Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Swimming in Brisbane/Gold Coast

Swimming in Brisbane/Gold Coast

Old May 1st 2008, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

r1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant future
Default Swimming in Brisbane/Gold Coast

Hi.

For those of us who can't afford property near the beach, where do you swim? I've read reports that rivers and lakes are full of bull sharks. Is this true or hype? I'm not keen on swimming pools and would like somewhere to snorkel.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old May 1st 2008, 8:52 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swimming in Brisbane/Gold Coast

Originally Posted by r1c1
Hi.

For those of us who can't afford property near the beach, where do you swim? I've read reports that rivers and lakes are full of bull sharks. Is this true or hype? I'm not keen on swimming pools and would like somewhere to snorkel.
whats wrong with the sea ? even if your inland it rarely more than 20 minutes away

http://www.gold-coast.net/goldcoast/beachguide.html
Old May 1st 2008, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

depends where you end up...
we live in northern rivers, just below the border of the gold coast and my favourite places are the creeks - not the canals.
i'm talking about pottsville, cudgen, hastings point, currumbin, tallebudgera, the list goes on. they mostly have sandy access or rocky if you go where its deep, suitable for kayaking, swimming, fishing and snorkelling.
i've never worried about the shark thing, they live in the sea, its their territory if we get in the way its our fault! i have never seen one though i don't like to swim in the open ocean either!
the area at coolangatta/tweed heads all around the mouth of the tweed has heaps more places to snorkel, little coves etc.
its the same all along the coast really and everyone will have their favourite spots.
hope that helps...
karen
Old May 1st 2008, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

r1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=steve`o;6295408]whats wrong with the sea ? even if your inland it rarely more than 20 minutes away

Hi Steve.

Looking forward to sea swimming as well but just wondered about anywhere closer inland. Suppose i'll find out in 2 weeks. Sitting in empty house now with a beer.

Looking forward to learning to scuba. Still due you a beer for help with ARTC questions.

See you soon.

Steve.
Old May 1st 2008, 9:32 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=r1c1;6295625]
Originally Posted by steve`o
whats wrong with the sea ? even if your inland it rarely more than 20 minutes away

Hi Steve.

Looking forward to sea swimming as well but just wondered about anywhere closer inland. Suppose i'll find out in 2 weeks. Sitting in empty house now with a beer.

Looking forward to learning to scuba. Still due you a beer for help with ARTC questions.

See you soon.

Steve.

http://www.goldcoastaustralia.com/go...orkelling.html

must admit i havnt had chance to go diving here yet just been to bloody busy

http://www.goldcoastscubadiving.com/

Last edited by steve`o; May 1st 2008 at 9:33 pm. Reason: added another site
Old May 1st 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by r1c1
Hi.

Beware, there are sharks in the waterways that the houses are built around on the Gold Coast. There have been a couple of people taken in the last few years.
Old May 2nd 2008, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Originally Posted by manc1
Beware, there are sharks in the waterways that the houses are built around on the Gold Coast. There have been a couple of people taken in the last few years.
We have friends that live in Kingscliffe and we have swum in Cudgen Creek many times. It's great and never seen anything remotely nasty. However, have a mate that fished the Gold Coast canals and pulled out at least 10 one metre Bull Sharks out in the space of 2 hrs
Old May 2nd 2008, 6:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Strangely the natural creeks and rivers seem fine and shark free but the man made canals on the GC seem to attract them. More likely to be swimming with dolphins in the rivers
Old May 2nd 2008, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think i would swim in anything, unless it was a water park.
Old May 2nd 2008, 7:40 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Strangely the natural creeks and rivers seem fine and shark free but the man made canals on the GC seem to attract them. More likely to be swimming with dolphins in the rivers
All the rivers in SE queensland have bullsharks......estuaries are their natural habitat.

The Brisbane rivers has thousands of them

G
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

I remember 20 years ago I grew up swimming with the next door neighbors dog in the canals around paradise point. Would'nt go near them now unless in a boat now. I think a big problem is everyone throwing their food rubbish of the end of the jetties to "feed the fish". Surely thats attracting the bull sharks.
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
All the rivers in SE queensland have bullsharks......estuaries are their natural habitat.

The Brisbane rivers has thousands of them

G
I know, all I'm saying is that the only time there's an attack or a sighting, it's on the canals not the rivers and creeks. No idea why.
Old May 2nd 2008, 11:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I know, all I'm saying is that the only time there's an attack or a sighting, it's on the canals not the rivers and creeks. No idea why.
Fear of swimmers?