Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney - Recommendation on Nice Suburbs Please

Sydney - Recommendation on Nice Suburbs Please

Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

UKRailwayman will become famous soon enoughUKRailwayman will become famous soon enough
Default Sydney - Recommendation on Nice Suburbs Please

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help, please.

We are looking at the possibility of job move to Sydney. Now in order to see if the maths works out could someone tell me what are the nicer areas in the Sydney suburbs so that we can look at some property prices to see if we could afford to buy somewhere.

What we do not want to do is to move from one Country to another where the Mortgage takes out a substantial chunk of the months salary. So far the prices of property look frightening.

The job location would be in central Sydney, if that makes sense.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:48 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney - Recommendation on Nice Suburbs Please

Originally Posted by UKRailwayman
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help, please.

We are looking at the possibility of job move to Sydney. Now in order to see if the maths works out could someone tell me what are the nicer areas in the Sydney suburbs so that we can look at some property prices to see if we could afford to buy somewhere.

What we do not want to do is to move from one Country to another where the Mortgage takes out a substantial chunk of the months salary. So far the prices of property look frightening.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Hi
This comes up quite a bit, so you may want to do a search for threads - they have lots of info.
The other aspect is - what do you call a nicer area? Depends where you come from I suppose.
The closer to the city generally the more expensive, and if you are on a rail line or major bus route, the price will be more.
Lower North Shore is lovely, but expensive to buy - think $500,000 (250,000 quid or so) for a 2 bed apartment or double that for a 3 bed "starter" house in a similar area.
Good luck.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

When this question comes up on here many people advise the North Shore...but I can confirm that there is life beyond the North Shore!

Sutherland, Kirrawee, Gymea, Miranda, Cronulla - anywhere in the Shire (thats south Sydney) is great

But I think you have to think where you will be working - get it wrong and you'll end up with a very long drive (sit in traffic) or a bad area.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 4:43 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UKRailwayman
Hi,

A couple of bits of info here will greatly increase the quality and speed of responses to this one.

i.e.
1) If you are buying, what is your upper limit (based on the household income you expect to pull in)
2) How far are you willing to live from the CBD ? Whats your absolute distance in any direction ?
3) Driving to work or public transport ?

No point in looking at the 'nicer' areas if they are completely outside the scope of your budget based on those responses. 'Nicer' is a subjective term too. One person may consider a suburb 'nicer' as it has more parks and is quiet and peaceful. For another person it may depend on proximity to night life, beaches etc.

What's 'nicer' for you ?

You may find this useful for making quite accurate comparisons between areas.
http://pvg.webcentral.com.au/propert....asp?link=true

Last edited by @boy; Mar 6th 2008 at 4:45 am.