Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

survey from "Fujitsu Consulting" on bank fees

survey from "Fujitsu Consulting" on bank fees

Old Mar 1st 2009, 8:46 am
ABCDiamond

Default survey from "Fujitsu Consulting" on bank fees

A new survey from "Fujitsu Consulting" on bank fees, shows:

Australians are paying hundreds of dollars more in bank fees each year than their British and US counterparts.

Australians pay on average $1,000 a year for banking services.
In the USA they pay $850 on average.
British pay on average $749.

So expect to pay about 33% more than you currently do, if you are average.
Or of course choose not to be average, shop around, and pay next to nothing

Story at: http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/m...015825,00.html

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:56 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: survey from "Fujitsu Consulting" on bank fees

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A new survey from "Fujitsu Consulting" on bank fees, shows:

Australians are paying hundreds of dollars more in bank fees each year than their British and US counterparts.

Australians pay on average $1,000 a year for banking services.
In the USA they pay $850 on average.
British pay on average $749.

So expect to pay about 33% more than you currently do, if you are average.
Or of course choose not to be average, shop around, and pay next to nothing

Story at: http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/m...015825,00.html

So, basically what we all know already. I liked this line, which sums it up very concisely. Yet again, another example of the Australian government allowing big business to shaft the consumer:

"In the UK, the Government has stepped in to regulate fees to make sure they correspond to the costs to the bank, but there is no requirement for bank charges to bear any relationship to cost here,"

I also don't understand why so many Aussies suddenly get so defensive about being ripped off left and right by their banks. The concept of moving to a reduced fee bank seems alien to them - It's almost like they enjoy it.

S
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
So, basically what we all know already. I liked this line, which sums it up very concisely. Yet again, another example of the Australian government allowing big business to shaft the consumer:

"In the UK, the Government has stepped in to regulate fees to make sure they correspond to the costs to the bank, but there is no requirement for bank charges to bear any relationship to cost here,"

I also don't understand why so many Aussies suddenly get so defensive about being ripped off left and right by their banks. The concept of moving to a reduced fee bank seems alien to them - It's almost like they enjoy it.

S
I have to admit that I don't recall any Australians saying that they actually enjoying paying fees.
But I am aware that a number of them don't do much, or anything, to minimise their fees.

Most of us know that we can get banking facilities here without having to pay any fees, if we want to, but it seems that many Australians may not be aware of that, because it has always been normal to pay.

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

I have to admit that I don't recall any Australians saying that they actually enjoying paying fees.
But I am aware that a number of them don't do much, or anything, to minimise their fees.

Most of us know that we can get banking facilities here without having to pay any fees, if we want to, but it seems that many Australians may not be aware of that, because it has always been normal to pay.
I saw that report, but what was strange was that in the UK I never paid any fees for banking (had no car loans etc, just day to day stuff). Here I have top pay for the account, how many times I use the cash machine etc.

I know there are aways around it, but to get us started again, we went with this and thus the fees are 100% more than we paid in the UK.

Rip off Britain is not the only rip off country...
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 8:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by slipshot
I saw that report, but what was strange was that in the UK I never paid any fees for banking (had no car loans etc, just day to day stuff). Here I have top pay for the account, how many times I use the cash machine etc.

I know there are aways around it, but to get us started again, we went with this and thus the fees are 100% more than we paid in the UK.

Rip off Britain is not the only rip off country...
Maybe in the UK new migrants get caught and pay fees, because they aren't aware that they can do as you did ?

If the average cost in the UK is $749, then someone must be paying.

Just like some people in Australia pay, but, just like you when you were in the UK, I don't pay here in Australia

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

If the average cost in the UK is $749, then someone must be paying.

:
Usually it's small businesses....... ya pay to put it in & you pay to take it out
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rossi
Usually it's small businesses....... ya pay to put it in & you pay to take it out
Those figures are quoted as being for Households, not businesses.

A business will generally pay a lot more than those figures.

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

RobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the rough

I've heard that there is a 'fee culture' within Australian banks and we are just about to open accounts and move some money over there so would appreciate any tips for reducing or avoiding fees for normal day to day use.

Can anybody recommend any particular banks or account types or even ways of using banking services which reduce this as low as possible?

Any tips greatly appreciated
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 10:13 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by RobertC
I've heard that there is a 'fee culture' within Australian banks and we are just about to open accounts and move some money over there so would appreciate any tips for reducing or avoiding fees for normal day to day use.

Can anybody recommend any particular banks or account types or even ways of using banking services which reduce this as low as possible?

Any tips greatly appreciated
Credit Card
Get an ANZ rewards credit card, and pay them the annual fee of $48.
BUT... spend $9,504 a year on the card, and you will earn at least 6,336 points which can be cashed in for a $48 credit on your card. (Although you do need to reach 13,200 points before you can cash them in for a $100 credit on your credit card account).
Bank Account
Open a HSBC online saver account, and pay no fees.
You can use any HSBC or Westpac Bank ATM, without incurring ATM fees.
You can also withdraw cash from any supermarket or post office, without fees.
My bank fees last year were:
$2.00 when my wife used the wrong ATM
$48.00 for annual credit card fee
less
$200.00 credit back from ANZ Card
Net: I received $150.00 for using my accounts.
I never got that, back in the UK (Although I have heard that people in the UK now get paid for having credit cards, but it wasn't available when I was there)

Oh yes, I also got paid interest on my money in the HSBC account..

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:45 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

I work for a major bank and the amount of customers who just use other banks ATMS for balance checks and small withdrawals is amazing. Also you find some people are on old accounts paying the wrong fee structure, many a time I have explained how to save them money and even though none of there details will change they do not want to do it!!!! It's amazing the people over here and specially the young people don't care about it.
Gary
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

Bank Account

Can you open this bank account and deposit money in it before you arrive in Australia?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:48 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by TandC23
Bank Account

Can you open this bank account and deposit money in it before you arrive in Australia?
Yes. The HSBC London office normally deal with it via your local UK branch staff.

This is the account I use: http://www.hsbc.com.au/personal/accounts/osa.html

Your everyday banking account with a great rate and attractive features saving you money on fees
$0 monthly account keeping fee
Unlimited ATM transactions at over 1,800 HSBC and Westpac branded1 ATMs nationwide with no charge
Competitive interest rates with a minimum opening deposit of $2,000
The interest rate isn't as good as it used to be though

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

There is another tip for dealing with HSBC if you have a bigger amount of money to start with.

Open Premier Account with them at home, than ask them to help you open an account in Australia (which will be a Premier Account as well = no limits on withdrawals from ATMs, no fees, better rates etc.) once you move your money here and let's say buy a house, downgrade the account back home to a standard.
You stay Premier in Oz without the need for keeping a high balance.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:57 pm
ABCDiamond

The interest rate isn't as good as it used to be though
I just checked my balances, and saw that for every $10 in interest that I used to get a year ago, I now only get $2.50 !!