Supply / relief teaching

Supply / relief teaching

Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Simon and Gaynor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Supply / relief teaching

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
A couple of points:

Generally, there is work in areas where people don't want to live -ie.out west, in remote towns and places where they have trouble finding teachers....but woiuld you want to move to that part of the world.

In nice areas it can be YEARS before a full time job is available - for example, NSW central coast and Newcastle, great place to live, wonderful beaches, terrific lifestyle - but there is an 8-10 year wait for full time jobs in primary. High school teachers (especially maths and the sciences) are much easier to come by.

Most of the casual work comes directly from the schools themselves, rather than from agencies (the exception woule be in cities where agenceis tend to at least provide some work.

Each state has their own requirements and approvals process for teachers

Good luck!
Hi Andy,

Just read your info. From my research from my laptop and phone calls to Aus primary teaching in a good area of Aus seems very difficult. You souns very sus to the real situation.

I've heard from contacts that in 2-3 years alot of older staff are due to retire?

What do you think of the idea of moving to Aus in 3 years as now just seems like the "Come teach in Aus " adverts are false promises!

Thanks.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon and Gaynor
Hi Andy,

Just read your info. From my research from my laptop and phone calls to Aus primary teaching in a good area of Aus seems very difficult. You souns very sus to the real situation.

I've heard from contacts that in 2-3 years alot of older staff are due to retire?

What do you think of the idea of moving to Aus in 3 years as now just seems like the "Come teach in Aus " adverts are false promises!

Thanks.
Equally, you could try and come now but be prepared to take something out in the back of beyond then you would at least be in the system. It wont be the usual expat "dream" of macmansion with pool by the beach but it could be really interesting! It could give you permanence in a state system which you could then use to transfer rather than trying to get into the high demands places right from the start.

I dont know that the high demand areas are going to get easier to get into or not in 3 years time. What seems to be happening with school based management where the principals have the capacity to hire their own staff, is that they are wanting to hire the cheapest option so the new qualified teachers are getting more short term contracts because they cost less than more experienced ones. Schools are also being a bit tricky and giving people limited contracts so that they dont have to give them permanency. It really is not a happy looking situation!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Simon and Gaynor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quoll
Equally, you could try and come now but be prepared to take something out in the back of beyond then you would at least be in the system. It wont be the usual expat "dream" of macmansion with pool by the beach but it could be really interesting! It could give you permanence in a state system which you could then use to transfer rather than trying to get into the high demands places right from the start.

I dont know that the high demand areas are going to get easier to get into or not in 3 years time. What seems to be happening with school based management where the principals have the capacity to hire their own staff, is that they are wanting to hire the cheapest option so the new qualified teachers are getting more short term contracts because they cost less than more experienced ones. Schools are also being a bit tricky and giving people limited contracts so that they dont have to give them permanency. It really is not a happy looking situation!

Hi,

Thanks for the honest reply. Do you know of any contacts in Perth or Brisbane re primary teaching opportunities?

Thanks.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

mrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nice

Ahhh, this is not what I want to hear... I have just started my four year teaching degree with JCU !!