or so to start to get back to where you were in the UK which isn't too bad I guess.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Hi Ross - I've contacted a few agents who have put me forward for a few permanent roles both of which are similar salary to what I'm on but I do notice they tend to quote salaries inclusive of super and some other things. Waiting to hear whether the companies want to take it any further. How is the IT market out here at present? I find Sydney is very much a London mentality in terms of commutes to work etc and house prices and the general hassle people put up with however the wages are far lower than London.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:39 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sydney IT wages

I find Sydney is very much a London mentality in terms of commutes to work etc and house prices and the general hassle people put up with however the wages are far lower than London.
Have you considered Melbourne? For project management the wages are actually higher than Sydney.

Buzzy
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Ideally i'd like to be in Sydney as my girlfriend is there. I assume people live in Sydney and work in Melbourne on contracts however just as people travel all over the uk for contract work or is the contracting culture different here?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:25 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Ideally i'd like to be in Sydney as my girlfriend is there. I assume people live in Sydney and work in Melbourne on contracts however just as people travel all over the uk for contract work or is the contracting culture different here?
Yes flying between states is relatively common, we have a number of people who fly into Perth for the week and head back somewhere else for their weekend.
Salaries in Perth and Sydney are pretty well on a par now, for a perm role you would be looking at anything from around $130-$150K inc Super as a guide, specific client and whether any specific skills etc are required may alter this a little bit.
Contract rates vary quite a bit, probably anything from $750 + as a guide
Most packages over here are generally as simple as Salary plus Super (9%)

If you do go down the contracting route and travel interstate, I would suggest talking to a contractor management company in the first instance, they will quickly be able to explain benefits you can claim and get you up and running (ie, LAFHA (living away from home allowance) ) you'll be entitled to this if travelling interstate and it can make a huge difference to take home pay as you can claim an allowance towards Flights, accomodation, food etc.
Further down the track if contracting is the way forward for you, you'll probably end up setting up your own Pty Ltd and getting an ABN and a good accountant.
If you want details of someone to talk to re the contract managament I can put you in contact with someone iv'e used, just drop me a PM.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice

Base
Super
Standard Staff Bonus

I work as an IT Manager for a large architectural firm in Sydney.

I found the whole job application process a bit of a nightmare really.

Don't want to be negative but don't rely on the recruitment guys for accurate advice - they will tell you what you want to hear and very rarely come up with the goods.

Its obvious to say but remember they don't work for you - they work for the job provider!

PM me if you want any advice.....

It is worth it in the end tho!! :-)
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:43 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s1mon321
Its obvious to say but remember they don't work for you - they work for the job provider!
I disagree - its a lot harder to sell a product you cant control than it is to find a buyer in a market crying out for quality product.

If the recruiter doesnt have quality product he's not going to make any money.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steve99
I disagree - its a lot harder to sell a product you cant control than it is to find a buyer in a market crying out for quality product.

If the recruiter doesnt have quality product he's not going to make any money.
They make up for it with the gigantic number of temps they churn out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.