Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Surviving on a Tradesman's Wage in Brisbane

Surviving on a Tradesman's Wage in Brisbane

Old Mar 31st 2005, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

daveleegreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Surviving on a Tradesman's Wage in Brisbane

Things have started to move at a pace for us now, house on the market AOS lodged and medicals sent. Me lou and two boys aged 2 and 5 hope to be in bayside brisbane by November,love to settle in Manly/Wynham but feel out of our price range. I am a Sales engineer but think I would find work easier and quicker as a spark (Well trades assistant until I gained the licence) Lou hopes to try and find part time clerical work once we are settled.

We do have a little equity in the house but after reserch on here we would still require a morgage of £300 per week also thats what rent initally I would hope to pay untill we could apply for a morgage. So coulpled with a £250 weekly food bill would not seem to leave much out of a average tradesmans pay, say $850 to cover bills and other essential living expenses, we hope to buy a car outright upon arrival.

I now this depends on so many other factors but we do not live an extravagent lifestyle in the UK by choice.

Following the recent comments on here with regard to living expenses I have stared to panic, I dont mind working long hours if available to efford to live but, then would it be fair for lou to be 10,000 miles away from family and friends with me working 7 days. I know these are natural thoughts that everyone must have but any comments from any one who is or has experience with the above please reply or send a PM
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:43 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Surviving on a Tradesman's Wage in Brisbane

Originally Posted by daveleegreen
Things have started to move at a pace for us now, house on the market AOS lodged and medicals sent. Me lou and two boys aged 2 and 5 hope to be in bayside brisbane by November,love to settle in Manly/Wynham but feel out of our price range. I am a Sales engineer but think I would find work easier and quicker as a spark (Well trades assistant until I gained the licence) Lou hopes to try and find part time clerical work once we are settled.

We do have a little equity in the house but after reserch on here we would still require a morgage of £300 per week also thats what rent initally I would hope to pay untill we could apply for a morgage. So coulpled with a £250 weekly food bill would not seem to leave much out of a average tradesmans pay, say $850 to cover bills and other essential living expenses, we hope to buy a car outright upon arrival.

I now this depends on so many other factors but we do not live an extravagent lifestyle in the UK by choice.

Following the recent comments on here with regard to living expenses I have stared to panic, I dont mind working long hours if available to efford to live but, then would it be fair for lou to be 10,000 miles away from family and friends with me working 7 days. I know these are natural thoughts that everyone must have but any comments from any one who is or has experience with the above please reply or send a PM
When you mentioned "£250 weekly food bill" and "£300 per week rent" did you mean $'s. For $250pw on food, you could live very well, unless you have a very large family.

There is another Electrician that has moved out our way recently, and maybe they can help with ideas on income and costs etc., in the more specific Bayside area

Old Apr 1st 2005, 6:02 am
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future
Default Re: Surviving on a Tradesman's Wage in Brisbane

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
When you mentioned "£250 weekly food bill" and "£300 per week rent" did you mean $'s. For $250pw on food, you could live very well, unless you have a very large family.

There is another Electrician that has moved out our way recently, and maybe they can help with ideas on income and costs etc., in the more specific Bayside area

Hi. Yes that would be me.
I start a new job on monday after working for 6 months as a trades assistant on $19 an hour. I had to do all the exams etc and have now gained my full licence. I will be on $29 an hour and have the use of a fuel paid van.
There is loads of work for electricians in Brissie especially with the forcoming boom. Ive heard they are pumping $3 to $5 billion into brissie in the next 10 years so there will be some good money to be made.
Darren