Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney location help

Sydney location help

Old May 31st 2006, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

clan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really nice
Default Re: Sydney location help

Originally Posted by binbird
Might be worth a look at Forestville and Killarney Heights. We are a family of 5 and are currently house hunting and there seems to be property around the $800,000 mark in these suburbs. You are still less than half an hour from the beaches and positioned well for a commute into the city. Forestville would also be pretty convenient for getting to Oxford Falls.

Happy hunting!

Binbird
Hi binbird

cool, i'll look up those areas too. Let me know if you find anything / anywhere nice !

Cheers

Neil
Old May 31st 2006, 3:41 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clan_campbell
Thanks for all this Sandra - much appreciated.

How long do you think it would take to drive from Roseville / Willoughby
to Oxford Falls during the school run time ?

I work as an Oracle DBA what did you do with Oracle ?

My son was only 15 in March, so I guess a year behind yours, will he be
fairly young in his year too then ?

Thanks

Neil
My thinking 25 mins max cause you are going against the flow. Bin Bird has stated Forestville and Killarney Heights are nice and they are closer, so will be worth a look. You need to find out about the infrastructure for the items you like, I must admit I was told (I do not know personally) that they are just general burbs with nothing special in them - bit like St Ives! I pass through Roseville and Willoughby on the way to work and think there is a fair bit around including the sports centres etc. Finding the right house and street will obviously be important. You will then have the choices of travelling to inner harbour beaches like Balmoral or out towards Manly or back over the way you go to Oxford Falls to Dee Why - most of those trips will take you 30 mins absolute max in traffic.

I was a payroll functional developer with Oracle and Peoplesoft - wasn't overfond of the Larry Factor when with Oracle so didn't stick around when Oracle bought out PS

Yes, Looks like your son will be one of the youngest in the year too, I think what I found strangest was they only do six years in high school here in NSW not seven like the UK. Years 7-10, then school certificate which to be honest is not worth anything, you can leave school at this point and go to TAFE for trades etc. Years 11 and 12 which lead to High School Certificate HSC finishing about October in Year 12 at which point you travel to the Gold Coast and get very pissed with every other schoolie in NSW

My son is already worried he will only be 17 at this 'right of passage'

Cheers
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

clan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sandra
My thinking 25 mins max cause you are going against the flow. Bin Bird has stated Forestville and Killarney Heights are nice and they are closer, so will be worth a look. You need to find out about the infrastructure for the items you like, I must admit I was told (I do not know personally) that they are just general burbs with nothing special in them - bit like St Ives! I pass through Roseville and Willoughby on the way to work and think there is a fair bit around including the sports centres etc. Finding the right house and street will obviously be important. You will then have the choices of travelling to inner harbour beaches like Balmoral or out towards Manly or back over the way you go to Oxford Falls to Dee Why - most of those trips will take you 30 mins absolute max in traffic.

I was a payroll functional developer with Oracle and Peoplesoft - wasn't overfond of the Larry Factor when with Oracle so didn't stick around when Oracle bought out PS

Yes, Looks like your son will be one of the youngest in the year too, I think what I found strangest was they only do six years in high school here in NSW not seven like the UK. Years 7-10, then school certificate which to be honest is not worth anything, you can leave school at this point and go to TAFE for trades etc. Years 11 and 12 which lead to High School Certificate HSC finishing about October in Year 12 at which point you travel to the Gold Coast and get very pissed with every other schoolie in NSW

My son is already worried he will only be 17 at this 'right of passage'

Cheers
thanks for this Sandra, its been really useful and will help us focus on areas when we arrive.

Regards

Neil
Old Jun 5th 2006, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Might be worth a look at Forestville and Killarney Heights. We are a family of 5 and are currently house hunting and there seems to be property around the $800,000 mark in these suburbs. You are still less than half an hour from the beaches and positioned well for a commute into the city. Forestville would also be pretty convenient for getting to Oxford Falls.

Happy hunting!

Binbird
hi again binBird

can I ask what has made you decide to move from where you are at the moment, is it the commute or are you not happy with the area ?

Thanks

Neil
Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:18 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clan_campbell
hi again binBird

can I ask what has made you decide to move from where you are at the moment, is it the commute or are you not happy with the area ?

Thanks

Neil
No problem with the area - I love it here but to avoid boring everyone I'll pm you. . . .
Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

No problem with the area - I love it here but to avoid boring everyone I'll pm you. . . .
Thanks - have replied via PM too !