British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sydney CBD Thursday Evening Drinks 10/01/08 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sydney-cbd-thursday-evening-drinks-10-01-08-a-503440/)

Bonch Jan 9th 2008 4:41 am

Re: Sydney CBD Thursday Evening Drinks 10/01/08

Originally Posted by toddd10 (Post 5761767)
i feel like i am intruding on a personal moment.....

i'm trying to help any new friends on thursday, they just need to look for a hairy man with glasses in a ladies turquoise shirt and with odd coloured eyes, playing with union jack cards and searching his car for bombs... easy

moley Jan 9th 2008 5:33 am

.........not so sure now!

Moley

Bonch Jan 9th 2008 5:50 am

Originally Posted by moley (Post 5761882)
.........not so sure now!

Moley

yeah, fair point, i can see how that might be a bit off putting. I should probably stress we are all quite normal and sane really. we hold down proper jobs and everything!

moley Jan 9th 2008 8:44 am

okay.....if you have proper jobs and all!

:beer:

Moley

rock Jan 9th 2008 10:42 am

Do newbies usually buy the first two rounds or three? - I can't quite remember.

moley Jan 9th 2008 12:24 pm

I'll look forward to the discussions on that issue.......as the new girl on the block surely its up to the old blokes to get the beer in?

:thumbup:

M

ezzie Jan 9th 2008 6:28 pm

I'll be there...where are we meeting, front bar or outside? Rob

toddd10 Jan 9th 2008 9:00 pm

what is a proper job?

cant wait to see the pic of swervo' shirt today

DiamondGeezer Jan 9th 2008 10:25 pm

Hi, I'm John.

Just to clarify:

1. What's the address of the pub?
2. What do people discuss at these meetups?

Swerv-o Jan 9th 2008 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by DiamondGeezer (Post 5765757)
Hi, I'm John.

Just to clarify:

1. What's the address of the pub?
2. What do people discuss at these meetups?

It's called Paddy Maguires, and is in Capitol Square, which is essentially directly opposite Chinatown on Broadway at the bottom of the 'valley' between Central and Town Hall stations.

Here is a link.

There are no prescribed topics of conversation, but as we are mainly singles and couples with no kids (SINKS and DINKS), we usually tent to stray away from pedestrian conversation about how we had to move six suburbs away to get child A into a good school and how Child B is doing so well he is now number 358 in the NSW under 12s swimming team.

Think of it more as an opportunity to hook up with some like minded people, have some food and drinks and a bit of a chat.

Oh, and I forgot that I would be changing after work, before I come, so a photo of my current shirt would be next to useless. I suspect that I will be wearing a pair of scruffy blue jeans, a pair of sketchers shoes and a sandy coloured short sleeved shirt. I have short dark hair and a pair of brown & copper Gant glasses. Because of damage sustained to my hearing by attending too many Iron Maiden concerts as a kid, I also tend to be quite loud. :D

I will also try and remember to steal some of the Union Jack cards to bring along.

See you all later.

S

DiamondGeezer Jan 9th 2008 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 5765812)
It's called Paddy Maguires, and is in Capitol Square, which is essentially directly opposite Chinatown on Broadway at the bottom of the 'valley' between Central and Town Hall stations.

Here is a link.

There are no prescribed topics of conversation, but as we are mainly singles and couples with no kids (SINKS and DINKS), we usually tent to stray away from pedestrian conversation about how we had to move six suburbs away to get child A into a good school and how Child B is doing so well he is now number 358 in the NSW under 12s swimming team.

Think of it more as an opportunity to hook up with some like minded people, have some food and drinks and a bit of a chat.

Oh, and I forgot that I would be changing after work, before I come, so a photo of my current shirt would be next to useless. I suspect that I will be wearing a pair of scruffy blue jeans, a pair of sketchers shoes and a sandy coloured short sleeved shirt. I have short dark hair and a pair of brown & copper Gant glasses. Because of damage sustained to my hearing by attending too many Iron Maiden concerts as a kid, I also tend to be quite loud. :D

I will also try and remember to steal some of the Union Jack cards to bring along.

See you all later.

S

Thanks Swerv-o!

I'm actually not a SINK or a DINK, as I have a 4-year-old daughter and my wife is 8 months pregnant. But at least I won't talk about children, schools or things like that because its incredibly dull.

Mostly I'd like to get other Brits impressions of what its like to live here long term (we've been over since late November waiting for the visa...) but it depends on how many beers need to be consumed first.

I don't care if its an Irish pub - I might wear my England shirt.

Bonch Jan 9th 2008 11:52 pm

dammit, was looking forward to the picture....if it helps i'll try to get there as close to 6.30 as poss and i am tall, with spec's and in a blue shirt (so that narrows it down then!!)

isn't a proper job one where they pay you money to surf the net all day and make stupid remarks on websites ??

bunglebongo Jan 10th 2008 12:11 am

We are down in sydney to insult our livers to some more toxic juices after the xmas and new year rush and would like to meet up at paddys if you are still going on the 10th (today) at 6.30. As we are not working today we are out early so might not make the full night thou, hoping that we will!

Martin n Ali:thumbsup:

Swerv-o Jan 10th 2008 12:35 am

Originally Posted by bunglebongo (Post 5766060)
We are down in sydney to insult our livers to some more toxic juices after the xmas and new year rush and would like to meet up at paddys if you are still going on the 10th (today) at 6.30. As we are not working today we are out early so might not make the full night thou, hoping that we will!

Martin n Ali:thumbsup:

Yup, that's the plan. From 6:30 onwards...

S

vix77 Jan 10th 2008 12:43 am

I will be there from 6.30 in the front bar... look out for the red head in a white top covering my ears when talking to the guy wearing a pair of scruffy blue jeans, a pair of sketchers shoes and a sandy coloured short sleeved shirt with short dark hair and a pair of brown & copper Gant glasses.... if you are not sure it is us then try to look as lost as possible as we look out for lost looking people and have so far had a good success record in finding them.