Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney Maggot Plague

Sydney Maggot Plague

Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney Maggot Plague

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That's just put me right of visiting Perth

Is it REALLY that bad there ?
I speak from experience of the flies in the Dandenongs East of Melb'n when I was working there. Oh God......those flies.......

Sorry, don't know about Perth!
Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:23 pm
Cheeky

Will let you know, its one of our 'places to visit' on our validation trip!! (Not booked it yet!!)

Cheeky

Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Cheeky
Will let you know, its one of our 'places to visit' on our validation trip!! (Not booked it yet!!)

Cheeky

Saw very few in Perth during our trip in April, but I understand they are worse in the spring / early summer time. I also understand they are worse around the still inland waterways (lake joondalup etc)

I would welcome comment from those actually having been through several summers in OZ though...
Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Perth is horrendous for flies. Much, much worse that anywhere else I've ever been in Australia.

We were driving once south of Perth, around Bunbury way and we found a deserted beach. It was real picture postcard material. Truly beautiful with clear blue water, backed by some rocks and bushland. lf it was near Sydney, it would have been swamped with people.

We got out of the car to take a closer look, but lasted about 5 seconds before we were all back in it again. The flies were just revolting, all over us - eyes, nose, ears. So many of them that we couldn't even open our mouths to say 'what a lot of flies!'. Had to use hand signals to say 'Let's get out of here'. Knew then why the place was deserted!

Perth is the only place where I've seen people walking along, completely unaware that their backs are covered in flies.

Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
Perth is horrendous for flies. Much, much worse that anywhere else I've ever been in Australia.

We were driving once south of Perth, around Bunbury way and we found a deserted beach. It was real picture postcard material. Truly beautiful with clear blue water, backed by some rocks and bushland. lf it was near Sydney, it would have been swamped with people.

We got out of the car to take a closer look, but lasted about 5 seconds before we were all back in it again. The flies were just revolting, all over us - eyes, nose, ears. So many of them that we couldn't even open our mouths to say 'what a lot of flies!'. Had to use hand signals to say 'Let's get out of here'. Knew then why the place was deserted!

Perth is the only place where I've seen people walking along, completely unaware that their backs are covered in flies.

Some of the folks in the Dandenongs looked like walking corpses!
Old Nov 4th 2004, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Someone posted a good link on Australian flies a couple of weeks ago.

All you ever wanted to know about them (and more). It's really quite interesting...

www.viacorp.com/flybook/fulltext.html
Old Nov 5th 2004, 12:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Remember the old T-shirt they used to sell,

Australias paradise, 20 billion flies cant be wrong
LOL, shouldn't that be 20 zillion!!
Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:43 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Oh God....Aussie flies!!! The one thing, and yes I'm serious, that would make me really think twice about going back there. Once they're on your case they never, ever give up until you kill them! If you wear glasses like me, you end up sending them flying off your face at inopportune moments in your desperation to stop them trying to feed from the corners of your eyes!
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!

:scared: OMG. Tell me they don't have them south of Sydney. My biggest fear is things crawling on me when I sleep, I'm not going to be able to rest at all if this is the case!!!!!

Phil x
Old Nov 5th 2004, 8:14 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philian4
:scared: OMG. Tell me they don't have them south of Sydney. My biggest fear is things crawling on me when I sleep, I'm not going to be able to rest at all if this is the case!!!!!

Phil x
Yep
They are there.

Anyone who has not experieced them will just not realise how awful they are. Myself and my wife once walked round Cressbrook reservoir in QLD and they completely ruined what could have been a nice walk. Insect repellant does not work on this type of fly.
They do not bite you. They simply try and get in every available orifice and there are millions of them :scared:

It is no joke despite sounding trivial or funny

G
Old Nov 5th 2004, 8:31 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah flies are a pain, you've had it if there is no wind, they follow you for ages !!!!

I walk to work, only 15-20 minutes, some days I dont see any and some days I have several bloody things following me.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 9:04 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

The flies were so bad in Alice / Uluru we all bought nets for over our heads. Trouble was, when you try to do anything energetic like walk up Kings Canyon in it you cannot breathe. You also look a right wally! Aussie flies are really persistent too. No amount of swatting persuades them to give up.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 9:17 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Flys have just started here.

First time I noticed them was 2 weeks ago in King's Park. Annoying, but not to bad.
Second time was in Whiteman Park(north) last Sunday. Very, very, very annoying, but I think it gets even worse.

Don't notice many around the house or work yet(centre and south), but they'll be here more soon.
Apparently they're worse up north, or in the beginning maybe. Not sure how true this is.

Apparently 'aerogaurd' works. You'll never get rid of them completley though.
No normal insect repellents work.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 10:43 am
f1junkie

Sander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura about

Something to look forward to then
Although, Michelle says it's not bad at all. But she has always lived south of the river, maybe it's less there?

Originally Posted by Simone
Flys have just started here.

First time I noticed them was 2 weeks ago in King's Park. Annoying, but not to bad.
Second time was in Whiteman Park(north) last Sunday. Very, very, very annoying, but I think it gets even worse.

Don't notice many around the house or work yet(centre and south), but they'll be here more soon.
Apparently they're worse up north, or in the beginning maybe. Not sure how true this is.

Apparently 'aerogaurd' works. You'll never get rid of them completley though.
No normal insect repellents work.