Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

swimming pools in rentals

swimming pools in rentals

Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of
Default swimming pools in rentals

I was under the impression that all swimming pools have to be gated. I'm looking on realestate.com at some rentals in perth and most of them are not gated.

We will be renting a house for at least 2 years, probably more, so it's not as if we can put in our own.

Thoughts?

G
Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:13 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: swimming pools in rentals

Originally Posted by galba
I was under the impression that all swimming pools have to be gated. I'm looking on realestate.com at some rentals in perth and most of them are not gated.

We will be renting a house for at least 2 years, probably more, so it's not as if we can put in our own.

Thoughts?

G

There are regulations for pools, and if there is not a fence and gate round the pool then there should be doors that lock above where a small child can unlock it and therefore access the pool alone. Pools are inspected by the council and a certificate issued if the pool complies with the regs brought in. If they don't meet the standard I think you have a certain amount of time to remedy this.

If you are looking at rentals with pools without the gate and fence, ask them how it complies and if it has a cert, chances are it will because it is a rental.

HTH
Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:15 am
Just Joined

wwoodee22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Indeed from what I have read on the internet it is 'the law' to have railings surrounding a pool, for safety reasons obviously.
So maybe you should query this when enquiring about a property that does not have railings.

Please don't think I am telling you how to 'suck eggs' !!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ub40fan
There are regulations for pools, and if there is not a fence and gate round the pool then there should be doors that lock above where a small child can unlock it and therefore access the pool alone. Pools are inspected by the council and a certificate issued if the pool complies with the regs brought in. If they don't meet the standard I think you have a certain amount of time to remedy this.

If you are looking at rentals with pools without the gate and fence, ask them how it complies and if it has a cert, chances are it will because it is a rental.

HTH
UB4OFan, when you say doors that have a high lock, do you mean the doors to the house?

Galba
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:56 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking on realestate.com at some rentals in perth and most of them are not gated.

Thoughts?
It may just be that the estate agents took the photos from a spot where you don't see the gate. Obviously they want to make the garden/pool look good and the gates aren't photogenic.

I bet if you visit the place you'll see the pool is gated (it's the law).

Gina
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GinaUK
It may just be that the estate agents took the photos from a spot where you don't see the gate. Obviously they want to make the garden/pool look good and the gates aren't photogenic.

I bet if you visit the place you'll see the pool is gated (it's the law).

Gina
Well one of them quite clearly says 'Not Gated' in the rental notes.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:09 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

the following link is only applicable in qld but i`m pretty sure the same rules apply in other states

http://www.poolfencing.qld.gov.au/?id=11

and this is from perth

Swimming Pools

Pool fences or similar boundary measures are a legal requirement in all houses sold in WA that have pools.

The new purchaser has to comply with planning rules within 3 months of the moving in date and an inspection will take place by the shire to ensure the correct measures are taken. These measures are to ensure that no-one from public areas can access the pool or small children can gain access from the windows or doors of the house.

Last edited by steve`o; Jun 14th 2007 at 10:12 am.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:26 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

<Puzzled> Sorry, I thought if it was a rental it had to be gated even if it was an older property (i.e. before the law came in). I wouldn't risk renting a property with an un-gated pool - if someone falls in you may end up being liable.

Gina
Old Jun 14th 2007, 11:32 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

In WA where older pools have no fencing you can have all your doors self closing with handles 1500mm from the floor and all windows unable to open more than 100mm, or have security screens installed that can not be removed.

Obviously you can have a fence installed aswell.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 12:15 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Thoughts?

G
From December 2006 every pool in WA must comply with the
barrier requirements.
It doesn't matter how long you've lived there or whether the property has been recently sold or not.

From December 2006 no property with a pool can be sold or rented out unless it already complies with the safety laws as the transitional period has now ended.
__________________________________________________ _
Extract from WA Government document, "Rules For pools"

Transitional Period
Based on Coronial drowning statistics, young
children are more likely to drown in a swimming
pool/spa that does not have barriers installed
between the premises, and the pool/spa area.
The majority of properties that have this design were
approved prior to June 30 1992.

The Western Australian Government amended the
Regulations that apply to all pool/spas with approval
for installation on or before June 30 1992. This is to
have a positive impact on reducing the number of
young children drowning and especially those that
occur in a pre-June 30 1992 approved pool/spas.
This amendment ensures a higher standard of
barrier is installed and maintained on all properties
with pool/spa approved for building prior to
June 30 1992.

In order to provide the pool owners with sufficient
time to carry out the necessary upgrades, the
Government provided a five (5) year Transitional
Period. The Transitional Period ends on December
17, 2006 and requires all owners of pre-June
30 1992 installations to upgrade the safety
requirements of the barrier so they comply with the
barrier requirements of Pre-November 4 2001 pool/
spas.

If the property is sold before the Transitional Period
expires the new owners have three (3) months
from the date of property settlement in which to
upgrade. It is not recommended that owners wait
until the end of the Transitional Period to make the
necessary upgrades as penalties may be incurred if
the deadline is not met.

So now we have passed the deadline, the 3 month rule no longer applies. All pools in WA must comply with the barrier requirements as of the deadline or the property owner is breaking the law.

Last edited by Scossie; Jun 14th 2007 at 12:18 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 12:21 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dhw.wa.gov.au/Files/OlderPools.pdf
Old Jun 14th 2007, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scossie
From December 2006 every pool in WA must comply with the
barrier requirements.
It doesn't matter how long you've lived there or whether the property has been recently sold or not.

From December 2006 no property with a pool can be sold or rented out unless it already complies with the safety laws as the transitional period has now ended.
__________________________________________________ _
Extract from WA Government document, "Rules For pools"

Transitional Period
Based on Coronial drowning statistics, young
children are more likely to drown in a swimming
pool/spa that does not have barriers installed
between the premises, and the pool/spa area.
The majority of properties that have this design were
approved prior to June 30 1992.

The Western Australian Government amended the
Regulations that apply to all pool/spas with approval
for installation on or before June 30 1992. This is to
have a positive impact on reducing the number of
young children drowning and especially those that
occur in a pre-June 30 1992 approved pool/spas.
This amendment ensures a higher standard of
barrier is installed and maintained on all properties
with pool/spa approved for building prior to
June 30 1992.

In order to provide the pool owners with sufficient
time to carry out the necessary upgrades, the
Government provided a five (5) year Transitional
Period. The Transitional Period ends on December
17, 2006 and requires all owners of pre-June
30 1992 installations to upgrade the safety
requirements of the barrier so they comply with the
barrier requirements of Pre-November 4 2001 pool/
spas.

If the property is sold before the Transitional Period
expires the new owners have three (3) months
from the date of property settlement in which to
upgrade. It is not recommended that owners wait
until the end of the Transitional Period to make the
necessary upgrades as penalties may be incurred if
the deadline is not met.

So now we have passed the deadline, the 3 month rule no longer applies. All pools in WA must comply with the barrier requirements as of the deadline or the property owner is breaking the law.
Thanks everyone, as always you've all been a great source of information!!!

Galba
Old Jun 14th 2007, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, as always you've all been a great source of information!!!

Galba
Ok, I've just read the info from Siren and Brian and this states that it can still be a door and window job, rather than the gating around the pool as long as it meets the latest requirements. I would still not be happy with just the window and door locks so will need to look for a rental with gates.

Galba
Old Jun 14th 2007, 1:23 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

UB4OFan, when you say doors that have a high lock, do you mean the doors to the house?

Galba
Yes, we asked why there wasn't fencing on a few houses we looked at before we bought and were told that because the doors had locks that were over a certain height it was ok.

Both our rental and now our own have a fence and gates, and if they hadn't I think we would have had them done. My kids are old enough to be ok, but I have young nephews and neices that I would worry about if not.

Shirley
Old Jun 14th 2007, 1:31 pm

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

Anybody idea why most of the pools are saltwater in OZ ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.