Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Superannuation Queries

Superannuation Queries

Old Oct 2nd 2010, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

PeterDeng is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Superannuation Queries

I just got an offer from a Sydney Company. Their HR told me when i arrive in Sydney, i need to fill in some Super Form. What kind of information i need to provide there?

Seems i also need to select the fund that i will use my Super to invest in, right?
How do i know which fund is good?

What other selections i need to make for my Super Account? Want to get prepared before i go to HR to sign and fill in the form.

THanks
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 5:36 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to Fill in the Super Form and How to Select Super Fund

The vast majority of employees apparently just go along with the company's super provider, thinking they don't have a choice. This might not be the best idea and might allow substantial management fees to be collected. Do some research.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How to Fill in the Super Form and How to Select Super Fund

I'd probably just go with the default fund first and then do your investigations after you get here since you can easily transfer your super to a different fund.

There are lots of options for super from the basic sold over the counter fund that Westpac branches offer to Self Managed Super funds that require some significant funds before they become viable but can have lots of sophisticated options.

With regard to the info they require to set a super account up it is generally only your usual personal details (name, address, dob etc.) plus your TFN

Last edited by spottydog; Oct 4th 2010 at 1:34 am. Reason: added what required
Old Oct 4th 2010, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Default Super Contribution Question (Contribute from my own salary)

Do you all choose to comtribute more into the Super from your own salalry in order to reduce the income tax?

Actually i am thinking to do so, but not sure about the Pros and Cons for this..

And if one day i decide to leave OZ, can i take my super out..

For normal Super Account, when can i use the money in teh acoount? 65 years old?
Old Oct 4th 2010, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

kellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Super Contribution Question (Contribute from my own salary)

I don't know about the first bit but at the bottom of the email confirming my visa it had details about taking my super out. So it is possible.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Super Contribution Question (Contribute from my own salary)

Yes, salary sacrificed a lot of my own money into super over the years and am very grateful now that I did.

I think you cannot take it out of the country if you are a permanent resident and you must leave it until preservation age - varied according to the year you are born http://www.ato.gov.au/super/content....tent/48211.htm However, it appears that some people have managed to persuade the ATO that they are leaving Aus forever even though they have permanent resident status (not quite sure how they have done that) and they get access to their super but with the regular tax deducted from it which is higher than the tax they have to pay on it when it is super. I think you may be able to access the part that you have put into the super fund at any time you like, the employer contributions are the ones which are locked in.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 10:19 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can but.......

All contributions to super are taxed at 15%. Your employer by law has to pay in 9% on your behalf. The maximum you can contribute per annum is $25,000. So you can work if you can contribute and how much.
But also if you are in the 15% tax band then contibuting to super saves you nothing and might as well pay the income tax and invest it somewhere more flexible.

The $25,000 limit increases to $50K when you are 50 or 55 IIRC
Old Oct 4th 2010, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

llanfachreth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Yes you can but.......

All contributions to super are taxed at 15%. Your employer by law has to pay in 9% on your behalf. The maximum you can contribute per annum is $25,000. So you can work if you can contribute and how much.
But also if you are in the 15% tax band then contibuting to super saves you nothing and might as well pay the income tax and invest it somewhere more flexible.

You can make non-concessional contributions too. No contributions tax on this. Cap of $150k pa
Old Oct 5th 2010, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Yes you can but.......

Thanks all for your reply. But i am a little bit confused here. These are my questions.

1) 9% company Super Contributuon, tax rate is 15%, but this tax is paid by the gov, so for me, it is tax free, right?

2) If i make Concessional contribution from my salary, for example, the amount i pay is 12K into the Super. Do I need to pay the 15% tax of this 12K by myself or it is by the Gov as well?

3) If i do Non-concessional contribution. How the tax for that calculated? Do i pay or Gov pay?
Old Oct 5th 2010, 10:34 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeterDeng
Thanks all for your reply. But i am a little bit confused here. These are my questions.

1) 9% company Super Contributuon, tax rate is 15%, but this tax is paid by the gov, so for me, it is tax free, right?

2) If i make Concessional contribution from my salary, for example, the amount i pay is 12K into the Super. Do I need to pay the 15% tax of this 12K by myself or it is by the Gov as well?

3) If i do Non-concessional contribution. How the tax for that calculated? Do i pay or Gov pay?
Ok, unless I have misunderstood you, the Gov NEVER pay your tax for you!

1) Your employer must deposit 9% of your salary minimum into super. If they deposit $100 into super, then the ATO (taxman) takes $15 leaving you with $85 to invest. So no hip pocket cost I guess.

2) If you contribute $12K from pre income tax earnings, then like above when that $12K hits super, the ATO swipe 15% so no additional tax bills.

3) There is no tax. As you have made contributions to super from post tax earnings, there is no taxation on deposit.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Ok, unless I have misunderstood you, the Gov NEVER pay your tax for you!

1) Your employer must deposit 9% of your salary minimum into super. If they deposit $100 into super, then the ATO (taxman) takes $15 leaving you with $85 to invest. So no hip pocket cost I guess.

2) If you contribute $12K from pre income tax earnings, then like above when that $12K hits super, the ATO swipe 15% so no additional tax bills.

3) There is no tax. As you have made contributions to super from post tax earnings, there is no taxation on deposit.
Thanks for your reply.

1) But it seems different from "Super contributions are taxed at 15%, but this is done direct to the Government by the super company - as far as your personal income tax is concerned they are tax-free. But this only applies up to a set limit which varies with age: over 55 you can put more in tax-free and yet more again at 60+. Any contributions over that limit have to be made out of income which has been taxed. The current concessional limit for under 50's is $25,000." This is from one of the Post in this forum. Does it say that Gov will pay 15% tax on super or i misunderstand?

2)Another Question on how to do employee contribution. Do i have to let the Company know when i join the company? or do i need to fill in some on line form to Super to make that happen.. Just want to know the procedures.

THanks
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

Default Salary sacrificed super and Super Personal Contribution are the same thing?

Salary sacrificed super and Super Personal Contribution are the same thing?

If not, what are the difference.
And what is good for my as a empoyee.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:24 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary sacrificed super and Super Personal Contribution are the same thing?

Salary sacrificed super - your employer takes out the super before calculating your taxable income, so your PAYG tax is on the gross less the super.

Personal contribution is an additional payment that you make out of your net (taxed) income - you will then get a tax refund after July 1st (or whenever you put in your tax return) for the tax paid on those contributions.

If you are an employee then salary sacrifice is the way to go.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:36 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Super Contribution Question (Contribute from my own salary)

Originally Posted by PeterDeng
Thanks for your reply.

1) But it seems different from "Super contributions are taxed at 15%, but this is done direct to the Government by the super company - as far as your personal income tax is concerned they are tax-free. But this only applies up to a set limit which varies with age: over 55 you can put more in tax-free and yet more again at 60+. Any contributions over that limit have to be made out of income which has been taxed. The current concessional limit for under 50's is $25,000." This is from one of the Post in this forum. Does it say that Gov will pay 15% tax on super or i misunderstand? Yes, you misunderstood - believe me, the Government NEVER pays tax for you! Every dollar that you put into super (up to your concessional limit) is money you don't pay income tax on, but your super fund manager takes that dollar, gives 15 cents to the tax office, and then invests the remaining 85 cents. If your marginal tax rate is more than 15% (i.e. you earn over $37,000) then you are effectively 15 cents or more better off putting the dollar into super.

2)Another Question on how to do employee contribution. Do i have to let the Company know when i join the company? or do i need to fill in some on line form to Super to make that happen.. Just want to know the procedures. Your employer will have the necessary forms for you to fill out when you join.

THanks

Hope that helps
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Hope that helps
Now i got it. Thanks a lot. This is very helpful...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.