Superannuation

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

ivanbaba is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Superannuation

Hello Folks,

I hope you guys had great Halloween party and fun with friends.

I am moving overseas and wondering that how would I get my Superannuation back. I called ATO and asked how would I get it back but they told me that as I am permanent residence here, I can't get it back until I turn 65 yrs old.

If you guys know if there is any way to get my Super fund then please advise me and also if you know any super fund adviser then also let me know.

Hope to hear from you soon guys.

R/P.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Superannuation

I think that is right - although there was someone on MBTTUK forum I think who managed to get it. Maybe they had to plead hardship and absolutely cancel their visa or something but the rules do say that a refund of super is available only to temporary residents.

I guess they figure if you are permanent you can come back and they would rather that you had the provision to provide for yourself in old age than rely on Centrelink handouts.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanbaba
Hello Folks,

I hope you guys had great Halloween party and fun with friends.

I am moving overseas and wondering that how would I get my Superannuation back. I called ATO and asked how would I get it back but they told me that as I am permanent residence here, I can't get it back until I turn 65 yrs old.

If you guys know if there is any way to get my Super fund then please advise me and also if you know any super fund adviser then also let me know.

Hope to hear from you soon guys.

R/P.
Try this thread
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

Hi there. I am pretty sure it is possible for anyone to get it back. When my husband and I left Australia 12 years ago we filled in some forms and he got his back (admittedly it wasn't a great deal as we were rather young then) We are both Australian citizens and all he did was declare that he was emmigrating to the UK indefinitely. Rules may have changed since then though. Turns out our move wasn't so indefinite though as we are heading back to Oz next year permanently.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

ivanbaba is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Superannuation

Originally Posted by Zenshin
Hi there. I am pretty sure it is possible for anyone to get it back. When my husband and I left Australia 12 years ago we filled in some forms and he got his back (admittedly it wasn't a great deal as we were rather young then) We are both Australian citizens and all he did was declare that he was emmigrating to the UK indefinitely. Rules may have changed since then though. Turns out our move wasn't so indefinite though as we are heading back to Oz next year permanently.
Hi Zenshin,

Thanks for your response and thanks to few other who have share their thought with me.
Zenshin, Australian government is providing many benefits to UK passport holder even they leave Australia permanently. I am moving to different country than UK. I can't see any positive thing for me so far to get money back of my super.

Looking forwards to more suggestion from you guys.

R/P
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are a PR or citizen then you can't claim your super until you're 60 (if born after 1964). I wouldn't say this is unusual as pensions schemes go. Aus does hand it back to temp residents (with some tax deducted as it went in tax advantaged). Aus will also let you access it if you can show you are in financial dire straits but this is done on a case by case basis.

If you want to invest the money in the country you are moving to then the best thing you can do is to find a super which has investment programme in that country or start a SMSF and invest in that country yourself.

The plus point is that you can get all your money when you turn 60 (or whatever your preservation age is). This is not always the case in other countries.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

My super fund takes it back on each statement...they send me a nice letter telling me how much of MY money they have lost in the last six months and how much they have charged me for losing it!

Nice work if you can get it.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
My super fund takes it back on each statement...they send me a nice letter telling me how much of MY money they have lost in the last six months and how much they have charged me for losing it!

Nice work if you can get it.
And when your super fund does well you'll chuck them an extra few bucks to say thanks for the hard work?

Take the rough with the smooth!
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Zenshin
We did exactly the same thing when we left Oz in 1992. The rules have since changed and this is no longer possible unless you are only here on a temp visa.

BTW our move wasn't indefinite either - we were in the UK for 14 years.