Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney vs Melbourne

Sydney vs Melbourne

Old Jan 16th 2009, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Aussie_Pete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney vs Melbourne

Did anyone or is anyone currently, going through the dilemas of where to move to in OZ?!

Typical brits....just wanting out of UK, and have narrowed it down to either Sydney or Melbourne (a choice each between me and the wife).

I know this is a very individual question, but just wanted the pros and cons of each for anyone who's either done more research than us or lives in each of them? Been for a reccy and love both of them!!

Cheers,

Pete
Old Jan 16th 2009, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Melbourne_Molly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sydney vs Melbourne

I had that problem too, but as you will see from my screen name, I got there in the end!!!

Old Jan 17th 2009, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melbourne_Molly
I had that problem too, but as you will see from my screen name, I got there in the end!!!

After you have finished raising her one "opera house" and she has called your bluff with "more european culture" I think you should go back to basics...weather. Day to day life is mostly affected by weather not size of harbours or number of cool cafe's. Pick the one with the weather that suits both of you best - or better still move to Queensland .
Old Jan 17th 2009, 1:57 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sydney vs Melbourne

Melbourne.

Does that answer your question?

Buzzy
Old Jan 17th 2009, 2:02 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne for culture, gardens, more like a European city, great dining out and live shows, far less humid than Sydney, Grand Prix, Australian Open etc
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Melbourne for us had all the pluses of a large city without it feeling as big as it is, I kind of think every area of Australia is like Marmite you either love it or you don't, been to Melbourne 3 times now and the last 2 times i've been it feels like 'coming home' so I suggest you visit both cities if possible before committing to one or another?
Sydney is big and feels big, overpowering in places to be honest. There are pluses but as you said they're very individual things.

The most important thing is to try and visit and it's funny how soon you can picture yourself being somewhere ?

Never base your decision on someone else's preferences though.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:16 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney if you can afford it.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:21 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Sydney if you can afford it.
That's the crunch... property is way cheaper to buy in Melbourne...
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:25 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
That's the crunch... property is way cheaper to buy in Melbourne...
Exactly, I live in Melbourne and I do like it here. But I would move to Sydney if I could afford to.

Not only that but always going to be easier to relocate from Sydney to Melbourne than vis versa.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

There is one really good thing about all this, doesn't matter which one you go to you can easily visit the other, so many cheap flights now and it seems like more will be on the way. Watch out though, the fares are often much less than the taxes which are not advertised as much.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Matello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant future

Judging by the replies on here it seems most are Melbournians stuck indoors on their computers whilst the Sydneysiders are all out enjoying themselves
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:51 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Matello
Judging by the replies on here it seems most are Melbournians stuck indoors on their computers whilst the Sydneysiders are all out enjoying themselves
Actually, some of us are stuck indoors here in the drizzly UK :-)

My vote goes to Melbourne (and yes, I've been to both places).

- CDM
Old Jan 17th 2009, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Matello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CDM
Actually, some of us are stuck indoors here in the drizzly UK :-)

My vote goes to Melbourne (and yes, I've been to both places).

- CDM
I've considered Australia and come down to Sydney/Melbourne.

The factors I see to take into consideration are:
Work availability
Cost of Living
Weather
Friends/Network

Lastly and probably not one to make a decision on but:
Nastiest Insects
Old Jan 17th 2009, 9:43 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matello
...Lastly and probably not one to make a decision on but:
Nastiest Insects
Both got plenty of them...

And I ran over a red belly a few weeks ago...! Near Bayview golf course here on the Northern Beaches...
Old Jan 17th 2009, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=DrWho;7181761]Both got plenty of them...
QUOTE]

Melbourne doesn't have funnel web spiders though does it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.