Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Swallowing those horrid flies!!

Swallowing those horrid flies!!

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:41 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Think of the extra protein you lot are getting though
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

It certainly wasn't a problem on the Gold Coast in the year I was based there. Sandflies on the other hand ... little bastards are invisible. They bite, sook yer blood, then to literally add insult injury pee into the wound to clear some drinking space. It's sandfly pee that causes the itchy lump!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 9:16 am
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Thank God I am back in the UK, no cockroaches, no big flies that drop maggots infact no maggots, one thing Australia has done for me, I don't worry about the creepy crawlies we have in the UK anymore and I no longer jump out of my skin when I see a woodloose!!

I read in the Daily Mail yesterday about a lady in Sydney who woke to find cockroaches in her ears:scared: One on my pillow was bad enough I didn't know they went in ears!!!! (my ears are itching just thinking about it) good job I didn't read that in Oz I would have been on the very next plane believe me and wouldn't have waited 6 months!!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 11:14 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by DianeOZ

Eekkkk, Must tell you that I cooked a roast on Saturday, took it out of the oven wrapped in tinfoil and left it on the side. When I went to carve it........there were wiggly maggots and eggs all over it..............puke, puke puke.

The fly season on lasts a month or so I think (hope).

Di
What did you do, just rinse it under the tap and eat it anyway!!
:scared: :scared:

This is horrid, PLEASE PLEASE dont let that happen to me!!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

The roach in the ear thing is quite common here.

The worst case I heard of was where a roach ate its way through to the other ear. The poor bloke complained of a dull headache and deafness in one ear for weeks, but the didn't diagnose it until it was approaching the opposite ear canal. They ended up taking it out the other side.

The good news was that it had eaten through part of the "non essential area". The bad news was the infection.

Also, the roach was female and had laid eggs.....
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 11:22 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dotty
As far as I know flies are in all of OZ for all of summer, or any season as long as its warm. I had no idea Perth only got them for a month, is that correct, sounds too good to be true.
I think your right, they are here for the whole summer. Maybe it's the irratating 'sticky' flies that only stay around a couple of months, the ones that seem half asleep when you bat them but stay put!! I know there were flies in March when we arrived and they shared my food when I ate outside.

We ate out the other Sunday and ended up going indoors. Some people were still outside but had covered their lunch with large napkins and were taking small bites from under the napkin! What a pleasant way to eat Sunday lunch.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 11:46 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Make sure to rinse thoroughly if you swallow a fly.........

These are fly-maggot infected gums. (how?!)

Wouldn't share a beer with this guy!

P.S From the BBC website 'Disgust' survey - interesting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbo...st/index.shtml
Attached Thumbnails Swallowing those horrid flies!!-yuk.jpg  

Last edited by Pookin; Nov 3rd 2003 at 11:56 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 11:52 am
WBB

Default Re: Make sure to rinse thoroughly if you swallow a fly.........

Originally posted by Pookin

gross, i was just having lunch aswell.

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 11:55 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Pookin i think that is the worst pic i have seen in ages!!

Im lost for words lol. Nasty!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 11:58 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
Pookin i think that is the worst pic i have seen in ages!!

Im lost for words lol. Nasty!
Sorry, guys, had a few Chards.

Keep thinking that those teeth look like the filling of Cadbury's Creme Eggs:scared:
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 11:58 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

P.S From the BBC website 'Disgust' survey - interesting:
Just when I thought it couldn't get worse than the inner ear eating cockroach, Wrong again. Shouldn't there be some sort of warning with photos like that.:scared:

Is that why someone advised keep your mouth closed when you are outdoors???
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 12:00 pm
A Male Member

Sorry, guys, had a few Chards.

Keep thinking that those teeth look like the filling of Cadbury's Creme Eggs:scared:
I was thinking softmints, you know the ones, if you crunch them thats what they look like!!

You've got to wonder why the guy did'nt squeeze em out
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

I've heard of "clean" medical maggots (presumably different from the sergeant-major-screamed-at-in- basic-training-in-the-movies variety!) being used to nibble off diseased skin, but I don't see how getting your gums munched off like that would help <ick>
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

markcrute is an unknown quantity at this point

DAY OFF TODAY. SO I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA FOR SOME MORE RESEARCH ON MOVE TO ADELAIDE.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING SO DISGUSTING. WHAT A GOOD REASON FOR NOT GOING.

HOW LONG DOES THE FLY SEASON LAST IN ADELAIDE?

PLEASE TELL ME THAT THAT PIC WAS POSTED FOR A GIGGLE.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 1:03 pm
A Male Member

Originally posted by markcrute
DAY OFF TODAY. SO I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA FOR SOME MORE RESEARCH ON MOVE TO ADELAIDE.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING SO DISGUSTING. WHAT A GOOD REASON FOR NOT GOING.

HOW LONG DOES THE FLY SEASON LAST IN ADELAIDE?

PLEASE TELL ME THAT THAT PIC WAS POSTED FOR A GIGGLE.
Don't worry, I suspect chnj is right and they are medical maggots. I can't see why the guy would keep them there otherwise.

There is no way a fly could get in your gob and lay its eggs. It would'nt have time, even if you were asleep as your natural reaction to somthing in your mouth (when unconcious) is to bite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.