Sydney via LA?

Old Apr 30th 2003, 6:47 am
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road
Default Sydney via LA?

Hi All,
The planning has now started in earnest for our October departure to Sydney.
On the way out we’d like to get an American “fix� and are planning an LA, Las Vegas San Fran tour added advantage is to, hopefully, avoid SARS related areas. Couple of quick questions related to this.
We’re looking to take advantage of the double baggage allowance, any idea who flies to Sydney via LA and offers this service to migrants? I know Qantas don’t.
Also to avoid hiring a MPV or SUV any idea if they have a left luggage office at the Airport if so which terminal? Or any experiences of letting luggage go on unaccompanied to be picked up a couple of weeks later in Sydney?

Cheer,

Dinky
Old Apr 30th 2003, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice
Default Re: Sydney via LA?

Hi Dinky,

We are flying via the states in August and are going with United Airlines. I booked it earlier in the year and they were the cheapest. They definitely fly LA - SYD as that is our last leg of the journey (and also SF - SYD I think). I have been told that the standard baggage allowance is 32kg each on nearly all the American airlines but I haven't had that confirmed in writing as yet.
Hope this helps.

Julie
Old Apr 30th 2003, 10:15 am

Originally posted by Macquarie
Hi Dinky,

We are flying via the states in August and are going with United Airlines. I booked it earlier in the year and they were the cheapest. They definitely fly LA - SYD as that is our last leg of the journey (and also SF - SYD I think). I have been told that the standard baggage allowance is 32kg each on nearly all the American airlines but I haven't had that confirmed in writing as yet.
Hope this helps.

Julie
Thanks a lot Julie. The Double baggage allowance is fairly key to me as it will allow us to be self sufficient for a couple of months until the container arrives ( the Mrs has a lot of shoes!!!;-) )

Dinky
Old Apr 30th 2003, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

geehaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We're thinking of going the same route and have justed called United (0845 8444 777) and they have confirmed that each person is allowed 2 pieces of baggage, EACH weighing up to 32 Kg, i.e. a total of 64Kg per person.

Better value than the QANTAS Migrant fare by far!
For good fares, check out www.expedia.co.uk

Gee

Originally posted by Macquarie
Hi Dinky,

Hope this helps.

Julie
Old Apr 30th 2003, 11:52 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by geehaf
Hi,

We're thinking of going the same route and have justed called United (0845 8444 777) and they have confirmed that each person is allowed 2 pieces of baggage, EACH weighing up to 32 Kg, i.e. a total of 64Kg per person.

Thanks Geehaf,
Couple of questions:
1. Is the 2x32kg available all the way thru to Australia?
2. Are you stopping in LA for a period of time on route? If so any ideas regarding left luggage?

Thanks,

Dinky
Old Apr 30th 2003, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

When I came out 10 years ago to Auckland I flew Air NZ, got the double baggage allowance, and believe the flight that does LA Auckland then goes on to Sydney.
Had to get off the pale in LA, we all were put in a transit lounge for 2 hours with min facilities and then reloaded onto the same plane to complete the journey to Auckland.

Took 26 hours and Sydney would be an extra 3 hours.

Regarding your plan to holiday in LA , I considered the same but decided against it because.

1) I was carrying loads of what I considered critical documents for my new life and didn't fancy leaving them somewhere for 2 weeks or carrying them around with me for 2 weeks.

2) What would happen if my passport got stolen duing this holiday, would they still let me into NZ or would I have to go back to UK and sort out a new passport.

3) I'd had my luggage and airline tickets stolen on a previous holiday to the States (luckly not my passport) and realised what a DISASTER it would be during my move to NZ if it happened again.

4) Had I organized everything for my arrival in Auckland Accomadation, bank accounts, money transfer, etc or had I dropped a clanger somewhere.

The stress levels for the above would have ensured that the holiday would have been a diasaster.

You may be a more layed back person than me, but the closer the depature comes the more the stress level goes up.

Australia is a fantastic place for a holiday anyway, and a great place to live.
Old May 1st 2003, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Only thing I can say is be careful of booking and paying for a ticket with United too far in advance because they are on the verge of bankruptcy, so you could have problems if your booking is too far out.

Second thing you might want to take into consideration, is you you do come to the US/Australia via Qantas/BA you could get frequent flyer miles. Once you get to Australia get a Qantas visa card and the miles will soon add up for free trips back to the UK.

Also I agree rather than leave any luggage in the airport for a couple of weeks I would send it as unaccompanied baggage.

Re your US travels, one thing you might want to keep in mind, try and get to Las Vegas on weekdays as they give the accomodation away Sunday thru thursday, can get a room at a first class hotel for $49, on Friday-Saturday prices sky rocket for the same room up to $159.