Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney not working, trying Melbourne

Sydney not working, trying Melbourne

Old Jun 27th 2006, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all
Default Sydney not working, trying Melbourne

Hi,

We arrived in Central Coast NSW almost 3 months ago, but things aren't working out as well as we had hoped. Despite having made lots of nice friends, mainly newly arrived Brits and having family around, we are finding it really hard work and I have to say it is not working for us.

The main problem is probably the long commute which my husband has to travel each day (He is a short-term Oracle programmer, so can only get contracts in the City, although these are plentiful in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth it seems). The children are asleep when he leaves in the morning and in bed when he returns so I feel like a single Mum and they are missing him. We cannot live closer to the city as it is too expensive.

Therefore, we are coming to Melbourne on Saturday for two weeks to have a good look around to see if we think we might prefer it. We would very much like to have a look where there might be lots of English people and from reading the threads it looks as if lots of people might be around Mornington, Mount Eliza. My friend has also told me to check out Caroline Springs.

Also, please does anyone have any recommendations as to where we might like to stay (we have children aged 2,5,11,13 and 15), the teenagers especially would like to be somewhere near other teenagers. We are going to try to book into a motel or something and have a holiday as well as "a look".

If anyone is free next week, does anyone fancy a meet-up? We would love some company,

We would be grateful of any advice, I would also very much like to post a poll to see where in Victoria people have sttled but I don't know how to do it, does anyone know how to please?

Thanks
Old Jul 10th 2006, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

si.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sydney not working, trying Melbourne

Originally Posted by it_hooker
Hi,

We arrived in Central Coast NSW almost 3 months ago, but things aren't working out as well as we had hoped. Despite having made lots of nice friends, mainly newly arrived Brits and having family around, we are finding it really hard work and I have to say it is not working for us.

The main problem is probably the long commute which my husband has to travel each day (He is a short-term Oracle programmer, so can only get contracts in the City, although these are plentiful in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth it seems). The children are asleep when he leaves in the morning and in bed when he returns so I feel like a single Mum and they are missing him. We cannot live closer to the city as it is too expensive.

Therefore, we are coming to Melbourne on Saturday for two weeks to have a good look around to see if we think we might prefer it. We would very much like to have a look where there might be lots of English people and from reading the threads it looks as if lots of people might be around Mornington, Mount Eliza. My friend has also told me to check out Caroline Springs.

Also, please does anyone have any recommendations as to where we might like to stay (we have children aged 2,5,11,13 and 15), the teenagers especially would like to be somewhere near other teenagers. We are going to try to book into a motel or something and have a holiday as well as "a look".

If anyone is free next week, does anyone fancy a meet-up? We would love some company,

We would be grateful of any advice, I would also very much like to post a poll to see where in Victoria people have sttled but I don't know how to do it, does anyone know how to please?

Thanks

I thought I had posted this without realising it.

We are more or less in the same boat in the same area, only I do Support not development, Ohh and I cant find a job. We have been here for almost 6 months and I have had 1 interview, so we are planning a move to Brisbane, and went up last weekend for our visit. If that dont work I'm going home.....

Good luck in Melbourne if thats what you choose.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by it_hooker
Hi,

Thanks
I hate to say it, but i'm quite glad to read that. We moved to Melbourne on the assumption that it would be easy for OH to get a job anywhere (geek stuff) and i would be more difficult. I got a job in Melbourne, and here we are. Hubby has found work fairly easily, but not something he truly enjoys, and is considering looking around for something else. I was feeling guilty for dragging him to Melbourne, but you've just made me feel better.

Re the more useful stuff... I haven't got kids, so I can't help there. I would suggest that wherever you stay try and make sure it's on a public transport artery - driving in Melbourne CBD isn't for the faint-hearted (hook turns have to be seen to be believed) and the trams are excellent. Perhaps try some of the serviced apartments as there are so many of you? Quest I think are quite good?

Poll posting - when you start a new thread, under additional options there's a box that says something like "post a poll with this thread" and then a space to fill in the number of options you want to put. I guess that after that it prompts you to fill in the details, but I've never done it so I don't know.

Good luck with whatever you decide. With that many kids you need to know you've made the right choice!!
Old Jul 11th 2006, 6:37 am
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by si.young
I thought I had posted this without realising it.

We are more or less in the same boat in the same area, only I do Support not development, Ohh and I cant find a job. We have been here for almost 6 months and I have had 1 interview, so we are planning a move to Brisbane, and went up last weekend for our visit. If that dont work I'm going home.....

Good luck in Melbourne if thats what you choose.
Blomin eck Si & Sarah - i thought i was reading about you also!! Thought you were using a different name!!!
So it just goes to show there are lots of people in the same boat.

Please don't say you're goin home! not til you've run out of options anyway.

Chat soon
Lj

To OP good luck in Melbourne.