Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney trains - are they really that bad?

Sydney trains - are they really that bad?

Old Nov 22nd 2004, 9:33 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sydney trains - are they really that bad?

As someone who has spent several years relying on the London tube network to get to work (not any more and would not return) is the train system in Sydney really that bad? Or do Sydneysiders have a higher expectation than Londoners?

I had read a bit ago re the shortage of drivers -obviously not yet solved, so is it yet on the MODL?

free transport for the day
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 9:35 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney trains - are they really that bad?

Originally Posted by walaj
As someone who has spent several years relying on the London tube network to get to work (not any more and would not return) is the train system in Sydney really that bad? Or do Sydneysiders have a higher expectation than Londoners?

I had read a bit ago re the shortage of drivers -obviously not yet solved, so is it yet on the MODL?

I started a thread on this earlier.

It is heresy to say things like this you know

G
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 9:37 am
ABCDiamond

Sydney trains are worse than Brisbane trains, but I can't compare to the UK ones, it's been too long since I ventured onto a UK train.

Old Nov 22nd 2004, 9:39 am
PommieLeague

They are double decker trains for a start and I coulnt fault them when I spent 6 weeks in Sydney last year! They are far better and cleaner than the London Tube.

Old Nov 22nd 2004, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

I'd say the services are about the same - both could be improved a lot. !!
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 7:07 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Try and get that one past the unions. Cityrail has gone the way of Britishrail. There have been quite a few days now where 0% of trains have run on time.

I used to get the train 2 years ago however I now drive. Mrs BP gets the bus and 2 trains to North Sydney every day. Over the last year matters have been getting worse and worse. I now estimate she is at least 20 minutes late twice a week and 30 mins or more 1 a week.

Since weekend schedules were cut to provide more drivers for the week cases of Mondayitus have shot up. Monday mornings can be bad on the railways.

I have also noticed the standard of cleanliness of the trains plummet and now prefer the bus.

Bob Carr is crapping himself he will lose the election on this issue.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 1:59 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I find them better than London Underground and my local train operator in Kent, but apparently the Bondi Junction line is better than others and that's what I base this opinion on!
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by chels
I find them better than London Underground and my local train operator in Kent, but apparently the Bondi Junction line is better than others and that's what I base this opinion on!
Wife uses the Bondi Junction line. I lived in Woking which was well served by trains. I was rarely late to work and probably home late once a week. Many others were not so fortunate. I used the waterloo and city and northern lines as a commuter and the crowds were bad but the tubes were frequent. Heard some nightmares from friends who were using it last year. The green line in Sydney serving Campbelltown and Liverpool has recenly been slated as one of the worst.

Even worse a mate of mine was late to the pub the other day. I got a whole schooner in before he arrived.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 9:49 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Are you a qualified train driver?

Excellent opportunities exist for current or previously qualified train drivers, and those who have experience as drivers in training and second persons to join RailCorp as suburban electric train drivers to deliver Sydney's transport needs.

CityRail's suburban electric train drivers play a vital role in making RailCorp a safe, efficient, innovative and customer-orientated passenger rail organisation.

A base rate of $802.70 per week plus Industry Allowance and superannuation will be paid while in training. Upon completion of training a base salary of $806.80 per week plus Industry Allowance, superannuation, shift and other allowances will be paid.

Successful applicants will need to undertake job specific ability and aptitude assessments, a comprehensive medical examination, a drug and alcohol test and reference checks including a criminal record check.

Applicants must complete a specific application form which can be obtained by calling (02) 9379 2050 and quoting reference no. CRU 04/42.

Closing date is Friday 3 December 2004

Successful applicants can commence at various times in early 2005. Applicants must be Australian Citizens or permanent residents and be prepared to work overtime and shift work including weekends as required.

RailCorp is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Women are encouraged to apply for this position.

$A 41,953.36 per year base salary + super + shift + overtime. 15 months to train new recruits.

Was not able to find RailCorp's budget but:

Rail chiefs ask for $355m extra

Senior managers have asked for $355 million more than they have been allocated in their budgets to run the state's troubled rail network.

Details of the massive variance, which are outlined in documents leaked to The Sun-Herald, have sparked concerns that further station closures and service cuts are imminent and passenger safety may be jeopardised.

However, RailCorp chief executive Vince Graham has dismissed the Rail Entities 2004/05 Budget Review as nothing more than an internal working paper.

The highly sensitive document reveals that more than 1100 staff have been added to RailCorp without managers accounting for salary costs.

Revenues are an estimated $45 million down on predictions made just several months ago, the document says. And about $80 million that the Government had hoped to save by integrating the state's existing rail bodies was in danger of not being realised.

The $355 million is believed to represent about 15 per cent of the rail budget.

Rail has been losing money for 120 years.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Are you a qualified train driver?

Excellent opportunities exist for current or previously qualified train drivers, and those who have experience as drivers in training and second persons to join RailCorp as suburban electric train drivers to deliver Sydney's transport needs.

CityRail's suburban electric train drivers play a vital role in making RailCorp a safe, efficient, innovative and customer-orientated passenger rail organisation.

A base rate of $802.70 per week plus Industry Allowance and superannuation will be paid while in training. Upon completion of training a base salary of $806.80 per week plus Industry Allowance, superannuation, shift and other allowances will be paid.

Successful applicants will need to undertake job specific ability and aptitude assessments, a comprehensive medical examination, a drug and alcohol test and reference checks including a criminal record check.

Applicants must complete a specific application form which can be obtained by calling (02) 9379 2050 and quoting reference no. CRU 04/42.

Closing date is Friday 3 December 2004

Successful applicants can commence at various times in early 2005. Applicants must be Australian Citizens or permanent residents and be prepared to work overtime and shift work including weekends as required.

RailCorp is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Women are encouraged to apply for this position.

$A 41,953.36 per year base salary + super + shift + overtime. 15 months to train new recruits.

Was not able to find RailCorp's budget but:

Rail chiefs ask for $355m extra

Senior managers have asked for $355 million more than they have been allocated in their budgets to run the state's troubled rail network.

Details of the massive variance, which are outlined in documents leaked to The Sun-Herald, have sparked concerns that further station closures and service cuts are imminent and passenger safety may be jeopardised.

However, RailCorp chief executive Vince Graham has dismissed the Rail Entities 2004/05 Budget Review as nothing more than an internal working paper.

The highly sensitive document reveals that more than 1100 staff have been added to RailCorp without managers accounting for salary costs.

Revenues are an estimated $45 million down on predictions made just several months ago, the document says. And about $80 million that the Government had hoped to save by integrating the state's existing rail bodies was in danger of not being realised.

The $355 million is believed to represent about 15 per cent of the rail budget.

Rail has been losing money for 120 years.
Rail drivers are getting up to $75,000 with the overtime. Rail will make a loss and will always make a loss. Shame car drivers do not have to pay for the congestion railway removes off the roads and the pollution they produce.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 7:04 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/...182157209.html
Costa's time warp: fewer, slower services

By Alexandra Smith, Transport Reporter
December 6, 2004

Page Tools

Parramatta will lose at least 14 per cent of its daily services to the CBD and trains will stop at more stations, significantly increasing trip times, when the new CityRail timetable is introduced.

An analysis of the draft timetable, due to be implemented next September, showed a big drop in services on the western and North Shore lines, said a timetable expert, Geoff Lambert.

Mr Lambert - who is the editor of The Times, the journal of the Australian Association of Time Table Collectors - said daily services from Parramatta would be reduced from 160 to 140, with several terminating at Central's country platform rather than continuing to the City Circle.

Off-peak services in the middle of the day would also be reduced, from seven an hour to five, while between 8am and 9am there would be 11 trains an hour instead of 14 now, he said.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 7:54 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

For what it's worth...

The London Tube drivers' union has just signed a deal that gives them 52 days per annum paid holiday and allows them to earn in excess of 50,000 GBP pa (and it has to be said that the latter salary would barely be enough to get a mortgage on a typical London property).

Hopefully these new conditions should assist with the improvement of what is currently a lamentable service, with some major safety issues (in 2003, the entire Central Line was completely closed for a number of months due to safety problems).

Anya.
Old Dec 21st 2004, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Ansy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydney's cityrail is getting worse. When I first arrived in December 2003, it was acceptable. I lived in the innerwest and a train stopped at my station every 15 to 20 minutes. I usually got to the central station in about 15 minutes.

Then, after the changes, strikes and chaos, it turned into a train every 25 to 30 min and once every 70 min on weekends. The train ride that took me 15min to the central station, started taking 23min. Finally, I got fed up and moved closer to wrk. Now, I just get up and walk to work without worrying about public transport. What's fascinating is that my rent (i.m roughly 2km from the city) is similar to the rent I paid in a suburb 7km from the city, the apt in the city is better
Old Dec 21st 2004, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all

well i dont give a cr*p what anyone says...i was going to epping from artarmon last monday night and i waited for 2.5 f**king hours and when a train (that was goin gto Wyong and stopping in Epping) finally came it drove past us and the voice over said....

"...eerm, sorry ladies and gentlemen...that train was meant to stop here...."

I sh*t you not.
Oh and the point of my story is the trains in Sydney are cr*p at the moment.
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Superior
Should not matter anyway. No self respecting person catches pubic transport. Anyone with pride travel by car.
Pubic transport is for peasants.
This one is living in la la land. Pepperoni for me please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.