Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney living cost estimates

Sydney living cost estimates

Old Nov 29th 2010, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sydney living cost estimates

Originally Posted by Beedubya
That rental figure is good for Sutherland Shire, you will get a very modern, decent unit (apartment) for $450.00 per week but not a house.

http://www.rent.com.au/searchr.asp?S...SortBy=p.price

Ask any questions you have about the area and I will try my best to help you.
Thanks Beedubya for sharing the useful link. As we get nearer to our departure date, I will certainly have lot more questions to ask.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In some parts of Sydney, $450pw is a lot. In others it is low.
It does depend very much on the location.
Initially, I will look to keep our costs down and go for a small 2 bed apartment within an hours commute to CBD. Depending on where I find a job (if at all) and how much it pays, we will look to more permanent options later.

Last edited by DhakaBoy; Nov 29th 2010 at 12:48 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 5:02 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DhakaBoy
Thanks Beedubya for sharing the useful link. As we get nearer to our departure date, I will certainly have lot more questions to ask.
When are you planning on arriving into Sydney? I am leaving here in February.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

When are you planning on arriving into Sydney? I am leaving here in February.
I was told Australian job market is quite dry during Dec-Feb season. So, we plan on arriving in March/April. Why can't the Shire make you stay beyond Feb?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:19 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I was told Australian job market is quite dry during Dec-Feb season. So, we plan on arriving in March/April. Why can't the Shire make you stay beyond Feb?
Oh nothing wrong with the Shire, it's a nice enough place.

I am returning to live in England.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In some parts of Sydney, $450pw is a lot. In others it is low.
It does depend very much on the location.
Sorry mate, thats not the way I see it, where in Sydney is $450pw (for a house) a lot? Would these be the areas we keep hearing about in "Sydneys west" as in "Gunshots fired in Sydneys West" or "home invasion in Sydneys West?"
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by freebo
Sorry mate, thats not the way I see it, where in Sydney is $450pw (for a house) a lot? Would these be the areas we keep hearing about in "Sydneys west" as in "Gunshots fired in Sydneys West" or "home invasion in Sydneys West?"
Hi freebo, initially I need to keep my costs down and will look to renting a small 2 bed unit in the Sutherland Shire area. This might be doable at around $450 per week. At this stage, I am not including independent houses in my online research.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi freebo, initially I need to keep my costs down and will look to renting a small 2 bed unit in the Sutherland Shire area. This might be doable at around $450 per week. At this stage, I am not including independent houses in my online research.
Understood, I had mistakenly got the impression you where looking for a house, I was simply challenging ABCD's statement that $450 was 'a lot' in some parts of Sydney - he usually responds with interesting and thought provoking counter arguments and/or examples.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by freebo
I used to live in Western Sydney, about 1 hours commute from the CBD, by train, and never had any drive by shootings in my area. Over 33% of all Sydney residents live in the Greater Western Sydney area, most of it is OK, although a few areas would be no-go for those who can afford a bit more.

This is an example of $350 per week for a 3 bed house with garden, in a good area, about 1 hours commute from the CBD:

This one however, is $700pw, but 5 beds and 3 bathrooms.

This one, just 5 minutes further west, is only $290 pw for a 3 bed townhouse

$330 per week is a pretty common price for many 3 bed houses in the area, although the cheaper ones drop to around $230 pw.

Those are in areas that I would not fancy though.

It does come down to what people want, and what they are prepared to pay for.
That is supply and demand at work.

Old Nov 30th 2010, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

That rental figure is good for Sutherland Shire, you will get a very modern, decent unit (apartment) for $450.00 per week but not a house.

http://www.rent.com.au/searchr.asp?S...SortBy=p.price

Ask any questions you have about the area and I will try my best to help you.
Should I have a preference from among the shire suburbs such as Miranda, Gymea, Engadine, Sylvania, Woronora, Cronulla and others? Are they all more or less similar with respect to my needs i.e. close to public transport, preschool, family friendly and generally safe?
Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:00 pm
Home Sweet Home

Should I have a preference from among the shire suburbs such as Miranda, Gymea, Engadine, Sylvania, Woronora, Cronulla and others? Are they all more or less similar with respect to my needs i.e. close to public transport, preschool, family friendly and generally safe?
I don't know anything about schooling of any kind sorry.

Miranda, Gymea, Cronulla and Engadine all have a train station, Sylvania doesn't the nearest is Miranda, not sure about Woronora.

All generally safe in the Shire though you do have the occasional set to like the "Cronulla riots" a few years ago. Cronulla is a beach town therefore more of a young persons place lots of surfers etc.

My preference is Gymea as it has a nice little village atmosphere, nice little shops and restaurants.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

I don't know anything about schooling of any kind sorry.

Miranda, Gymea, Cronulla and Engadine all have a train station, Sylvania doesn't the nearest is Miranda, not sure about Woronora.

All generally safe in the Shire though you do have the occasional set to like the "Cronulla riots" a few years ago. Cronulla is a beach town therefore more of a young persons place lots of surfers etc.

My preference is Gymea as it has a nice little village atmosphere, nice little shops and restaurants.
So, Gymea it is then. Thanks!
Old Nov 30th 2010, 8:15 pm
Home Sweet Home

So, Gymea it is then. Thanks!
Wow that was a quick decision LOL!! I don't live there now as rents are out of my reach (single person, rubbish pay LOL!!) but when I did my visitors all said how much they liked the feel of Gymea. Oh and there is a shop that sells their own hand made chocolates, Nina's - chocolate to die for.

I exaggerated about the safety. Cronulla has had one riot. You probably get pub fights with all the young ones and so on, but it's not like there are drive by shootings or anything of that nature whatsoever. It is very much an Aussie area and is locally referred to as God's Country.

Last edited by Beedubya; Nov 30th 2010 at 8:18 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 11:30 pm
Banned

3analytics is an unknown quantity at this point

In view of our upcoming move to Sydney, I have tried to estimate our potential living costs based on various other threads on BE. We are a family of 3, which includes a preschooler. Just wanted to have a reality check on these estimates.... any feedback will be graciously received.

MONTHLY COSTS:
Rent ($450/w x 4w) $1,800
Grocery ($200/w x 4w) $800
Utilities (gas, electricity, water) $250
Public transport for 2 ($50/w x 4w x 2) $400
Landphone $20
Mobile phones for 2 $100
Internet $60
Preschool ($70/d x 3d/w x 4w) $840
Restaurant ($80/w x 4w) $320
Weekend activities ($150/w x 4w) $600
Miscelleneous $200
Total $5,390
Certainly needs a well paying job
That's at least 90k aud a year and you're not making savings at all... don't forget the taxes. Does it make sense to move to sydney?
Old Nov 30th 2010, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 3analytics
Certainly needs a well paying job
That's at least 90k aud a year and you're not making savings at all... don't forget the taxes. Does it make sense to move to sydney?
Thing is, those cost estimates are not high (low if anything).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.