British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   In Sydney and like Indie music? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sydney-like-indie-music-465237/)

Nu-Shooz Jul 17th 2007 6:07 am

Re: In Sydney and like Indie music?

Originally Posted by vix77 (Post 5038628)
Hi,

If you are a fan of indie music and want to meet like-minded people to go to gigs, clubs and pubs that play all the classics along with all the new stuff but don't know where to go or have friends with good music taste to go with?

We organise fortnightly/weekly meet-ups to various indie pubs and clubs throughout Sydney CBD - the first one is this Saturday 14th at The Clare hotel for a night of classic British indie tunes - **Free Entry**- The Stone Roses, The Charlatans. Happy Mondays, Primal Scream, The Smiths, Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs, The Klaxons, Joy Division, The libertines, Blur, Oasis, Arctic Monkeys, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Fratelis etc etc

Interested? Reply to the thread and say hello.... .

God i love all those groups. I have been hunting high and low for a CD from Gold Frapp, but none of the Aussie shops have even heard of them:blink:

birdynumnum Jul 17th 2007 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 5065560)
God i love all those groups. I have been hunting high and low for a CD from Gold Frapp, but none of the Aussie shops have even heard of them:blink:

U in Perth by any chance?

Nu-Shooz Jul 17th 2007 6:09 am

Originally Posted by birdynumnum (Post 5065564)
U in Perth by any chance?

How did you guess:rofl:

Swerv-o Jul 17th 2007 6:10 am

Originally Posted by birdynumnum (Post 5065540)
and pockets that arent massive - they were HUGE in my Glebe local, you could've got a tennis ball in them...still, did make it easier for a novice :)

It was quite amusing on Friday actually - Vix77 had 'control' of the table, having won three straight games in a row, and she insisted that as it was her table, then British rules would be played.

One kiwi guy got quite irate at the whole thing!

Did you ever go to the Shark Bar? The pockets there are huge!

S

birdynumnum Jul 17th 2007 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 5065572)
How did you guess:rofl:

Wild stab in the dark :lol:

You need to have a trip to Melbourne - you'll be beside yourself with excitement

Nu-Shooz Jul 17th 2007 6:16 am

Originally Posted by birdynumnum (Post 5065582)
Wild stab in the dark :lol:

You need to have a trip to Melbourne - you'll be beside yourself with excitement

What the hell's wrong with Perth, jeez:frown:

I also love Souxiee and the Banshees. Long time gone now, but they have never heard of them.

birdynumnum Jul 17th 2007 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 5065576)
It was quite amusing on Friday actually - Vix77 had 'control' of the table, having won three straight games in a row, and she insisted that as it was her table, then British rules would be played.

One kiwi guy got quite irate at the whole thing!

Did you ever go to the Shark Bar? The pockets there are huge!

S

Brilliant.
Its is taken VERY seriously by some here isnt it, very entertaining.
Wheres the Sharks Bar? Doesnt ring a bell.
Main drawback where I used to play, pool comp night involved being subjected to cold chisel which isnt my idea of fun n games :)

Swerv-o Jul 17th 2007 6:18 am

Originally Posted by birdynumnum (Post 5065598)
Brilliant.
Its is taken VERY seriously by some here isnt it, very entertaining.
Wheres the Sharks Bar? Doesnt ring a bell.
Main drawback where I used to play, pool comp night involved being subjected to cold chisel which isnt my idea of fun n games :)

I have never listened to any, so I can't comment.

S

birdynumnum Jul 17th 2007 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 5065592)
What the hell's wrong with Perth, jeez:frown:

I also love Souxiee and the Banshees. Long time gone now, but they have never heard of them.

My god, they're a band from my youth. I still love the Clash loads.

Never ever been to Perth so no idea whats right or wrong with it, well apart from what I've heard on here once or twice, here n there :)

If you like music though - you'll love the cd/record shops in Melbourne.
Have you been?

birdynumnum Jul 17th 2007 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 5065603)
I have never listened to any, so I can't comment.

S

You're taking the piss, you must've have :)

vix77 Jul 17th 2007 6:25 am

Originally Posted by birdynumnum (Post 5065540)
and pockets that arent massive - they were HUGE in my Glebe local, you could've got a tennis ball in them...still, did make it easier for a novice :)

the best pool tables are in the Coolabar in Pitt st - green felt, red and yellow balls, normal sized pockets... everything you could want in a pool table - only draw back is that the dam place is hardly open since the smoking ban as there is no outside area... oh well!

Swerv-o Jul 17th 2007 6:31 am

Originally Posted by vix77 (Post 5065634)
the best pool tables are in the Coolabar in Pitt st - green felt, red and yellow balls, normal sized pockets... everything you could want in a pool table - only draw back is that the dam place is hardly open since the smoking ban as there is no outside area... oh well!

Yes, it was closed last night. And as Jonny Darko pointed out having to climb escalators to get to a pub really is just plain wrong...

S

Swerv-o Jul 17th 2007 6:32 am

Originally Posted by birdynumnum (Post 5065629)
You're taking the piss, you must've have :)

I'd probably know some if it was pointed out to me.

S

birdynumnum Jul 17th 2007 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 5065651)
I'd probably know some if it was pointed out to me.

S

Jimmy barnes was a member - not sure if it was a solo or with band but
last train out of Sydney is one thats usually accompanied by whole pubs of singing men in blue singlets.
Dont search it out though, ignorance is bliss in some cases :)

vix77 Jul 17th 2007 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 5065560)

which goldfrapp cd you after? may have one in a folder i can email to you if my internet connection at home allows me.....