Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Surburbs worth looking at near to Osbourne Park?

Surburbs worth looking at near to Osbourne Park?

Old May 19th 2011, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

debs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nice
Default Surburbs worth looking at near to Osbourne Park?

Hi Guys

I am sure you read post after post about the best suburbs to live in, but I received a phone call today about a prospective job working in Osbourne Park. Alot of the jobs in my type of field of work seem to be around that neck of the words or Subacico.

Can you please advise which are the better suburbs to start looking at (initially we will be renting). We are a family of 4 so I will be looking for a primary school for my son and my daughter is looking at going to Uni (possibly). My partner is a plasterer but alot of building work appears north and south.

A list of suburbs I have been taking a look at are:-

Stirling
Edgewater
Heathridge
Sorrento
Kingsley
Mullaloo
Padbury
Kinross
Clarkson
Woodvale
Balcatta
Innaloo
Woodlands
Balga
Balcatta
Mindarie

So the list is so long but I am not quite sure where to start. Your advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Debbie
Old May 19th 2011, 11:56 pm
Last remaining Dec PR app

biibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nice
Default Re: Surburbs worth looking at near to Osbourne Park?

Hi

If you can get a decent rental in Woodlands: go for that one! It's a beautiful, peaceful suburb. Some more pluses:
- good access to schools (within catchment of churchland sh)
- good shopping, cinema, dining in walking distance in Innalloo
- quick drive to CBD avoiding the freeway
- short drive to the beach

You might want to have a look at Doubleview, Wembley Downs or Scarborough, too.

Balga, Balcatta would certainly not be at the top of my list.
Old May 19th 2011, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debs1966
Hi Guys

I am sure you read post after post about the best suburbs to live in, but I received a phone call today about a prospective job working in Osbourne Park. Alot of the jobs in my type of field of work seem to be around that neck of the words or Subacico.

Can you please advise which are the better suburbs to start looking at (initially we will be renting). We are a family of 4 so I will be looking for a primary school for my son and my daughter is looking at going to Uni (possibly). My partner is a plasterer but alot of building work appears north and south.

Stirling - some older areas, plus some very new ones, very close to freeway and busy road, easy commute
Edgewater - long way to commute, good for 1 uni campus
Heathridge - long way to commute but one of those suburbs some Perthites would avoid
Sorrento - long way to commute but it is on the coast
Kingsley - long way to commute, good for 1 uni campus
Mullaloo - long way to commute but it is on the coast, good for 1 uni campus
Padbury - long way to commute, good for 1 uni campus
Kinross - long way to commute, good for 1 uni campus
Clarkson - some happy there, cheaper area, most Perthites would avoid
Woodvale - long way to commute, good for 1 uni campus
Innaloo - easy commute, some OK areas, but bit iffy on others, loads of HomesWest
Woodlands - very nice suburb, easy commute
Balga - NO WAY
Balcatta - some OK areas in newer subdivisions, but bit iffy otherwise
Mindarie - long way to commute, good for 1 uni campus

So the list is so long but I am not quite sure where to start. Your advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Debbie
Translation of Perth terms: Long way to commute - would be considered too far by Perthites, but if you are used to and happy with about 45 mins, no problem. Suburbs Perthites would aviod - if you meet a local and they asked where you lived, they might well think less of you for living there.

Primary schools can vary a lot, high schools are more an issue - how far away from high school is your son? Perhaps you might be able to afford to rent in Woodlands, but it's expensive to buy there. You could rent in an area while your son is in primary, then look at his options for high school (state or private) for where you might want to buy.

Uni - does your daughter know what she wants to do for a degree? If she decides on a course at a uni SOR, it would be a very long commute for her. Uni campuses are:

University of Western Autralia (UWA) - Nedlands (NOR, just)
Edith Cowan University (ECU) - Joondalup and Mt Lawley (NOR)
Curtin University - Bentley (SOR)
Murdoch University - Murdoch (SOR)
Notre Dame - Fremantle (SOR, just)

Other suburbs to consider:
Wembley
West Leederville
Subiaco
Tuart Hill
Joondanna
Mt Hawthorn
Wembley Downs
Scarborough
Karrinyup
Gwelup
Doubleview
Old May 20th 2011, 2:13 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Translation of Perth terms: Long way to commute - would be considered too far by Perthites, but if you are used to and happy with about 45 mins, no problem. Suburbs Perthites would aviod - if you meet a local and they asked where you lived, they might well think less of you for living there.

Primary schools can vary a lot, high schools are more an issue - how far away from high school is your son? Perhaps you might be able to afford to rent in Woodlands, but it's expensive to buy there. You could rent in an area while your son is in primary, then look at his options for high school (state or private) for where you might want to buy.

Uni - does your daughter know what she wants to do for a degree? If she decides on a course at a uni SOR, it would be a very long commute for her. Uni campuses are:

University of Western Autralia (UWA) - Nedlands (NOR, just)
Edith Cowan University (ECU) - Joondalup and Mt Lawley (NOR)
Curtin University - Bentley (SOR)
Murdoch University - Murdoch (SOR)
Notre Dame - Fremantle (SOR, just)

Other suburbs to consider:
Wembley
West Leederville
Subiaco
Tuart Hill
Joondanna
Mt Hawthorn
Wembley Downs
Scarborough
Karrinyup
Gwelup
Doubleview
This.
Old May 20th 2011, 8:26 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I would echo most of what the others have said in terms of quality of suburbs other than to say it depends on your determination of 'a long way'

I lived in Sorrento for 12 months when I arrived 6 years ago and it took my husband about 40 minutes door to door. I now live close to Joondalup and that is about 55 mins door to door. This is public transport not driving. My husband couldn't abide driving and he is more than happy to take the train. We did 10 years of London commuting so Perth public transport, whilst busy at peak hours is nothing compared to that.
Old May 21st 2011, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by debs1966
Hi Guys

Stirling
Edgewater
Heathridge
Sorrento
Kingsley
Mullaloo
Padbury
Kinross
Clarkson
Woodvale
Balcatta
Innaloo
Woodlands
Balga
Balcatta
Mindarie

Many thanks

Debbie
My husband started a job 2 weeks ago in Osborne Park. He rents a fully-furnished one-bedroomed unit in nearby Shenton Park which he says is lovely, especially as close to King's Park but properties there are expensive to buy and also the rent i s high. He looked at a townhouse and it was $1,000 a week.