Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney to Cairns

Sydney to Cairns

Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Millie11 will become famous soon enough
Default Sydney to Cairns

I am thinking about renting a motorhome and driving from Sydney to Cairns with 2 kids age 3 and 5. DH is not coming - he has to work In the dead of night I think I must mad - that we will all be hunted down by a serial killer However, the plan is to stay at the Big4 places on the way and then maybe to fly out of Cairns and home to Dk in time for the oldest to start school.

Has any of you done this? Any good advice or places that we must see and do on the way?
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Sydney to Cairns

Originally Posted by Millie11
I am thinking about renting a motorhome and driving from Sydney to Cairns with 2 kids age 3 and 5. DH is not coming - he has to work In the dead of night I think I must mad - that we will all be hunted down by a serial killer However, the plan is to stay at the Big4 places on the way and then maybe to fly out of Cairns and home to Dk in time for the oldest to start school.

Has any of you done this? Any good advice or places that we must see and do on the way?
We drove from Brisbane to Sydney, took 10 hours. Not in a motorhome though, just a normal car.
Nice drive, but tiring.

My kids are older, 9 and 13...they did well to sit still.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:17 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a very cheap deal, take a look here. You might just get lucky and find one going your way.
We have done it several times.

http://www.standbyrelocs.com/
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Millie11 will become famous soon enough

Sorry should have said that trip is going to take about 5 weeks. So the kids and I can have fun on the way.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:39 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

ok...forget my post then
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Not a very great drive in itself between Sunshine Coast and Cairns, as the highway is inland and just has thousands and miles of monotonous bush and canefields but it will be an experience, and with five weeks you can make plenty of detours.

I would give Bundy Rocky Mackay and Bowen a miss, but visit the Eungella Gorge and of course the Whitsundays, Barrier Reef and rainforest are all great.

It sounds like really hard work though, esp coping with the drive and kids yourself, I'd be more recommending doing the Gold Coast hinterland, Brissy, Sunshine Coast then flying direct to HI or South Molle (not as nice as HI but better for kids activities) then fly to Cairns, this would be a lot less tiring.
You would only need to be away for 2-3 weeks then.

Plus in a camper you will have to empty the toilet yourself with no OH...
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:35 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Sorry should have said that trip is going to take about 5 weeks. So the kids and I can have fun on the way.
sod that, get the plane
Old Jan 21st 2009, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

wiltshire_1 will become famous soon enoughwiltshire_1 will become famous soon enough

Are you going home for good then????? OMG I must have missed this!