Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney - beach suburbs win!

Sydney - beach suburbs win!

Old Dec 21st 2005, 10:45 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sydney - beach suburbs win!

Just a note of comparison for anyone planning to make the move and wondering where to settle.....

We live on the Northern beaches (Sydney) and today I have driven from the Mona Vale area to Manly (during the middle of the day) and the hottest temperature the car registered was 32 degrees. My husband drove to Pymble and round about that area (similar time) and the car registered 38 degrees.

Conclusion - it's definitely cooler in the beach suburbs and I know where I would rather be! (Though it is still 29 degrees now at 10.45pm)

Binbird
Old Dec 21st 2005, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney - beach suburbs win!

Originally Posted by binbird
Just a note of comparison for anyone planning to make the move and wondering where to settle.....

We live on the Northern beaches (Sydney) and today I have driven from the Mona Vale area to Manly (during the middle of the day) and the hottest temperature the car registered was 32 degrees. My husband drove to Pymble and round about that area (similar time) and the car registered 38 degrees.

Conclusion - it's definitely cooler in the beach suburbs and I know where I would rather be! (Though it is still 29 degrees now at 10.45pm)

Binbird
Totally agree. I've always lived in the eastern suburbs within 5 minutes walk of a beach and we rarely get any really hot days - by that I mean over 35 degrees. Maybe once or twice each summer there might be hot spell when it tops 35 for a few days.

Contrast that with Parramatta where I have to travel to fairly frequently - get out of the car there on a 'normal' summer's day and it's like entering a sauna.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 10:45 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by nickyc
Totally agree. I've always lived in the eastern suburbs within 5 minutes walk of a beach and we rarely get any really hot days - by that I mean over 35 degrees. Maybe once or twice each summer there might be hot spell when it tops 35 for a few days.

Contrast that with Parramatta where I have to travel to fairly frequently - get out of the car there on a 'normal' summer's day and it's like entering a sauna.
That kind of explains why, when I moved from Sydney (Inland) to QLD (Bayside) I found it cooler in QLD

It's the same principal, it's cooler by the waters edge

Old Dec 21st 2005, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Beach suburbs are always warmer in winter and cooler in summer.. it's fantastic. The ocean is like a huge natural air-conditioner.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 11:22 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

I worked at Parramatta one hot summer in an office with the feeblest ac ever.
All the permies would stop work when it hot 40C in the office.
Us contractors stayed chained to our desks and spent our money on desk fans. When I'd get home to the beaches it would be a whole different climate.
I'm so glad to be working on the beaches now.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 11:41 pm
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Agree with you nicky and just want to let you know i have fallen in love with Coogee. Spend a lot of time down there at the moment. There always seems to be a nice cool breeze along the seafront there which is really refreshing.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 8:30 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That kind of explains why, when I moved from Sydney (Inland) to QLD (Bayside) I found it cooler in QLD

It's the same principal, it's cooler by the waters edge

Hi

We hope that principle applies over the next couple of days if the forecast is correct !!

Happy Christmas all.

Jim
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 5:44 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Sydney eastern suburbs (Coogee) too and decided we wouldn't live anywhere else here. Once you go inland, it's so much hotter, transport is poor, and it feels like you could be anywhere anyway. It just means living in a flat...
Old Dec 27th 2005, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

dave bayliss is an unknown quantity at this point

hi thanks for the info put a new light on where to move to when we get over there,how far of the coast can you get be for it gets real hot, as house prices are alot higher on the coast.
we are thinking of heading to gosford area any ideas on this area.
thanks dave
Old Dec 27th 2005, 9:30 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave bayliss
hi thanks for the info put a new light on where to move to when we get over there,how far of the coast can you get be for it gets real hot, as house prices are alot higher on the coast.
thanks dave

Hi Dave

My initial comparison between Mona Vale temperatures and Pymble areas are only a 20 minute drive apart but showed that in 20 minutes the temperature increased by approx 6 degrees. You don't have to go far inland to feel the heat!

As far as Gosford is concerned, we spent our first 7 weeks in the country up on the central coast - North Avoca to be precise, a good 10 mins further than Gosford. You will definitely get a lot more for your money there. We decided to move into Sydney though to be nearer family, for better job opportunities and because we found the area to be a bit limited and touristy (not Gosford itself but the coastal areas). Try it and see - other posters on here love the area but I personally feel that if you want to come into the city regularly then it is a bit of a trek.

Binbird
Old Dec 27th 2005, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

dave bayliss is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by binbird
Hi Dave
My initial comparison between Mona Vale temperatures and Pymble areas are only a 20 minute drive apart but showed that in 20 minutes the temperature increased by approx 6 degrees. You don't have to go far inland to feel the heat!

As far as Gosford is concerned, we spent our first 7 weeks in the country up on the central coast - North Avoca to be precise, a good 10 mins further than Gosford. You will definitely get a lot more for your money there. We decided to move into Sydney though to be nearer family, for better job opportunities and because we found the area to be a bit limited and touristy (not Gosford itself but the coastal areas). Try it and see - other posters on here love the area but I personally feel that if you want to come into the city regularly then it is a bit of a trek.
hi
thanks for the reply think we will try avoca beach ,like the sound of touristy as we live on the isle of wight at the moment will feal a bit like home and the added bonus of a friend just moved out there.think spend a bit more on a house and stay near the beach!!!
regards dave
Binbird
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........................................
Old Dec 27th 2005, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
Agree with you nicky and just want to let you know i have fallen in love with Coogee. Spend a lot of time down there at the moment. There always seems to be a nice cool breeze along the seafront there which is really refreshing.
We like it here because it's a busy place, but not TOO frantic. It has everything you need (cafes, restaurants, shops etc) but not the hordes of tourists that you get at Bondi.

I really like the beach, you get a bit of surf but not too much. (Real surfers turn their nose up at Coogee as the surf is supposedly a bit pathetic -but that suits me fine! I was right down at the waters-edge on Boxing Day and the breeze was so cool - almost needed to put a t-shirt on!
Old Dec 27th 2005, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dave bayliss
thanks dave
Agree with Binbird - you don't have to go far for the temperature to rise. It's all relative. Where I am at Coogee it's as cool as it's going to be. Behind Coogee is a ridge (where Randwick is). If you go west of that ridge it can be a couple of degrees warmer. Then the further west you travel the warmer it gets. You frequently see weather reports that show a variance of 10 degrees between the coast and Penrith.

And the reverse happens in the winter, of course. We have much warmer winters here on the coast - they even get frost sometimes in the western suburbs, whereas we never do.

If I couldn't live here - I'd definitely move to the Central Coast for the reasons above, rather than live in western Sydney.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 10:54 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I've always found Coogee as busy and those who I know that live there have found backpacker noise as bad as Bondi. Bondi is a large beach and the lack of parking seems to keep my end of the beach peaceful enough. Ashame about the house prices and quality/size of units. Hopefully I won't be a Bondi Pom for much longer. (citizenship application and hopefully a move to larger premises impending).

Coogee seems to be for the Brits wanting to get away from Brits but just ending up amongst more Brits. Not even a decent wave there.

Bronte is my favourite beach but quality accomodation doesn't seem to exist there.