Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

superannuation funds

superannuation funds

Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney
threlly is on a distinguished road
Default superannuation funds

hi there
we are looking into a superannuation fund for my partners job (he works in IT) and we are not sure who to go with. where do we start etc? any help/advice would be very much appreciated
thanks
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: superannuation funds

Originally Posted by threlly
hi there
we are looking into a superannuation fund for my partners job (he works in IT) and we are not sure who to go with. where do we start etc? any help/advice would be very much appreciated
thanks
try here:

http://www.choice.com.au/subCat.aspx...1&catId=100268
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:47 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by threlly
hi there
thanks
2 companies that I use and am happy with are MLC and Colonial First State.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 12:32 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
2 companies that I use and am happy with are MLC and Colonial First State.
Why do you like Colonial First State? I have no opinions of them, I'm just wondering

When my husband got his job a few months ago we just went with Colonial because that's who the company was associated with, and also because we didn't have a clue! My husband said the guys at work don't keep their super with them because they have lots of fees so you don't gain much (their statement not ours). So we're starting to look into everything.

So just wondering what you like about them.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 2:24 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Virgin Super

http://virginmoney.com.au/superannuation/

I used to be with BT, but found Virgin had much lower rates - I also like the "no jargon" approach and everything can be managed on-line.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 6:08 am
RRZ
Forum Regular

RRZ is an unknown quantity at this point

It's worthwhile looking at the public offer funds, such as AustralianSuper. The retail funds eg. BT/CFS are often "pushed" by financial adviser because they get a trail commission - they generally charge higher management fees, although they (only) sometimes offer a wider range of investment options. You've probably seen the TV ads... there's more than a grain of truth in them.

Have a look at the two following sites for some background:

www.superratings.com.au

www.selectingsuper.com.au
Old Aug 13th 2007, 6:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Why do you like Colonial First State? I have no opinions of them, I'm just wondering

When my husband got his job a few months ago we just went with Colonial because that's who the company was associated with, and also because we didn't have a clue! My husband said the guys at work don't keep their super with them because they have lots of fees so you don't gain much (their statement not ours). So we're starting to look into everything.

So just wondering what you like about them.
Sure. The fund I have with them is slightly higher risk and the growth at the moment is very good - although I'm sure this recent market turmoil is going to knock that down a bit! They are part of Commonwealth bank and have a good reputation in my opinion.

I also did not use an advisor and did my own research.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 7:12 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Speak to a competent and reasonably priced financial advisor.

Advising in this area is what they do for a living.

Best regards.