What to do...

Old Feb 13th 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default What to do...

Hi we have sent off our TRA so hoping to get a positive result sometime soon. The question is, do we apply straight away for our visa and therefore if everything goes to plan, will probably need to be in Oz in around 12 monthsish or do we hold off applying and save, save, save for a bigger deposit to put down on a house. I have read so much about the rise in house prices in Australia recently but how much realistically are they rising? If we could save another £30000 pounds in a year would we be better off waiting and going with more money? On the other hand, if the cost of property is on the rise would an extra £30000 buy us something the same in 2 years time????

Thanks
Old Feb 13th 2008, 2:21 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do...

Originally Posted by GillyG
Hi we have sent off our TRA so hoping to get a positive result sometime soon. The question is, do we apply straight away for our visa and therefore if everything goes to plan, will probably need to be in Oz in around 12 monthsish or do we hold off applying and save, save, save for a bigger deposit to put down on a house. I have read so much about the rise in house prices in Australia recently but how much realistically are they rising? If we could save another £30000 pounds in a year would we be better off waiting and going with more money? On the other hand, if the cost of property is on the rise would an extra £30000 buy us something the same in 2 years time????

Thanks
If you get a positive TRA result then there is no rush to submit your visa application as it doesn't expire on a certain date like some of the other skills assessments.
We haven't got much money to move with, and will rent for over a year first in Oz.
If the house prices keep rising then you will be in the same situation with more £ in the bank but higher house prices......so I would just go sooner rather than later. It's going to take a good few months to get your visa anyway, so keep saving in the meantime!!!
Beth x x
Old Feb 13th 2008, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Fiona67 is on a distinguished road

If we could save another £30000 pounds in a year

Wish I could save £30,000 in a year
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Ok, we have received a positive TRA yay! But now we need to decied what to do...apply now or wait and save? Another thing is that we can currently count 15 MODL points for my OHs occupation (Aircraft Maintenence Engineer Avionics) but I guess this could change at anytime and we would loose the points...decisions, decisions!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all

Bear in mind that you won't get your visa straight away. By the time you apply, get it, and get ready to go, it could well be a year anyway.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GillyG

Thanks
As Aus is expecting a crash in prices in the near future I'd hang on if I were you! As it equates to over $60,000 I'd very much doubt any house will shoot up that much unless you're heading for Sydney.

Will second the wish I could save £30,000 a year, wish I earned that much
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Ask yourself this:

If your OH's job comes off the MODL is there any way you could get a visa? and if not would you be disappointed if you couldn't get in?

No point having enough money if you can't get a visa
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

I would dispute OP's statement that Aus is expecting a property crash in the near future. IMO I'd get here asap as I believe there will only be a slow in growth not a crash. Last year propety rose by an average of 9.88% and predictions for this year are 6-8% (average).