Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney Suburbs - Where's Best??

Sydney Suburbs - Where's Best??

Old Nov 6th 2007, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sydney Suburbs - Where's Best??

Hi, we want to live on northern beaches too but are worried about commute for OH. Are there buses from areas such as curl curl, dee why,collaroy etc and if so how long is the journey. We are coming to the conclusion we may have to go inland along the rail line but its not really what we are coming to oz for so any info would be great. Thanks
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

CarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by emigratingherberts
Hi, we want to live on northern beaches too but are worried about commute for OH. Are there buses from areas such as curl curl, dee why,collaroy etc and if so how long is the journey. We are coming to the conclusion we may have to go inland along the rail line but its not really what we are coming to oz for so any info would be great. Thanks
This should help:
http://www.131500.info/realtime/newjourney.asp
You could enter a destination such as Wynyard, Town Hall, or the QVB (Queen Victoria Building) if you don't have an actual destination yet. This site is pretty good at coming up with the travel options, but it will help if you have a good map of Sydney to use alongside it. Once you start to see the bus routes/train lines you might want to use, you can go to the timetables section and print all the details.
If thinking of driving, the time you travel makes a big difference. Some people manage to leave home early (before 6.30) and get a very clear journey into the city - but that's probably only attractive if you can (a) park, and (b) get away from work early too.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

Thanks CarlaA will check that out. He definitely doesn't want to drive. I guess if the buses don't work out we may have to be nearer railway.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:13 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

Bus journey from Pittwater Rd in Dee Why take 45 mins into the centre of Sydney. Buses run every 20 mins during the daytime. You can't get a bus direct from Curl Curl to Sydney, you'll have to change at Manly so the journey will take longer.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 4:33 am
Just Joined

charliegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are coming to live in sydney, then I would definitely try and live near a beach. There are plenty of buses from the northern beaches to the city centre. Buses from Mona Vale take approx 1 hour. From Avalon it's about 1hr15mins. Avalon has a great primary school and a very good secondary school. You should try the cityhobo website and see if answers any of the questions you may have.

If you do end up inland, then being on a train line is a great idea. Chatswood is good. It's a major transport and shopping hub with leafy streets and nice houses.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 5:16 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks CarlaA will check that out. He definitely doesn't want to drive. I guess if the buses don't work out we may have to be nearer railway.
Another useful thing to do is to look on the Sydney Buses website http://www.sydneybuses.info/ where you can look at all the route maps together so it's a bit easier to see where all the routes are. By the way, I don't think you should necessarily 'definitely try to be near a beach'. You will pay a heavy premium for the priveledge - money which may be better spent getting out and about and enjoying this amazing city and country. An hour commute doesn't sounds like fun just to be able to say you're 'beachside' or whatever.

Inner west is the dog's nads as far as I'm concerned!

Graham
Old Nov 9th 2007, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Forest tim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by charliegirl
If you are coming to live in sydney, then I would definitely try and live near a beach. There are plenty of buses from the northern beaches to the city centre. Buses from Mona Vale take approx 1 hour. From Avalon it's about 1hr15mins. Avalon has a great primary school and a very good secondary school. You should try the cityhobo website and see if answers any of the questions you may have.

If you do end up inland, then being on a train line is a great idea. Chatswood is good. It's a major transport and shopping hub with leafy streets and nice houses.
Chatswood is known locally as Chatswoo and Chatswong - I`ll leave you to interpret why.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:38 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Forest tim
Chatswood is known locally as Chatswoo and Chatswong - I`ll leave you to interpret why.
LOL yes I heard that too - although it's actually a very nice area with nice properties.

At the end of the day there are lots and lots of very nice areas in Sydney that are not on or even near to the beach. Indeed I think that alot of the beach suburbs are pretty ugly 1960's concrete jungles full of snobs who can't afford their house 'but at least we've got the right postcode' type people (no offence to anyone who lives near the beach!).

I DO love this city though!

Graham