Reload this Page >

Sydney or Melbourne?

Sydney or Melbourne?

Old Aug 8th 2003, 9:06 am
Just Joined

HAPPYHANDS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney or Melbourne?

Hi

Trying to choose between Sydney and Melbourne, difficult choice!

Lived in Sydney for a year on a working holiday a few years ago and loved the city, but feel it will be too expensive to buy there.

Melbourne seems cheaper on the property side, yet the city just doesn't appeal to me as much. ( Although I know there is much rivalry between both cities!)

My partner wants to choose Melbourne because property is cheaper and we know a few people there so he reckons we could settle in quicker.

Took nearly 19 months to get the visa, but now we have it, I don't feel excited just doubtful, sad to be leaving family and friends, not sure doing the right thing.

Is that why they make the process so long I wonder, to test people's enthusiasm?

Anyone else feeling this way?

confused!

Old Aug 8th 2003, 11:03 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney or Melbourne?

We were originally looking at Perth. After a trip there we both really loved it but after many long discussions we decided that Melbourne would be better for our family.

We arn't really going for city life though and I think Melbourne will have enough for us. Sydney looks a bit to expensive all round and we'd like our equity to give us a higher standard of living.

Also in Sydney you have the funnelweb :scared: though I don't really think that was a determining factor for us really.

It is now very close for us and I have moments where I am scared sh*tless and moments were I just wish I could pack up and go. Its like our life is in limbo. We have no desires or goals to achieve in this country so I suppose we should be making the most of the rest. The calm before the storm

Hope it all goes well for you

Matt
Old Aug 8th 2003, 11:09 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Personally....i would go for melbourne.

Thats mainly because i am not really a city type, and melboune is a bit smaller and less commercial (although not much, and the situation is becoming more and more similar to Sydney).

The climate in melbourne is cooler, and wetter.

Sydney IS more expensive, but has higher salaries to (patially) make up for it. Sydney has better prospects really, if you are an office worker.

Melbourne, in my opinion, has a more accesible location with regards to the "countryside" in oz. The grampians, the murray, the aussie alps, gippsland, the otways, arapiles etc are all within 2-3 hours. Sydney still has some nice areas, like the blue mountains and the hunter vally, and the sydney coastline in my opinon is a bit nicer.......saying that....melbournes is nice too lol The great ocean roads incredible.

Fishings better Melbourne way.....drawcard for me

Melbourne is also the gateway to tazzie...which is a great place to spend a few weeks a year.
Old Aug 8th 2003, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

If it was me I would choose Melbourne any day.

We lived in Sydney for a year and I hated it. I found people to be unfriendly and basically thought these people were out of there minds believing that Sydney was the most beautiful city in the world. Of course if you live overlooking Sydney Harbour it might be easy to have that thought but the reality is once you get away from the Harbour it's not quite so pretty. I did have a fabulous job and thought that the range of jobs available was great. It was so expensive. Of course a lot depends where you live. We lived right in the city which was good for work and restaurants. If you live in the burbs you are more likely to get friendly people.

My husband lived in Melbourne for 10 years and loved it. People seem a bit more relaxed and not so up themselves. Melbourne also seemed to be an easier city to get around. I don't think Melbourne is the prettiest city in the world but I do like the feel it has.
Old Aug 8th 2003, 6:35 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HAPPYHANDS
Hi

Trying to choose between Sydney and Melbourne, difficult choice!

Melbourne. Cheaper, smaller, but still big enough to feel like a real city. Best place in the Southern Hemisphere IMO.
Old Aug 8th 2003, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Kenand Nel is an unknown quantity at this point

For me...

Sydney - Best place in the world to visit.

Melbourne - Best place in the world to stay.

Ken of Ken and Nel
Melbourne ASAP
Old Aug 9th 2003, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Hi HAPPYHANDS,

can't comment on Sydney really - only that we haven't considered living there as supposed to be v expensive and sounds too fast, frenentic, busy etc for what we want. But would love to spend a few days there.
Melbourne sounds more laid back, cultural, less frenetic, more relaxed pace, maybe a bit cheaper? Plus Sydney is hotter and I like the thought of distinct changes of the seasons which Victoria is supposed to offer.

Completely empathise with your fear. As soon as our visas arrived, after the initial euphoria, I was beset by terror! It's such an enormous move it would be odd not to wonder if it's the right thing to do. I am mostly scared as we move towards departure but also excited. I really don't think any amount of research/visits/investigations can prepare any of us for the reality of upping sticks and moving to the other side of the world.
I am looking at it as a big adventure and not expecting paradise. And I also believe that, although it wouldn't be straightforward, if Oz is not for me & Mr Bella, then we'll come back to the UK, where we've been very happy!

Good luck!
Old Aug 9th 2003, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Vanou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To HappyHands and Bella...

Could you post your respective timelines please ?
Especially HappyHands, why did it take you so long ?
Just curious as we're currently waiting for pre-grant (medicals and PC sent)....

Thanx
Old Aug 9th 2003, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Just curious as we're currently waiting for pre-grant (medicals and PC sent)....

Thanx
Old Aug 9th 2003, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Thanx
Old Aug 10th 2003, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Beverley is an unknown quantity at this point

Matt,

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a permanent stomach ache.

I swing between manic excitment and abject terror!

Now where did I put those valium?

Beverley:scared:
Old Aug 10th 2003, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

wolfens_wife is an unknown quantity at this point

We were torn between North Sydney (where my hubbies company "3" is based) or Melbourne (no job but wot the heck!) We have chosen Melbourne. Plenty of aussies working over here say Melbourne is the best city in the world. Sounds good enough to me................
Old Aug 10th 2003, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Sydney for years as a student and young married. Don't even know any born-and-bred Sydneysiders who can buy a house there now. Unless it's so far out of town you're never going to see the beach or the harbour anyway... Limited public transport (that pesky wiggly harbour gets in the way!) and few motorways means endless slow driving to get from where you can afford to live to where you'd like to be. Love it but wouldn't live there again.

Melbourne is not as glamorous but the people are known to be less hyper and it is regarded as very civilised and easy to live in. House prices (with foreign money anyway) verge on the affordable - 40% less than Sydney for equivalent.

A couple of years ago a study by the Economist for relocating execs rated Melbourne and Vancouver the top two cities in the world overall for best lifestyle. Sydney was just behind - losing points due to slightly higher crime and house prices.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 12:40 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Never lived in Melbourne, but visited and went for a work once, nothing wrong that I could see, visited a few burbs with Friends who live there.

Sydney wins hands down for me, North Shore, public transport on train cheap and only had a few delays ever. Housing expensive but can reap rewards in other ways if you look for older less fashionable or travel in from some of the fantastic countryside. Not all jobs are in Sydney CBD there are quite a few satilite CBDs with plenty of work. People friendly? I found most people treat you as you treat them and some of my Aussie mates here are the tops.

I prefer Sydney weather, NSW beaches, but it is only my opinion.

Cheers
Old Aug 11th 2003, 12:45 am
Just Joined

Well travelled is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally agree, Sydney wins hands down on everything.

It has a real atmosphere to it, what better than to take a ferry across and see those views.

Great shopping, and def better weather and character......