Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney Suburbs (bankstown) any good?

Sydney Suburbs (bankstown) any good?

Old May 2nd 2008, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Amrohvi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney Suburbs (bankstown) any good?

Hello people,
I´ve been looking at house prices in Sydney and came across Bankstown. The houses are nice and quite cheap. Since I have never been to Sydney been thinking about migrating soon, I would like to know about that area. Do you guys know anything about Bankstown? Is it a nice area?

Sincerely

Amrohvi
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sydney Suburbs (bankstown) any good?

There is a very good reason why the house prices are cheap..............and those reasons don't include it being a desirable suburb
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MartinH
There is a very good reason why the house prices are cheap..............and those reasons don't include it being a desirable suburb

Hello,
May I ask you why? Racial tension? What is the reason?

Amrohvi
Old May 2nd 2008, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Compared to Sydney on average it has a relatively high ethnic population on relatively low income. I'm not being judgemental just stating those are the facts.

http://www.id.com.au/dosydney/default.asp?pg=30&gid=420

Clearly you would need to visit before drawing any firm conclusions
Old May 3rd 2008, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Compared to Sydney on average it has a relatively high ethnic population on relatively low income. I'm not being judgemental just stating those are the facts.

Do you live in Sydney..
Old May 3rd 2008, 12:27 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milly123
Do you live in Sydney..
I do and I would say a lot of the crime stories in the news can be related to Bankstown. Racial tension, low income, gang culture...call it what you will but it is an area of high crime irrespective of the racial/social make up.
Before arriving I was looking at places within 10k of that area and you get a lot for your money, but as a previous poster said there is a very good reason for that!!
Old May 3rd 2008, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by paddyo
I do and I would say a lot of the crime stories in the news can be related to Bankstown. Racial tension, low income, gang culture...call it what you will but it is an area of high crime irrespective of the racial/social make up.
Before arriving I was looking at places within 10k of that area and you get a lot for your money, but as a previous poster said there is a very good reason for that!!
Yes been to Bankstown not my type of area, stayed 1 night in hotel accom, went out to the mcdonalds round the corner at 11.30pm all ok. But still not some where i would live.

We move to sydney on the 30th may, we are looking at temp accom, ( 4 weeks)
could you advise on , Westcorp Apartments castle hill. Or , Westprecinct Apartments, carn't quite work out where they are as website says 20mins from everywere, and centrally located.
Still looking at area's to buy in, I did like Kellyville, but know been told that's classed as westies, and not to good, ????
The only thing i do know is i will not be able to live in manley or bondi.
Old May 3rd 2008, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by milly123
Do you live in Sydney..
Yes - thankfully a significant distance away from Bankstown
Old May 3rd 2008, 4:38 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amrohvi
Is it a nice area?
No.
Old May 3rd 2008, 4:43 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

You must be kidding. I'd rather live in Slough!
Old May 3rd 2008, 5:00 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Hello people,
I´ve been looking at house prices in Sydney and came across Bankstown. The houses are nice and quite cheap. Since I have never been to Sydney been thinking about migrating soon, I would like to know about that area. Do you guys know anything about Bankstown? Is it a nice area?

Sincerely

Amrohvi
No, but then again if you were the same racial or ethnic group as the majority that live then then it might not be so bad. Personally I'd rather a giant wart on my ass than live there.
Old May 3rd 2008, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Hello,
thanks for the link. I am surprised that the Australian Government is able to make such an analysis. (statistical that is)

IS the crime rate high there?
Old May 3rd 2008, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
thanks for the link. I am surprised that the Australian Government is able to make such an analysis. (statistical that is)

IS the crime rate high there?
All the data on the Dictionary of Sydney site comes from the census (done every five years).

Crime rate in Bankstown is higher than in neighbouring areas

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...521269857.html
Old May 3rd 2008, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

Can you advise your budget for buying a home and then we'll be able to advise more reputable suburbs. I was born and raised in Sydney and I wouldn't live in Bankstown, for reasons others have stated. The Bankstown area and some neighbouring suburbs generally are middle to lower income, with a higher ethnic diversity and crime rate. it's an area where I wouldn't be recommending a newcomer to Australia to settle, there are plenty of other areas which are nicer. Some suburbs south of Bankstown which are safer and more middle class are those on the East Hills train line like Revesby, Padstow, Panania, Picnic Point, Revesby Heights.
Old May 3rd 2008, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ginger3710
Can you advise your budget for buying a home and then we'll be able to advise more reputable suburbs. I was born and raised in Sydney and I wouldn't live in Bankstown, for reasons others have stated. The Bankstown area and some neighbouring suburbs generally are middle to lower income, with a higher ethnic diversity and crime rate. it's an area where I wouldn't be recommending a newcomer to Australia to settle, there are plenty of other areas which are nicer. Some suburbs south of Bankstown which are safer and more middle class are those on the East Hills train line like Revesby, Padstow, Panania, Picnic Point, Revesby Heights.
Hello Ginger,
well I will be bringing around £29 thousand and actually wanted to pay some down payment for a house. (and having a 75K job at hand ofcourse)
I did not know that Australia had bad neighbourhoods aswell. I know that the US has very bad neighbourhoods but Australia?? Amazing.
Well I am a British citizen but ethnic myself. Born British but parents from South Asia. My wife is from there aswell. I am looking for a place where it is safe to raise up a kid and leave the house locked while spending time in main Sydney. Also I want a place where it is easy to commute to and from sydney
---> home and from home ---->sydney.
A place where buying ethnic spices etc is not hard to find either.

I believe Bankstown is 20 minutes away from Sydney centre?

Amrohvi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.