Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney - Recommend a Suburb to rent in.

Sydney - Recommend a Suburb to rent in.

Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sydney - Recommend a Suburb to rent in.

Hi guys,

I've been looking around the forum for a few days and you all seem like a great bunch.

An opportunity has come my way, to maybe take a job in Sydney. The company is based in Padstow and i'm looking for recommendations of places within an hour commute by car.

Ideally looking for a 4 bed place with a budget of around $500 pw to spend.

Could i get some hints as to which suburbs i should be looking at.

The family consists of the Wife and I and a 3 year old son.

Look forward to hearing from you

Stu
Old Jun 8th 2007, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sydney - Recommend a Suburb to rent in.

Any help to look at good places would be really good thanks
Old Jun 8th 2007, 6:08 am
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

Hi you have said how much you want to spend but not how long you are prepared to travel for not sure of many of the areas near to Padstow but Hubby drives around a lot so can ask him for travelling times.

poshrice
Old Jun 8th 2007, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

I did mention that i would like a place within an hours commute really (by Car)

and thanks for the reply !!!

Stu
Old Jun 8th 2007, 6:13 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
Any help to look at good places would be really good thanks
i'd never heard of Padstow in Sydney when i read your email this morning, a quick check on whereis.com.au tells me it's not far from Bankstown... ah the delights of the inner west, don't go there!

i'm afraid i can't give much advice other than look a bit further south east towards the water maybe
here's a link to Padstow on wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padstow%2C_New_South_Wales
they give a fairly light weight coverage of most Sydney suburbs on there
Old Jun 8th 2007, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Gedge, i'll get on google earth and look South East

Stu
Old Jun 8th 2007, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
Thanks Gedge, i'll get on google earth and look South East

Stu
www.whereis.com.au is a fairly decent local mapping site with links in to the yellow pages and some photo views too i believe
we were down in the Sutherlandshire area some months back and that looked much more habitable, i do believe there are a few members on here who live in that area, try do a search on Sutherland thru this forum
Old Jun 8th 2007, 8:00 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
i'd never heard of Padstow in Sydney when i read your email this morning, a quick check on whereis.com.au tells me it's not far from Bankstown... ah the delights of the inner west, don't go there!

i'm afraid i can't give much advice other than look a bit further south east towards the water maybe
Inner west?!! Western Sydney please....

to OP - after you've found out about the suburbs, have a look at rentals on www.realestate.com.au or www.domain.com.au, that will give you an idea of what you can get for $500. I think a 4 bed house may be pushing it a bit in the nicer suburbs.

Try to bear in mind that some places aren't the easiest to commute from by car - the Shire for example (ie Sutherland Shire) gets very congested with traffic as there are only two (I think) roads in and out of there.

A search on the forum should tell you a bit more about those types of issues.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Depends on where you want to live really- would you rather be near water or don't really mind?

Nearby Alfords Point and Oatley area are near the water, affordable and have the benefit of lots of greenery and parkland.

Going north from Padstow the only suburbs I'd recommend would include Strathfield and Homebush (the Bay area is quite nice with lots of new development) and the Concord and Canada Bay areas (again near water). I'd stay away from the Liverpool and Bankstown areas due to reputation, if I were you. There are a few "rough" neighbourhoods you need to be aware of, so make sure you check them out before committing to a rental.

Best of luck with your search and new job
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:47 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Oi! Bankstown so isn't in the Inner West!

S
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:17 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
Thirded! Inner West is the Inner West. Bankstown is the arse end of nowhere. There's quite a difference.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
Originally Posted by Geordie George
Thirded! Inner West is the Inner West. Bankstown is the arse end of nowhere. There's quite a difference.
that's me told hasn't it, i'm just an out of towner
what would i know up here in my leafy beach hut?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:54 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

that's me told hasn't it, i'm just an out of towner
what would i know up here in my leafy beach hut?
Yes, bow to the greater knowledge of the inner west Sydneysiders

I don't know much about leafy beach huts, so we're all even I think!