Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney after time

Sydney after time

Old Sep 27th 2005, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

jakimber is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney after time

Hi, I am a new member and my wife (aussie), my 2-year old son and I are thinking of moving to Sydney next June. I have looked at the site and gone back a number of pages but have not found much on Sydney. I am particularly interested in the views of people who have been on the ground for a while. I am not so interested in comparing Sydney to back home (ie what it doesn't have), but to what peoples impressions of the city and living in the city are. I know it can be expensive, but is it a frustrating city to live in? Is it fun? Any information would be great.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sydney after time

Originally Posted by jakimber
Hi, I am a new member and my wife (aussie), my 2-year old son and I are thinking of moving to Sydney next June. I have looked at the site and gone back a number of pages but have not found much on Sydney. I am particularly interested in the views of people who have been on the ground for a while. I am not so interested in comparing Sydney to back home (ie what it doesn't have), but to what peoples impressions of the city and living in the city are. I know it can be expensive, but is it a frustrating city to live in? Is it fun? Any information would be great.
Hi

Sorry I havent lived in sydney since I was 9 but I remember loving it, everyone I know who has lived/lives there loves it but we are going to Brisbane as still slightly cheaper and hotter weather.

I cant remember who it was now but a guy did a reccy post about sydney not long ago which was really good also included property costs information. Maybe someone elce can remember??

Good luck with it anyway

Laura
Old Sep 27th 2005, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Sydney after time

ps welcome to the forum
Old Sep 27th 2005, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Hi

Sorry I havent lived in sydney since I was 9 but I remember loving it, everyone I know who has lived/lives there loves it but we are going to Brisbane as still slightly cheaper and hotter weather.

I cant remember who it was now but a guy did a reccy post about sydney not long ago which was really good also included property costs information. Maybe someone elce can remember??

Good luck with it anyway

Laura
Thanks, I read that post. I am looking for information from people on living there (i.e the day to day issues after settling)
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

Me and the Missus have been in Sydney for over a year now and love it here. I don't find it frustrating at all and its certainly fun, with loads going on. Public transport is good (we still haven't got or needed a car) and getting around is easy. Let me know if you want any specific information.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:57 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Lived here 3.5 years and the thing I would say about Sydney is it is diverse like any big metro area and classification of its merits is a personal thing.

I will agree for me the public transport is good and we have managed for the whole time on one car and a year ago bought a motorcycle for hubby.

We have two teenagers now and never need childcare but people I work with state it can be difficult to get.

I live in the burbs and think you really need to look around for what suits you best as there are very varied choices.

Sydney CBD for us is a 40 min total trip and we come in to the centre with many visitors but we also like living 20 mins from the nearest beach. Sydney has the best beaches in the whole of Aus ( ) They are well patrolled and many have sea pools. Sydney has the jobs for us and the employment and the closeness of decent different weekend getaways for us and it also has the weather as I do not like hot and humid and I love wet and the colder crisper evenings at times (just not in the house!)

The negative....I find it very expensive in terms of housing and it has taken us 2.5 years to get on top of our mortgage (part reason we only have one car). Yes we could move further out or to other burbs and reduce our housing costs but to reduce the commute and get the schools we wanted the compromise is the heavy mortgage. I also worry that the kids will never be able to buy a first time property until they are last twenties even late thirties. A few colleagues I know have property outside Sydney (investment) and rent. There are options and it is not all doom and gloom, but it has been a hard slog at times. Spending a lot on property can add to a feeling of being trapped with less options so you need to understand your requirements and what you really really want. We also possibly bought at the height out here and in an expensive area but we did not buy a very expensive or in anyway posh house for Sydney and spent less than 900K including all on costs.

The first years coping with the mortage have meant we have had a few less holidays but then we can make up for that with the beach and pool .

I firmly believe in renting in an area for a least a year before buying otherwise with on costs around 40K you could make an expensive mistake if you really do not like the area.

I still love Melbourne from our visits there but believe we have the best of all of Aus in living in Sydney for us and our choices.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in Sydney for 26 years. To me, it's the best place in the world but I do live in the Eastern suburbs only 5k from the city and right near the beach. We have fantastic shopping centres, wonderful restaurants, cafes and bars, heaps of things to do, minimal creepy-crawlies and almost perfect weather.

We're surrounded by wonderful scenery with mountains, rivers, national parks all available just outside the city. It's easy to get around the rest of the country; it's quite feasible to drive to Queensland or Victoria and there's no sense of isolation whatever.

There's nothing not to like.

Mind you, I might not be quite so enthusiastic if I lived in one of the far-flung western suburbs where it's hotter in summer, colder in winter, but much cheaper to buy a house.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Rockville is on a distinguished road

[Myself and my daughter arrived in Sydney three weeks ago. We have been here before but now we are living here we love it eveb more. My daughter is 4 and has just started long daycare which she loves. We have found a flat in the Lower North Shore and have bought a car. I suppose it's all about personal choice as to whether you'll like it and settle but we think it's the best!!
Hope this helps with your decision, good luck
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nickyc
I've lived in Sydney for 26 years. To me, it's the best place in the world but I do live in the Eastern suburbs only 5k from the city and right near the beach. We have fantastic shopping centres, wonderful restaurants, cafes and bars, heaps of things to do, minimal creepy-crawlies and almost perfect weather.

We're surrounded by wonderful scenery with mountains, rivers, national parks all available just outside the city. It's easy to get around the rest of the country; it's quite feasible to drive to Queensland or Victoria and there's no sense of isolation whatever.

There's nothing not to like.

Mind you, I might not be quite so enthusiastic if I lived in one of the far-flung western suburbs where it's hotter in summer, colder in winter, but much cheaper to buy a house.
I also live in the Eastern suburbs and can easily say that its the best place i have ever lived. I just love being walking distance to- the beach, restraurants, shops, gym etc

Only problem is that its so expensive to buy, but we are prepared to wait as we dont want to be in one of those far-flung Western suburbs that nickyc talks about
Old Sep 28th 2005, 4:16 am
Sydneysider & loving it!!

molloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the rough

My girlfriend and I moved from Manchester to Sydney in June. We spent a week in Sydney at first, flew down to see the relatives in Adelaide, picked up a car and drive 6800 kms to Port Douglas north of Cairns.

Whilst travelling we were homesick, but not for Manchester, for Sydney.

We arrived back in Sydney at the end of July and have both got jobs for more money than we were on in England, but with a cheaper cost of living (for most things). In England it took me 1 hour to drive 8 miles and now I have a job that is 10 minutes walk away.

We have an apartment overlooking the Harbour for the same as we were paying for our mortage for a terrace in England.

Living the dream!! Thoroughly recommended!!

Beer is nicer too!
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by molloymj
My girlfriend and I moved from Manchester to Sydney in June. We spent a week in Sydney at first, flew down to see the relatives in Adelaide, picked up a car and drive 6800 kms to Port Douglas north of Cairns.

Whilst travelling we were homesick, but not for Manchester, for Sydney.

We arrived back in Sydney at the end of July and have both got jobs for more money than we were on in England, but with a cheaper cost of living (for most things). In England it took me 1 hour to drive 8 miles and now I have a job that is 10 minutes walk away.

We have an apartment overlooking the Harbour for the same as we were paying for our mortage for a terrace in England.

Living the dream!! Thoroughly recommended!!

Beer is nicer too!
Thanks, my wife has a house in Balmain which is close to the CBD and not to far away form the beaches (not to close either). I like the neighbourhood feel of it there so I am looking forward to the move. Glad that people are happy with the place.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:03 pm
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Have just spent 3 days in Sydney. Its my 4th visit. I just cant get enough of the place.
I know they have the fab beaches close to the city, but theres something else about it. I dont know what it is, but i am in love with the place. So much so, i am prepared to forego buying a place for quite sometime just so we can live there and have some fun.