Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Swimming Pool Cover

Swimming Pool Cover

Old Nov 23rd 2006, 11:59 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swimming Pool Cover

I bet it's a pain in the bum to keep taking the cover on and off all the time.
After a few months I bet you won't bother with it. Might save water over winter when the pool is not in use though.

Our pool has a waterfall so I'm not sure if a cover would be ok.

We have gone down the water tank path instead, I figure that would be more handy in the long run as I can use the water to hose stuff and wash the car.

BTW do you know you can't use a hose to wash the dog, but you can use a presure washer

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
After 2 summers of watching our water evaporate away I finally bought a pool cover for this one.

It's like many - it's basically bubble wrap but I'm not going to be popping the bubbles just because I can.

I spent more money and got the 500 micron thickness and it is pretty thick and a little winder - Chief insisted I get the winder along with the cover and not pennypinch by getting it later etc etc.

All up I paid 600 bucks. It worked out cheaper than other mobs and less than even the ones you can cut off a roll (like wallpaper) in Clarks Rubber.

I could have saved a few hundred by going for a thinner one but decided to go the whole hog.

benefits:
i)The water will stay warmer
ii)There will be less evaporation - less water usage
iii)Easier to keep leaves out, I still expect sentiment and dirt to blow in of course
iv)Some councils (in QLD) will give you a rebate to the tune of a few hundred bucks - doesn't apply to me of course
cheers
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:06 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Having fun with our pool right now. Solar pump has packed up and I reckon we've got a leak as the level is dropping faster than it should through evaporation alone.
There are guys out here who self their services as 'leak detectors'. They charge the best part of 200 bucks to supposedly use an ultrasonic device to pinpoint your leak. I'm waiting for the guy's verdict but suspect we'll need to take the skimmer box out and reseal it. Do you do this sort of stuff Scossie (not to mention a good deal on solar pumps)?
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
LOL - there's a line there but I will leave it alone .
We have a winner - a quote I can attribute to you, Mrs D!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:49 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

We have a winner - a quote I can attribute to you, Mrs D!
*kerching*
Old Nov 24th 2006, 7:49 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

You "done" the right thing, Badge!

Nerd that I am I kept daily records of water consumption of my pool in Florida from Dec '98 to Apr '03: the evaporation rate with a cover was a fraction of that without (excluding the times when I detected leaks!).

Wind speed is a far greater factor than water temperature - a stiff breeze across an uncovered pool really sucks the water out.

Quite apart from the far smaller heat loss overnight (averaged around 4°), there must be quite a lot of latent heat of evaporation saving too. With a winder it was only a matter of 30 secs to uncover the pool. The only downside was that the cover didn't look quite as inviting as sparkling clear water!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 7:50 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

You've got to have a cover. A winder too - bloody luxury!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 8:38 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bal56
Having fun with our pool right now. Solar pump has packed up and I reckon we've got a leak as the level is dropping faster than it should through evaporation alone.
There are guys out here who self their services as 'leak detectors'. They charge the best part of 200 bucks to supposedly use an ultrasonic device to pinpoint your leak. I'm waiting for the guy's verdict but suspect we'll need to take the skimmer box out and reseal it. Do you do this sort of stuff Scossie (not to mention a good deal on solar pumps)?
there's a cheap way but I can't remember it... something to do with some sort of coloured stuff heavier than water or something so it's attracted to the leak.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road

Old Nov 24th 2006, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Quite apart from the far smaller heat loss overnight (averaged around 4°), there must be quite a lot of latent heat of evaporation saving too. With a winder it was only a matter of 30 secs to uncover the pool. The only downside was that the cover didn't look quite as inviting as sparkling clear water!
The evaporation effect you talk about would account for the water loss even on
days not so hot - yet windy.

I am contemplating having it quite wide to stop leaves but also realise this would be more cumbersome to roll.

So we'll see what happens at the fitting stage.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 9:11 am

The evaporation effect you talk about would account for the water loss even on
days not so hot - yet windy.

I am contemplating having it quite wide to stop leaves but also realise this would be more cumbersome to roll.

So we'll see what happens at the fitting stage.
Surely you still have to get all the leaves off the cover.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by annqldau
Surely you still have to get all the leaves off the cover.
Yes, but if I don't deal with them they sink to the bottom - then they are a pain.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:05 am

Yes, but if I don't deal with them they sink to the bottom - then they are a pain.
so my husband tells me...
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Poor dog

Originally Posted by themerlin
BTW do you know you can't use a hose to wash the dog, but you can use a presure washer
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:24 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bal56
The guy should have been able to tell you there and then if he was using the ultrasonic thing. Who did you use?
The most common leak is at the connection from the skimmer box to the pipe that goes to the pump, (caused by the fact that the skimmer is heavy cos it's it's always full of water). That's why we always fully encase the skimmer in concrete in our pools. Most companies just tag it onto the pool so that it is only surrounded by sand. Very common leak with fibreglass pools!

Solar pump wise... Yup, I can get you one.
Just need to know the wattage / horse power of the pump.
It should be on the spec plate on the pump...
Old Nov 25th 2006, 4:10 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

DIY leak detection!

Buy a little bottle of cochineal or other food dye and a syringe - you don't need the needle. Fill the syringe and approach the suspect area very very gently: give a SLOWWW squirt of the dye near the position and observe. You will see tiny tendrils of dye make their way towards any leak, however small.Leaks are usually round pipes, drains, skimmers and the like.

Repair with 2 part waterproof epoxy -you can use it underwater.

I repaired several leaks in my last pool and still have most of the bottle of dye and half the epoxy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.