Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney Olympic Village

Sydney Olympic Village

Old Mar 3rd 2004, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of
Default Sydney Olympic Village

Anybody been to see it? I am led to believe that the new suburb of Newington is really quite nice, with swish new apartments and houses for rent, a 400 ha park on the doorstep, world class sporting facilities, the rivercat into the CBD, or the train to N, S, E, or W. Is it really so good?
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

lizzel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sydney Olympic Village

I have only seen it from the Olympic Stadium when I went to see the Grand Final of Rugby League a couple of years ago. To be honest, the Stadium and grounds surrounding it were amazing. There are lots of statues and sculptures and information of past Olympics right around the Area.
However, the village itself didn't look too hot. They have put a lot of time and effort into it when they built the stadium as they built it with converting it into a housing estate in mind. But it looked quite compact. The train station is near by, but what you have to remember is it will be shared by all the sports fans as well.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Originally posted by lizzel
I have only seen it from the Olympic Stadium when I went to see the Grand Final of Rugby League a couple of years ago. To be honest, the Stadium and grounds surrounding it were amazing. There are lots of statues and sculptures and information of past Olympics right around the Area.
However, the village itself didn't look too hot. They have put a lot of time and effort into it when they built the stadium as they built it with converting it into a housing estate in mind. But it looked quite compact. The train station is near by, but what you have to remember is it will be shared by all the sports fans as well.
Thanks lizzel, yes sharing transport at times of sporting events is something I haven't considered. Still, might be worth a look if i ever get there!
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 6:59 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mummy
Anybody been to see it? I am led to believe that the new suburb of Newington is really quite nice, with swish new apartments and houses for rent, a 400 ha park on the doorstep, world class sporting facilities, the rivercat into the CBD, or the train to N, S, E, or W. Is it really so good?
I am not sure what life there is in there. The area used to be a toxic dump so I would grab an old map and work out what type of factory was there. I work nearby. Worth checking out but if you are renting units I would head to the Eastern Burbs for life and proximity to the CBD.

It also gets hot out west.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Carol in Oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
I am not sure what life there is in there. The area used to be a toxic dump so I would grab an old map and work out what type of factory was there. I work nearby. Worth checking out but if you are renting units I would head to the Eastern Burbs for life and proximity to the CBD.

It also gets hot out west.
I wouldnt live there if they were giving away houses.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

The Bulldogs play their home games in the Olympic complex at either Telstra or the Showground.

That simple fact in itself should be more than enough to guide you elsewhere.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

OK guys, maybe it isn't worth a look! Perhaps I'll stick to my Hornsby/Pennant Hills/Pymble areas then!

Any bad things to say about these? (I know the commute to the CBD will be 45mins to 1 hour)!