Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

superannuation and medicare

superannuation and medicare

Old Jul 10th 2010, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice
Default superannuation and medicare

Hi

looking at coming on a 457 and am confused over superannuation and medicare...

superannuation:
we are presumming it is a pensions scheme which our company is willing to pay 10% and on leaving we can claim back minus tax (presumably at 38%).
Is it worth putting personal contributions to that and what would be the cost of claiming that back when we leave... as you would in UK or would be better saving $1000 pcm in a seperate savings account and addinjg to uk pension on return??
also does it include a death in service.... if not how much is life cover in Oz.

medicare:

is that 1.5% of the cash element of the salary ....

many thanks busy doing last figures before making big decision by monday am.....
Old Jul 10th 2010, 12:12 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: superannuation and medicare

Superannuation is 9% of gross payroll salary, and is a compulsory payment by the employer to a super fund of your choice.
You can add more to it if you wish.

Not sure of the benefits in your situation, as it isn't something I have delved into.

Medicare is normally 1.5% of your payroll salary.

Old Jul 10th 2010, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Superannuation is 9% of gross payroll salary, and is a compulsory payment by the employer to a super fund of your choice.
You can add more to it if you wish.

Not sure of the benefits in your situation, as it isn't something I have delved into.

Medicare is normally 1.5% of your payroll salary.
Thanx for that....
If on a 457 have i interpreted right that you are taxed as a non resident for 6 months then resident after that? What difference does that make financially....???
So many questions but. We now know rental income at home wont cover outgoings and need to find every penny so we can transfer some home every month :-(((
Old Jul 10th 2010, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heldownunder
Thanx for that....
If on a 457 have i interpreted right that you are taxed as a non resident for 6 months then resident after that? What difference does that make financially....???
So many questions but. We now know rental income at home wont cover outgoings and need to find every penny so we can transfer some home every month :-(((
Where did you hear that? I have never heard that. I thought that a 457 holder would be taxed as a resident, other than for a concession that overseas income is not taxed in Australia.

If you were a non resident (which I don't believe you will be) then you would pay more tax.