Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A 'Super' Question !

A 'Super' Question !

Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

al_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud of
Default A 'Super' Question !

I know there have been loads of question on this already, but after reading most of them I am now even more confused.

The role details are :

Salary level: $65 000 per annum and the Queensland health page states that

Does my salary include superannuation?
In most cases, no. But please check all position information carefully to be sure.
So from what I gather, the Super payment will be *not* deducted from this amount and this is the take home pay after super has been deducted, or have I got that wrong way round?

Also. I read that Super is 9% of payment, but the site also states ...

Do I have to pay additional superannuation contributions?
Yes. All new Queensland Government employees (excluding casuals) automatically pay 5% superannuation.
Contributions
Queensland Government will contribute to your superannuation scheme up to 12.75% of your annual salary.

Most new QSuper members (except casual employees and police officers) start paying standard contributions of 5% of salary, while your employer contributes 12.75%. You can choose to pay less than 5% (to a minimum of 2%), however, this means your employer also pays less. The table below shows how much your employer pays depending on your own contributions.

You pay Your employer pays
2% 9.75%
3% 10.75%
4% 11.75%
5% 12.75%
So does this mean you pay Super twice? One time at 9%, then another at 5%?

Very confused. Can get no idea of take home pay if I cant figure out how much the pay will be !

Al

Last edited by al_and_lucy; Jun 5th 2009 at 12:12 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A 'Super' Question !

Originally Posted by al_and_lucy
I know there have been loads of question on this already, but after reading most of them I am now even more confused.

The role details are :

Salary level: $65 000 per annum and the Queensland health page states that

So from what I gather, the Super payment will be *not* deducted from this amount and this is the take home pay after super has been deducted, or have I got that wrong way round?

Also. I read that Super is 9% of payment, but the site also states ...

So does this mean you pay Super twice? One time at 9%, then another at 5%?

Very confused. Can get no idea of take home pay if I cant figure out how much the pay will be !

Al
What your employer pays is not included in the salary figure., What you pay towards it IS included in the salary figure
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

al_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
What your employer pays is not included in the salary figure., What you pay towards it IS included in the salary figure
thanks
Old Jun 6th 2009, 4:04 am
ABCDiamond

The 9% superanuation contribution rate by the employer is the Minimum that they have to pay by law.

So, in your case, the employer pays the 9% on top of your $65,000, therefore paying out $70,850 in total for you.

It is actually a bit similar to the way NI is done in the UK, with the employer paying some NI contributions, as well as the employee paying their bit.

However, being a government employee, you get the benefit of one of their extra schemes, where you pay money into your super, and they make extra contributions on your behalf.

It seems like you must pay at least 2% yourself.

This is a calculation of the options:
  • You pay 2% and keep $63,700 before tax
    They pay 9% + 0.75% extra = 9.75% super = total cost to them $71,337.50

• You pay 3% and keep $63,050 before tax
    They pay 9% + 1.75% extra = 10.75% super = total cost to them $71,987.50

• You pay 4% and keep $62,400 before tax
    They pay 9% + 2.75% extra = 11.75% super = total cost to them $72,637.50

• You pay 5% and keep $61,750 before tax
    They pay 9% + 3.75% extra = 12.75% super = total cost to them $73,287.50

• You pay 6% and keep $61,100 before tax
    (notice how the employer no longer pays extra after you reach 5%)

Most people would opt for the 5%, as they get the maximum benefit from the increasing employer contributions up to that level.

The above applies in varying forms to most government employees.
Normal employees normally only get the 9% minimum required.

Old Jun 6th 2009, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Oooo thanks for the explanation ABC
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

wmckellar will become famous soon enough

Very good explanation ABC. I am a finacial planner and was going to reply to this thread but could not have responed better myself.

Will

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The 9% superanuation contribution rate by the employer is the Minimum that they have to pay by law.

So, in your case, the employer pays the 9% on top of your $65,000, therefore paying out $70,850 in total for you.

It is actually a bit similar to the way NI is done in the UK, with the employer paying some NI contributions, as well as the employee paying their bit.

However, being a government employee, you get the benefit of one of their extra schemes, where you pay money into your super, and they make extra contributions on your behalf.

It seems like you must pay at least 2% yourself.

This is a calculation of the options:
  • You pay 2% and keep $63,700 before tax
    They pay 9% + 0.75% extra = 9.75% super = total cost to them $71,337.50

• You pay 3% and keep $63,050 before tax
    They pay 9% + 1.75% extra = 10.75% super = total cost to them $71,987.50

• You pay 4% and keep $62,400 before tax
    They pay 9% + 2.75% extra = 11.75% super = total cost to them $72,637.50

• You pay 5% and keep $61,750 before tax

• You pay 6% and keep $61,100 before tax
    (notice how the employer no longer pays extra after you reach 5%)

Most people would opt for the 5%, as they get the maximum benefit from the increasing employer contributions up to that level.

The above applies in varying forms to most government employees.
Normal employees normally only get the 9% minimum required.