Sydney to Brisbane

Sydney to Brisbane

Old Mar 28th 2004, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

jpm993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Sydney to Brisbane

Hi Guys,

Firstly, great site with superb info!!

Secondly, looking at heading over to Sydney at the end of May and will be looking to head upto Brisbane for a couple of days to meet some friends. I'm looking at driving the 1000K and don't want to really stop anywhere along the route. Can it be done in a day or am I being unrealistic??

Cheers

James
Old Mar 28th 2004, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all
Default Re: Sydney to Brisbane

Hi James

You'll have a fantastic time. We loved Sydney and Brisbane.

We flew so can't help you personally, but my brother lives in Adelaide and he drove to Brisbane with an overnight stop.

We drove from Sydney to Adelaide along the Great Ocean Road
and did it with 2 overnight stops, but we did have kids with us.

I guess tiredness could be the problem for you, if you are by yourself. Also sticking to the speed limit. We had lots of trouble with that, especially when you are on long straight roads with nothing on them.

Jo
Old Mar 28th 2004, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Jo!

I'll have my wife with me, so we're looking at sharing the driving.
What is the speed limit?

Old Mar 28th 2004, 1:17 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

James, speedlimit is mostly 100km/h on the open road. If you go via the New England highway its probably quicker than the coast road although I do know they have done quite a bit of work on it. Its 1000 kms, about 11½-12 hrs driving time.

You can do it in one go, but its an awful long drive unless you are used to it.
Old Mar 28th 2004, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks, looks like there will need to be a stop over then!!

Any ideas on where would be a nice location to break the journey and spend the night?

Old Mar 28th 2004, 3:10 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya James,
sounds like a good drive.

Take plenty of music, snacks and water, just in case.
Start off early monring and take a break when you get tired.

Did a big drive in the USA on holiday a few years ago with my brother. Loved it.
Best way to see thye country in my book.

Bye
Mark
Old Mar 29th 2004, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Warrington to Wollongong to Victoria Point (soon)
Thomaz is an unknown quantity at this point

I have made the journey a couple of times recently and would say it is possible in one day although I have always broken the journey up with an overnight stop. Having said that I was travelling from Shellharbour which is 100kms south of Sydney - this adds almost two hours to the journey.

On our last trip up we started off in the late afternoon and stopped at the Formula 1 in Newcastle which is two hours North of Sydney. We set off from there the next day at 8am and were in Brisbane by 7pm – actually took 12 hours as at the time QLD was 1 hour behind NSW (we changed to winter time this weekend so there is no time difference between the two states at the moment). This was with my wife sharing the driving. We have two young children so there were quite a few stops on the way so I would say with less/shorter stops, Sydney to Brisbane in around 12 hours is definitely possible. The Pacific Highway is a breeze to drive on – lots of places to overtake and for much of the way, a 100KM speed limit. I wouldn’t think about speeding as there are many speed cameras dotted along the way – until you get to Queensland that is, then everyone seems to go that bit faster.

On the way back we stayed overnight in Coffs Harbour. I would recommend Coffs as the best place to stop as, apart from being a nice holiday resort, the motel tarifs seem to be cheaper than at other towns along the route (lots of competition I guess). We once again stayed at a F1 (can’t beat them for price!) but you will be spoilt for choice.

Have a good trip.

Last edited by Thomaz; Mar 29th 2004 at 7:02 am.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jpm993
Hi Guys,

Firstly, great site with superb info!!

Secondly, looking at heading over to Sydney at the end of May and will be looking to head upto Brisbane for a couple of days to meet some friends. I'm looking at driving the 1000K and don't want to really stop anywhere along the route. Can it be done in a day or am I being unrealistic??

Cheers

James
We did it from Brisbane to Sydney (and return) a couple of weeks back without a stop over. Pacific Highway with several toilet/stretch legs stops. Me and the wife sharing the drive, it reminded us of the long haul flight into Singapore from England.

Overtaking lanes.....

Why is that the speed limit is 100 on single carriage way, and a lot of people will drive at 90, when you get to the overtaking lane they speed upto 100 so you don't overtake, just to wish you had 2 mins later as they slow back down to 90. So annoying (well I thought so).
Old Mar 29th 2004, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

Sorry not very clear, we did stop at Sydney for 3 days.