Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Surge Protection needed for plugs?

Surge Protection needed for plugs?

Old Oct 6th 2004, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

paul&kath is a jewel in the roughpaul&kath is a jewel in the roughpaul&kath is a jewel in the roughpaul&kath is a jewel in the rough
Default Surge Protection needed for plugs?

I thought I had been clever by getting hold of a number of 4-way extension plug sockets and plug adapters for using UK electrical equipment in Oz. I have recently read though that surge protected extensions are preferable. Do I need to splash out on some of then as well or is anyone using non surge protection ones with no problems?
Old Oct 6th 2004, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Surge Protection needed for plugs?

Originally Posted by paul&kath
I thought I had been clever by getting hold of a number of 4-way extension plug sockets and plug adapters for using UK electrical equipment in Oz. I have recently read though that surge protected extensions are preferable. Do I need to splash out on some of then as well or is anyone using non surge protection ones with no problems?
Now THAT is a great idea, extension sockets, ta

As to surge protection, I always pay the extra - cannae be too careful.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 1:29 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Now THAT is a great idea, extension sockets, ta

As to surge protection, I always pay the extra - cannae be too careful.
I agree, surge protect extensions, you can't be to careful.

Walla
Old Oct 6th 2004, 2:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla1
I agree, surge protect extensions, you can't be to careful.

Walla
Certainly for stuff like computers. We get so many power fluctuations here (Brisbane) that they are an excellent idea - also there are far more electric storms here. I wouldn't trust the computer without one now - some days last summer it would get shut down 3 or 4 times a day because of power cuts; if the surges come as frequently they wouldn't be doing it any good. Even during the winter the lights will flash here quite often, and total power loss for no reason whatsoever is coomon. Nowhere near as reliable as the UK.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Certainly for stuff like computers. We get so many power fluctuations here (Brisbane) that they are an excellent idea - also there are far more electric storms here. I wouldn't trust the computer without one now - some days last summer it would get shut down 3 or 4 times a day because of power cuts; if the surges come as frequently they wouldn't be doing it any good. Even during the winter the lights will flash here quite often, and total power loss for no reason whatsoever is coomon. Nowhere near as reliable as the UK.
Not something I'd considered before thanks for the heads-up. Do the power outs last long or is it mostly just "brown-outs"?
Old Oct 6th 2004, 2:45 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Not something I'd considered before thanks for the heads-up. Do the power outs last long or is it mostly just "brown-outs"?
it varies - sometimes its just a couple of minutes, but we had one the night I finished at my old job and that lasted 3-4 hours. Bad ones caused by storms can last many hours, especially outside the city. They say that Qlds power supply can't cope, its not big enough to deal with all the air con etc and so they just shut bits of it down - or it collapses - every so often.
When I first got here the pc would reboot itself in a brief outage - the ones only lasting a few seconds. However it has now changed its tune, and at the slightest hint of an interruption in power it shuts down and has to be manually restarted.Obviously learnt by experience!!
I did have to learn how to do "restore"s - back to the previous day, as it often lost settings etc, though no actual data went. I'm very careful to back up on disc now, and am very accustomed to all the cookies going into oblivion.

if you're coming here - don't know about other states - keep torches and battery powered radio etc handy, I can guarantee you'll need them.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

it varies - sometimes its just a couple of minutes, but we had one the night I finished at my old job and that lasted 3-4 hours. Bad ones caused by storms can last many hours, especially outside the city. They say that Qlds power supply can't cope, its not big enough to deal with all the air con etc and so they just shut bits of it down - or it collapses - every so often.
When I first got here the pc would reboot itself in a brief outage - the ones only lasting a few seconds. However it has now changed its tune, and at the slightest hint of an interruption in power it shuts down and has to be manually restarted.Obviously learnt by experience!!
I did have to learn how to do "restore"s - back to the previous day, as it often lost settings etc, though no actual data went. I'm very careful to back up on disc now, and am very accustomed to all the cookies going into oblivion.

if you're coming here - don't know about other states - keep torches and battery powered radio etc handy, I can guarantee you'll need them.
Sounds like much fun to be had for an IT techie like me. I'm wondering if you can buy uninterruptable power supplies (UPS) now ...

In a world brimming with electronics a bit of candlelight makes a nice change anyway ...
Old Oct 6th 2004, 2:59 pm
Home and Happy

Wouldn't know about UPS, too techie for me
As for candlelight, I agree, but remember - Qlder husband - thinks the light from the flame will stop the sheep producing wool or some such cobblers I enjoy nice long baths with a bottle of wine and some candlelight, and he is totally paranoid - did actually warn me once that the candle could fall in and set fire to the bath....... However, he sees no problem with me using a mobile phone, plugged into its recharger and then intio the electric supply, while in the bath..... :scared:

Logic???Never in Qld!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

did actually warn me once that the candle could fall in and set fire to the bath.......
Never mind about setting fire to the bath, I don't want hot wax anywhere near me! Different for some women I guess ...
Old Oct 6th 2004, 3:09 pm
Home and Happy

Never mind about setting fire to the bath, I don't want hot wax anywhere near me! Different for some women I guess ...
Promise me something deadmeat - when you get over here in Jan or whenever, we just have to meet up! I love your sense of humour - you just crack me up, whatever the topic! Only trouble is its now 1.10am and I have to be up at 6.30......I can hear The Bloke now...."you were up late again on that forum weren't you....." Still he can't see the clock properly in the dark so even if he stirs I can lie..."no dear, in bed by 10pm like a good Qlder!"
nite!!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

Promise me something deadmeat - when you get over here in Jan or whenever, we just have to meet up! I love your sense of humour - you just crack me up, whatever the topic! Only trouble is its now 1.10am and I have to be up at 6.30......I can hear The Bloke now...."you were up late again on that forum weren't you....." Still he can't see the clock properly in the dark so even if he stirs I can lie..."no dear, in bed by 10pm like a good Qlder!"
nite!!
I can commit to that ... I've committed to every other bloody thing this year

It's nice to amuse one of the most helpful posters here ... enough back-slapping, I'm off to post something biblically offensive to even-out the score
Old Oct 6th 2004, 3:33 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, I have a couple of UPS's and was thinking of taking them with me! Guess the decision is now made .

Sounds like much fun to be had for an IT techie like me. I'm wondering if you can buy uninterruptable power supplies (UPS) now ...

In a world brimming with electronics a bit of candlelight makes a nice change anyway ...
Old Oct 6th 2004, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gsb
Interesting, I have a couple of UPS's and was thinking of taking them with me! Guess the decision is now made .
Aren't they heavy beasties with huge batteries? Maybe I'm thinking of the industrial stuff I used to "maintain" (i.e. check the green light was on).
Old Oct 6th 2004, 3:39 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they are, but if we are going to use a container, what does it matter? Unless I have missed something ?

"maintain" (i.e. check the green light was on) I like that!

Aren't they heavy beasties with huge batteries? Maybe I'm thinking of the industrial stuff I used to "maintain" (i.e. check the green light was on).
Old Oct 7th 2004, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Yes power can occassionally be a bit eratic here but I've lived in Brisbane 5 years now and I've surge protected plugs on my computer and Tv and in those 5 years they have never tripped once and I've had no damage done to any of my household equipment which is not on the a surge protector.

Surge protectors won't stop pc rebooting if power fluctuates they are just to prevent damage due to over voltages or spikes. To stop reboots when you loose power you need UPS and British UPS will work fine here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.