Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

sydney after 5 months

sydney after 5 months

Old Nov 16th 2004, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future
Default Re: sydney after 5 months

Sorry forgot to say......

Good Luck in your job hunting
Old Nov 16th 2004, 2:40 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=John Somebody said to me once that it would be easier to settle in Australia if they spoke a different language as then you would not expect everything to be the same as the UK and think that you could walk straight into the same Job.

For all you people coming here please dont expect to walk into the same Job. Employers here are as sceptical as employers in the UK would be about employing for example a Russian instead of an Englishman.

Sometimes you have to take a few steps down the ladder to get back up again. YOU NEED TO HAVE LOCAL EXPERIENCE I dont mean to try and scare people i'm just trying to tell it like it is.

Pete[/QUOTE]

This is all very true. There is an expectation that your experience back home will equal what an Australian employer wants, or even exceed it - the idea that because the UK is a few years ahead, business-wise, to Australia, employers here will be impressed with your UK skills and it will be a bonus in your favour. Well, no, that doesn't happen. What counts is experience in this country, with their systems, their business culture so that you'll slot right in and need no extra training or guidance.

I haven't been able to get work (or even many interviews for jobs) at the level I was at back home or doing what I was doing, because my contacts and knowledge were so UK-specific. So I've taken a job which is in a similar field, a couple of rungs down, on a bit less money etc etc. Plus it is a contract position so I have no security of tenure, no holiday pay, no sick pay and no access to maternity benefits.

But what I'm hoping is that next year, with this experience under my belt, I will be able to get a job in the field I want.

You have to do what you have to do to make ends meet.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 2:54 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rosie n family
The Three Temp agencies I use are:
D3 on 83391777
Small & Associates 92903733
Julia Ross 0282560000 They also have a Breakfast club where you (Phone and book your day) turn up in the morning, eat croissants and coffee, read the paper and when jobs come in they dish them out to first come first served....the risk is that you might not get a job...but then I can eat my bodyweight in croissants no probs

Childcare is much cheaper than the UK and seems widely available - we have a before and after school care on school site They can go from 7am to 6pm with tea & Brekkie and you just choose which sessions you want. You also pay childcare according to how much you earn....ie low salaries get a larger % reduction, but even at 100% I think the PM session is $8!

Good Luck
Whilst on the working holiday I got the best temp positions through Smalls and Alectus. Initially I got some crap jobs but they were to try me out before they put me with a better position in a more valued employer.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

mamichelle is on a distinguished road

Have you seen British Balls magazine? You can pick it up in most pubs in Backpacker areas, hostels etc. There are loads of jobs and also agencies advertising in there who love Brits. It's not only for backpacker either.

Robert Walters is one place that looks for finance jobs. They are based in the Citigroup building on George St. Free Spirit is a management company but also have jobs. www.freespirit.com.au
Hope that helps.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

Originally Posted by miriam
Thanks Rosie - thats really helpful - is it possible to temp part time or are most assignments for weekly contracts. Which area are you based that childcare is so cheap?. We are based in Bondi and childcare in the whole of the Eastern Suburbs is seriously pricey and the waiting lists are two years. i'm trying to get my kid in for next year. Are your kids at school?

miriam
Ive had crap part-time jobs that I could have continued on a permanent basis i.e data imput and filing from 10-3pm that paid $19per hour but I couldnt stand the boredom of them even though the people were lovely . Oh I had one that could be never-ending if you can bear to do it-I lasted 1 day! data-imput of train chassis for $18per hour at Central Station. I have preferred doing days or weeks here and there as the work is more interesting and its filling in for someone else. An agency has just phoned me with a job for the rest of the week, basic reception but for 3 days who cares!. We are in the Sutherland Shire and the kids are at the local primary. PM me if you want any more details
Old Nov 16th 2004, 5:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Howard
Don't let agencies and people tell you that is doesnt matter that you are not Australian, IT DOES. Until you have had experience within a company in Australia your overseas experience counts for very little.

Somebody said to me once that it would be easier to settle in Australia if they spoke a different language as then you would not expect everything to be the same as the UK and think that you could walk straight into the same Job.

For all you people coming here please dont expect to walk into the same Job. Employers here are as sceptical as employers in the UK would be about employing for example a Russian instead of an Englishman.
Two non-Aussies in my office - myself, and a Russian girl, out if about 40 people. If I look confused or ask for guidance, people look stunned, especially if its a question of clarifying the words used by Aussies, or the context of those words.
If my Russian friend asks anything - no matter how trivial, or just stands looking helpless, she gets help from all sides. Any mistakes are excused, any wrong phraseology overlooked (and this is a very pedantic govt dept).

I was trying to explain to someone last week that there is an Aus-UK language barrier, and they were totally bemused. Yet no-one bats an eyelid at the mention of an Aus-Russian barrier. Its true, coming as a non-English speaker you would get far more allowances made for you.