Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Support Groups in Oz

Support Groups in Oz

Old Jan 31st 2004, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

glhall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Support Groups in Oz

Podgypossums getting a support group going in Adelaide. I think it deserves some sort of award because its a great idea. this forum provides advice before you get there but practical help/advice when you arrive is what all of us could do with. Thomaz situation comes to mind. Are there any support groups in Brisbane/ melbourne/ perth/Sydney.
If not is there anyone prepared to organise one?

Graham
Old Jan 31st 2004, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Thanks for the mention Graham, but it isnt just me doing it. There are several other people involved and working very hard on it. I just had the initial idea.

Less take, more give, might be a good starting point... but i dare not say anymore...i am way too controversial as it is.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:27 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

If there can be a national support group, with a common website and forum it would be much better.

I can help out with the website if you`d like for any support project.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Stormz
If there can be a national support group, with a common website and forum it would be much better.

I can help out with the website if you`d like for any support project.

I agree with the national website idea Stormz, but if you want to create something for personal and individual help, i think you need regional groups specific to each area or city.
Because they all have seperate governemnts and are all very distant from each other it would be difficult, but certainly having one for each region and linking it to a national website would be good.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:47 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Yeah, that`s what I meant.... a general forum like this one so ppl from all over Aus can communicate (the more advice/help the better), but on the main site there will be sections for each state.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:55 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi folks
dont mean to hijack the thread but would you be able to get any financial help for your projects??
I ask because I am chairperson of a local group(in uk) and we have had funding from various government grants and the lottery, and I know the committee members , who have told me they get lots of applications from projects in the area who are setting up support groups for, for eg yemeni support, gypsy/traveller support etc. I live in an Objective One area here in the uk, but is there something similar in Oz/NZ?
Isnt there a migrant support office, I vaguely remember seeing a website link on one of the govt sites/dimia??? perhaps if you get in touch with them they may be able to offer help/advice/assistance/financial help?

good luck guys.......from little acorns great oaks grow!!!

sue
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Good..thats settled then ..LOL

But another problem is getting people to actually do what they say they will. We are very lucky so far in Adelaide, we have a really good group. I am truly amazed at the talents i have discovered these people have.

Its not just about sitting at a puter fiddling with a website though. You need to do a lot of ground work, and local information gathering. There is much much more to do offline too. I guess it depends on what sort of help you want to offer, but the website side of it is just the start.

Getting those willing to help out on the not so glamourous tasks i can see being quite difficult.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:57 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that`s what I meant.... a general forum like this one so ppl from all over Aus can communicate (the more advice/help the better), but on the main site there will be sections for each state.

Why not ask the administrator or whoever to give you a separate forum on expats??
You could ask him to put a caveat on the forum saying any unsympathetic poster stay out!!!!!

sue
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
hi folks
dont mean to hijack the thread but would you be able to get any financial help for your projects??
I ask because I am chairperson of a local group(in uk) and we have had funding from various government grants and the lottery, and I know the committee members , who have told me they get lots of applications from projects in the area who are setting up support groups for, for eg yemeni support, gypsy/traveller support etc. I live in an Objective One area here in the uk, but is there something similar in Oz/NZ?
Isnt there a migrant support office, I vaguely remember seeing a website link on one of the govt sites/dimia??? perhaps if you get in touch with them they may be able to offer help/advice/assistance/financial help?

good luck guys.......from little acorns great oaks grow!!!

sue

Thanx Sue..i shall investigate on Monday. Hurry up and get here...you can be our marketing consultant
Old Jan 31st 2004, 10:01 am
ABCDiamond

Can't www.britishexpats.com be split into sections to cover such an idea ?

Old Jan 31st 2004, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes..but you would need to get an active group involved in each state...is that possible??
Old Jan 31st 2004, 10:05 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
I ask because I am chairperson of a local group.

Suppose you will be aiming for promotion to Doorwoman next then
Old Jan 31st 2004, 10:06 am

here is the link for the migrant resource centre - think you click on SA on the drop down menu at the bottom and links you up to the centre in SA....link for the one in adelaide is in there somewhere.
This is also a link for other states too

http://www.immi.gov.au/settle/help/s...source_centres

sue

ooops this IS the link for the SA site.....
Old Jan 31st 2004, 10:09 am

this is the link for the australia wide site....this is the one you click on the menu at the bottom for the choice of states!

http://www.immi.gov.au/settle/help/index.htm

sue
Old Jan 31st 2004, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

WE NEED YOU SUE!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.