Swimming pools

Old Apr 26th 2003, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

alextoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Swimming pools

Does anyone know the regulations regarding fences around swimming pools in Queensland? I'm sure i'd read that they were compulsary and most pics of houses for sale i've seen have them. However there are several houses that definetly don't have any.

Thanks
Alex
Old Apr 26th 2003, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

were interested in the same question for perth??

rgds

james
Old Apr 26th 2003, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

karen and andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Adelaide too?

Cheers
Karen
Old Apr 26th 2003, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

The regulations for Perth can be found at

Swimming Pool Regs

Think the law is same or similiar for all states, seem to remember reading that all new pools from a certain date had to comply.

Chris

Http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk

Last edited by karawara88; Apr 26th 2003 at 7:08 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2003, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Karawara88. I think that pool fencing is compulsory in all states. the following link may assist.

http://www.homebuilder.com.au/PoolSafety.htm
Old Apr 27th 2003, 12:19 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swimming pools

Originally posted by alextoo
Does anyone know the regulations regarding fences around swimming pools in Queensland? I'm sure i'd read that they were compulsary and most pics of houses for sale i've seen have them. However there are several houses that definetly don't have any.

Thanks
Alex
Our house is situated in the middle of a2.5 acre block the house is surrounded by a 5,6 ft color bond steel fence , we do not have a fence around the pool , how many fences do you put up? , besides if any kids wander on the property ,the dogs will get them before they fall in the pool, on a serious note ,check out the new pool netting , from the states........MM
Old Apr 27th 2003, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

My understanding is that it's a state requirement. Here's some Queensland commentary. http://www.qisu.qld.gov.au/pools02.htm

here's the 1991 Act http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LE...91/91AC049.pdf

and here's some BCC writings on the topic http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/text/...islation.shtml

If anyone is researching another State's legislation try a Google earch http://www.google.com these site came up in the top ten based on the search term - pool fencing queensland

Interestingly I've yet to witness an enclosure around the Southbank Parklands swimming lagoon!

Think there is fencing at Airlie Beach and at swimming lagoons along Brisbane's bayside, not sure about the latest Cairns creation.

Last edited by Stan J; Apr 27th 2003 at 1:07 am.
Old Apr 27th 2003, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

If it is compulsory then why do so many houses being sold not have them?

I have looked on the net, at lots of houses for sale, about 50% have fences. Is it a frequently flouted law?
Old Apr 27th 2003, 8:25 am

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj
If it is compulsory then why do so many houses being sold not have them?

I have looked on the net, at lots of houses for sale, about 50% have fences. Is it a frequently flouted law?
The law is not retrospective, although there are rumours about it becoming so. Darwin had the right idea, it's not a mistake you make twice
Makes you wonder, now they've stopped the toddler drowning problem, how are they going to stop the toddler being run over by a reversing 4x4 in their own driveway? This is the next biggest killer according to a report I saw.
Old Apr 27th 2003, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

alextoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help everyone

Alex
Old Apr 28th 2003, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Pool fences are compulsory.

Sometimes on the internet a pool may not look fenced as the fence may be placed a few metres away. There is nothing to stop you making the fence a compound say 6metres away from the pool, which may then look unfenced.

Pools in most states cannot be filled untill full fencing is completed and approved.

Selling a house without pool fencing would be illegal and enough cause to collapse the contract.

Some Councils now talking helicopters to catch up with the pools which were filled before the new regualtions come in. (Amusing really when a country with the worst bushfires in the world has to borrow water firing helicopters from the USA)

Litigation in Oz is as popular a passtime as eating KFC, so building a pool without a fence is like playing russian roulette with your life savings. Pool fencing from about $40 a metre,
Litigation from about 2 million.
Old Apr 28th 2003, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

When I first sent my Mum some photos of our pool, she emailed me back worried that we had no fence. We do - but I had taken the photo from an angle so as not to show the fence - I guess the real estate agents do the same thing to improve the pool appearance.

The previous owners of this house had the pool put in about 3 years ago, but according to the regulations the fence had to be put up first, then inspected, before work could even start on the pool.
Old Apr 28th 2003, 12:43 pm

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
Pool fences are compulsory.
We're going about this the wrong way. I vote we fence the kiddies in, and leave the pools alone. What have they done to deserve being locked up like this? Free the pools
Old Apr 28th 2003, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone know of any cheap but good pool people in Perth- we want one!! but dont know whether the funds are going to stretch that far!