Swimming Pool

Old Apr 1st 2004, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

PHIZA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Swimming Pool

We're hoping to be in Perth by mid August on a spouse visa (Medicals permitting, next Tuesday at Manchester).
We are looking at getting a short term let initially and our kids are pushing us to rent somewhere with a swimming pool, now the question is, is the weather warm enough in August to get much use out of it? or would we need to grease up like a cross channel swimmer. any comments from recent arrivals or seasoned Perth dwellers would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

thebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Swimming Pool

Originally posted by PHIZA
We're hoping to be in Perth by mid August on a spouse visa (Medicals permitting, next Tuesday at Manchester).
We are looking at getting a short term let initially and our kids are pushing us to rent somewhere with a swimming pool, now the question is, is the weather warm enough in August to get much use out of it? or would we need to grease up like a cross channel swimmer. any comments from recent arrivals or seasoned Perth dwellers would be much appreciated.
my mum lives in perth and says tooooo chilly but dont forget you wont have gone through a winter and summer there yet so compared to our winters it may feel warm !!!
Old Apr 1st 2004, 8:13 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I think even if you are used to Britain, Perth in August will still be to cold to swim...
It might be about 20 in the day (or 10 or 15) but at night it can get down to 1 even!!

See this thread, exactly same question (brisbane might be ok, but Perth isn't, and August is usually even colder than May)
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=swim+cold
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

mandandbri is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

We arrived in Perth last April and rented a house with a pool that had solar heating. We did not use it from july to early september as it was too cold.

Although it was often very sunny in the day there was a lot of rain (had to drain the pool to stop it overflowing a few times !!) that kept the temperature down and the nights in the winter are chilly i.e. less than 10 degrees and very occasionally below 5 degrees.

Having said that if you've got young kids they would probably go swimming even if the pool was partially covered in ice !!!!
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 3:26 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

SAUNA POOL
Sauna Pool
sauna pool
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Our pool is almost out of action now!! I have noticed a big temperature dip in the water since the cold nights have arrived.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 3:46 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Our pool is almost out of action now!! I have noticed a big temperature dip in the water since the cold nights have arrived.
get yourself a pool cover. It keeps the heat in and reduces evaporation. You'll get an extra couple of months use each year
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 3:56 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Oh.. Far to cold for a pool in August!

We had a pool cover for ours but it only kept the water temp up by about 7-10c, by which time we would have frozen when we got out! We did use it for a few more weeks but really I think unless the pool is heated you won't be using it from around May through to September/October
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Reth - we HAVE got a pool cover, trouble is I think we have been spoilt now. Anything under bath temperature feels cold now .
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 4:11 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Reth - we HAVE got a pool cover, trouble is I think we have been spoilt now. Anything under bath temperature feels cold now .

My wife won't use the pool if the water temperature is under 30C! I think its around 24C now so we'll just be paying for the pump running for 12 hours a day and the pool cleaning for the next six months now with no use.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by jayr
My wife won't use the pool if the water temperature is under 30C! I think its around 24C now so we'll just be paying for the pump running for 12 hours a day and the pool cleaning for the next six months now with no use.
Despite daytime temps of just under 30 everyone in this house has declared "its got really cold early this year" and the pool is once again just a bit more house maintence.

I am sure we used it well into April last year, but the nights have cooled down much earlier this year. We did start using it this summer in September tho, there were some 35 days and everyone was in the pool so probably got 6 months out of it too.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Dawn Adams will become famous soon enough
Default Winterizing your pool

Originally posted by jayr
There is no need to be running your pool pump for 12 hours a day over winter..... go and have a chat with your local pool supplier (NOT Coles, Woolies etc) about "winterizing" your pool.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

PHIZA is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the responses.
Looks like we won't bother with a pool at the short term let.

But this has raised another question, there seems to be an opinion that pools may only be used little more than half the year so does this mean that it may be a luxury you could do without?

I had already suggested to my kiddies (with little enthusiasm from them) that you probably only use the pool to cool down and splash about in, in the hot summer months, and that an outdoor hot tub/spa might do the job and be a bit cheaper and easier to maintain and be useable for most of the year.

What do other people think.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Dawn Adams will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by PHIZA

I had already suggested to my kiddies (with little enthusiasm from them) that you probably only use the pool to cool down and splash about in, in the hot summer months, and that an outdoor hot tub/spa might do the job and be a bit cheaper and easier to maintain and be useable for most of the year.

What do other people think.
Hang the expense, I bags the pool.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 9:19 pm
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

But this has raised another question, there seems to be an opinion that pools may only be used little more than half the year so does this mean that it may be a luxury you could do without?

Isnt that like saying for in the UK that central heating is a luxury, so lets just have one radiator, and we will put it in the kitchen?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.