Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney or Melbourne

Sydney or Melbourne

Old Aug 20th 2004, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice
Question Sydney or Melbourne

I am in the process of applying for permanent residency for Australia under the independent skilled category. Presuming I get accepted, I am unsure which will be the best place to re-locate to.

I have a 2-year-old daughter and think that Melbourne may be a better place to raise a child than Sydney. What do you think?

I will be looking for IT work and there seems to be a pretty good balance of work between the 2 locations.

I presume that many of you have been in the same situation and may be able to pass on details of your experiences.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney or Melbourne

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
I am in the process of applying for permanent residency for Australia under the independent skilled category. Presuming I get accepted, I am unsure which will be the best place to re-locate to.

I have a 2-year-old daughter and think that Melbourne may be a better place to raise a child than Sydney. What do you think?

I will be looking for IT work and there seems to be a pretty good balance of work between the 2 locations.

I presume that many of you have been in the same situation and may be able to pass on details of your experiences.
Both Sydney and Melbourne have good and bad suburbs (and I mean bad). The main difference is that Melbourne is cheaper to live, but Sydney is more exciting. "You pays your money..."

We lived in the 'northern beaches' area of Sydney, near Manly - very nice area.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:02 pm
Bite my shiny metal ass!

treefrog is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Sydney or Melbourne

Melbourne is a lot cheaper and has (marginally) less crime and more culture, or so it boasts. Sydney has a better climate. They are both good places to be for IT.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:23 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

WW I don't suppose you are at the JJb at the moment. I live in Wigan where abouts are you.
My cousin lives in Brisbane but we are headed to NZ. So sorry I can't help on your question.

JO B
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:27 pm
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

Just to flood the forum with Wiganers I though I'd put my two pennys worth in!!!
What about Brisbane? has that got its good and bad areas? If things go well that is where I plan to go.
Excellent game tonight against the saints, looking forward to see some Aussie rugby - fingers crossed!!!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:47 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by frogboy
Just to flood the forum with Wiganers I though I'd put my two pennys worth in!!!
What about Brisbane? has that got its good and bad areas? If things go well that is where I plan to go.
Excellent game tonight against the saints, looking forward to see some Aussie rugby - fingers crossed!!!
Melbourne's house prices are a lot cheaper than Sydney's and the salaries don't appear lower in the same magnitude.

Sydney is amazing - I lived there and the only thing I miss is 17 degree consistent winter days - Melbourne's are more like 13-15 (in the depths of winter) .

Take away the beaches, the harbour and Melbourne is a more liveable city. I wouldn't move back to Sydney now.

BM

Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:08 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

Mmm I suspect another Wiganer dear Watson.

What will you miss from Wigan....................Pemps, The Pier, King Street on a Friday, Haigh Hall, Or just plain ol' rugby.

Where are you from Frogboy.......let me guess Frog Lane hehe
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:12 pm
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

I think I'll only miss the friends and family....not much to miss about Wigan, although I will miss the Rugby - but at least the Aussies try to play a bit, so I won't miss it all together!!!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:16 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

I think I'll only miss the friends and family....not much to miss about Wigan, although I will miss the Rugby - but at least the Aussies try to play a bit, so I won't miss it all together!!!

I live in Ashton wher abouts do you live. You never know we might be neighbours!!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:26 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

Oh I get it shy Wiganers NEVER you are proabbaly worreid in case I know you>

Come on where are you both from??

I originally was brought up in Whelley on the Mount.

If you know the area at all.

Jo
Old Aug 20th 2004, 11:31 pm
Here At Last!!

Oh no, not the mount thats where I was brought up - Ross Close, although I am now living in Newsprings
Old Aug 21st 2004, 1:29 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Housing is more affordable in Melbourne but other than that not sure one is better than the other. Comes down to the individual suburb. Sydney has more IT work but doesn't pay the difference in house prices. Sydney weather is better and the Ocean is more accessible but is that what you are coming here for.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 10:14 am
JoB
Off to middle earth

Oh no, not the mount thats where I was brought up - Ross Close, although I am now living in Newsprings

Told you I probably know you. My mum and dad live on Platation Gates now. I used to live on Ashbourne Ave near the shops.

Maiden name is Farrell. This is turning into friends reunited!!

Jo
Old Aug 24th 2004, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

Thanks for all the information so far.

Jo B

I live in Ince.

I'd miss friends and family and the pies obviously!
Old Aug 24th 2004, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

jezdavies is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I'm sure the presence of Rugby League is important for a Wiganer. If that's the case then head to Melbourne if you're prepared to convert to Aussie Rules. League, and Union for that matter are very much minority sports. Both forms of Rugby are popular in Sydney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.