Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sweeeet Chariot!!!!!!!!

Sweeeet Chariot!!!!!!!!

Old Nov 17th 2003, 9:12 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i suppose the bbc licence fee does'nt look so bad compared to that.

i know formula one goes to a's here during the race but then you are not really mising much!!!
lol Billy we keep crossing wires
Old Nov 17th 2003, 9:13 pm
WBB

Originally posted by PeteY
lol Billy we keep crossing wires
great minds and all that

Old Nov 17th 2003, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it is Australias biggest spectator sport.....i think cricket, and AFL hold that title. Soccer (football!!!!) is Australia's most participated team sport.
Not 100% certain guys and gals but I think tennis is the most participated sport in Australia (mainly in teams as well as individual). Australia has the highest participation rate in tennis in the world - 9.9% of the population play regularly - UK equal third at 7.7%.

Oh and Australia is in the other world cup final in two weeks time -the Davis Cup (tennis) against Spain in Melbourne. This one is played by over nearly 200 nations and not the small number in the RWC.

OzTennis
Old Nov 17th 2003, 9:22 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by OzTennis
Not 100% certain guys and gals but I think tennis is the most participated sport in Australia (mainly in teams as well as individual). Australia has the highest participation rate in tennis in the world - 9.9% of the population play regularly - UK equal third at 7.7%.

Oh and Australia is in the other world cup final in two weeks time -the Davis Cup (tennis) against Spain in Melbourne. This one is played by over nearly 200 nations and not the small number in the RWC.

OzTennis
Is'nt much of a team sport though is it Mr T?? I would class a team sport differently maybe. I can see your point....i mean doubles partners rely opon one another....but i still would'nt class it as a team sport.

The tennis "team" for the davis cup for example, play as indivduals when they are out there doing thier stuff. Even the doubles, when they are playing, are'nt refered to as the australian team against the USA team.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 9:23 pm
WBB

OzTennis
you cannot really call tennis a team sport though, can you?

i know there is doubles but surely i is not a team sport?

Old Nov 17th 2003, 9:24 pm
WBB

Is'nt much of a team sport though is it Mr T?? I would class a team sport differently maybe. I can see your point....i mean doubles partners rely opon one another....but i still would'nt class it as a team sport.

The tennis "team" for the davis cup for example, play as indivduals when they are out there doing thier stuff. Even the doubles, when they are playing, are'nt refered to as the australian team against the USA team.

do'h

im giving up today

Old Nov 17th 2003, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly
they have ad's during the game? :scared: :scared:

sacriledge.
Not wishing to be pedantic but football matches have advertising for 90 minutes - hoardings around the pitch, logos on boots and clothing etc, etc. It's interesting to see the new computerised electronic signs they have now.

There was a big row in Australia over virtual advertising which is putting a logo on the screen digitally when it isn't at the ground in reality. It happened at the MCG and the TV Station showing a match (can't remember if it was Rules, Union, League, Soccer or what) put a logo over one that was at the ground eg Adidas over a Nike sign. The MCG took them to court and the judge had to rule who had the rights. Can't remember the decision but I think it was in favour of the MCG trustees - ie if you have a sign at the ground the TV company can't put something over it and get revenue from it.

OzTennis
Old Nov 17th 2003, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Not wishing to be pedantic but football matches have advertising for 90 minutes - hoardings around the pitch, logos on boots and clothing etc, etc. It's interesting to see the new computerised electronic signs they have now.

There was a big row in Australia over virtual advertising which is putting a logo on the screen digitally when it isn't at the ground in reality. It happened at the MCG and the TV Station showing a match (can't remember if it was Rules, Union, League, Soccer or what) put a logo over one that was at the ground eg Adidas over a Nike sign. The MCG took them to court and the judge had to rule who had the rights. Can't remember the decision but I think it was in favour of the MCG trustees - ie if you have a sign at the ground the TV company can't put something over it and get revenue from it.

OzTennis
One thing I noticed when I went to the England v Oz rugby game the other month (Telstra Dome, Melbourne) was the amount of advertising actually painted on the pitch. Big Vodafone logos, Bundaberg, etc etc. It seems if there's an empty space, it's a wasted ad opportunity. It was the same at Albert Park for the F1 GP - they painted the grass with huge Fosters's & Shell logos. (Sorry, neither of those points are intended as a criticism of the Australian way - just my observations - I know the whole world has gone ad crazy!)
Old Nov 18th 2003, 12:47 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Here are some of the jokes I am getting at work.

Subject: Breaking News

Saddam Hussein has appeared on Arab TV this morning to quell rumours
of his death.

To prove that the appearance was not pre-recorded, Saddam
stated that he had "watched the rugby on Sunday and the English side were as boring as bat sh*t."

UK and US government officials have dismissed the report saying it
could have been recorded any time over the last 5 years.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 12:48 pm

A bloke walks into a bar with a dachshund under his arm. The dog is wearing an England rugby jersey and is festooned with England pom-poms.

The bartender says, "Hey! No pets are allowed! You'll have to leave."

The guy begs him, "Look, I'm desperate! We're both big fans, the TV's broken at home, and this is the only place around where we can see the game."

After securing a promise that the dog will behave, and warning him that he and the dog will be thrown out if there's any trouble, the bartender relents and allows them to stay in the bar and watch the game.

The big game begins with the poms receiving the kickoff.

They march down field, get stopped at the 22, and kick a penalty goal.

Suddenly, the dog jumps up on the bar and begins walking up and down the bar giving high-fives to everyone.

The bartender says, "Wow, that is the most amazing thing I've seen!

What does the dog do if they score a try?"

The owner replies, "I don't know, I've only had him for three years."

Boom Boom
Old Nov 18th 2003, 12:49 pm

The England team's training session was delayed on Monday for nearly two hours.
One of the players, while on his way back to the dressing room happened to look down and notice a suspicious looking, unknown white powdery substance at the end of the field.
Coach "whosiewatsie" immediately suspended practice while the Police were called in to investigate.
After a complete field analysis, the Police determined that the white substance, unknown to the players, was the try line.
Practice was resumed when the officials decided that it was unlikely that the team would encounter the substance again!!!!
Old Nov 18th 2003, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sweeeet Chariot!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by cityboy
Bring on the Ausie's
I've been talked into a wager with the boss. He started by saying "I'm not a gambling man" so I thought I'll take your cash then you muppet

Come on England!
Old Nov 18th 2003, 5:53 pm

Default Re: Sweeeet Chariot!!!!!!!!

An English view on the Aussie view of the English

http://www.guardian.co.uk/elsewhere/...087800,00.html
Old Nov 18th 2003, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
An English view on the Aussie view of the English

http://www.guardian.co.uk/elsewhere/...087800,00.html
So much is hyped up by the media isn't it (like the above article says).

Today's headline in the Herald Sun sports section was
"Why we Hate the English".

The article underneath was reasonably fair - altho accused the English of being arrogant and then finished with the line "Winning a World Cup is an amazing feeling. For guys in the Australian team yet to experience it, they will know what I'm talking about come 10pm Saturday." !!!
Old Nov 18th 2003, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by bondipom
The England team's training session was delayed on Monday for nearly two hours.
One of the players, while on his way back to the dressing room happened to look down and notice a suspicious looking, unknown white powdery substance at the end of the field.
Coach "whosiewatsie" immediately suspended practice while the Police were called in to investigate.
After a complete field analysis, the Police determined that the white substance, unknown to the players, was the try line.
Practice was resumed when the officials decided that it was unlikely that the team would encounter the substance again!!!!

BP

Love it, love it, love it, Jonny, Jonny, Jonny.

OzTennis

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.