Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Super and Private medical

Super and Private medical

Old Oct 8th 2012, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Krums is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Super and Private medical

Need some help from some experienced expats in Australia.
We have arrived in Tasmania and I need to set up some superannuation for myself and private medical insurance for the family.
I just got my medicare card today. So far I am aware of the main companies: Bupa, RACT, Medibank, St Lukes however I am so comfused.
For Super my company advised me their own super with Tasplan however I need advice on if there is a better plan.
So if there is anyone who can advice me HELP!!!
Old Oct 9th 2012, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of
Default Re: Super and Private medical

They are differnet things.

Super = pension. There are loads of companies and comparison websites. I went with a company with easy on-line setup (as I'm an employeer, and an employee).

Medical = Health. Went with a company that gave us a good discount on a staff scheme. Make sure you get the right cover to reduce your tax. We got certain cover as we wanted to get things done (like dental).

If one company is offering you both (your post doesn't say that, it says that your super has offered you super) have an ask on what the discounts/benifits they offer for doing both. Only you know what you want to spend, cover and invest in. So only you can really check on these companies.

Last edited by Bibbs; Oct 9th 2012 at 4:05 am. Reason: (can't spell)
Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:38 am
Just Joined

Padrum is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy to help with any questions or queries surrounding Private health insurance. I came to Australia 8 years ago and have been working in private insurance for 7 of these. More than happy for you to message me with any questions. Regards
Old Oct 18th 2012, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

NIB also worth looking at for health insurance. I'd pick two or three and phone them and ask for quotes.

Medicare will pay part of things like visits to the doctor. you have to pay the rest yourself. Your private insurance will pay for things that Medicare doesn't cover, like dentistry (part) or more complex medical issues, depending on the level of cover you decide to go for.

As far as Super goes, with everything else going on with a move, I would keep it simple and go with your employers plan. You can always change later if you are not happy with it.

Good Luck!
Old Oct 19th 2012, 3:30 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killerhales
NIB also worth looking at for health insurance. I'd pick two or three and phone them and ask for quotes.

Medicare will pay part of things like visits to the doctor. you have to pay the rest yourself. Your private insurance will pay for things that Medicare doesn't cover, like dentistry (part) or more complex medical issues, depending on the level of cover you decide to go for.

As far as Super goes, with everything else going on with a move, I would keep it simple and go with your employers plan. You can always change later if you are not happy with it.

Good Luck!

Be aware that health insurance doesn't work in the same way as it does elsewhere - There are still significant costs incurred if you choose to use it. Many (me for one) just maintain a policy so that they can avoid the extra tax, and have no intention of ever making a claim.

S
Old Oct 19th 2012, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Be aware that health insurance doesn't work in the same way as it does elsewhere - There are still significant costs incurred if you choose to use it. Many (me for one) just maintain a policy so that they can avoid the extra tax, and have no intention of ever making a claim.

S
I think it's a bit of a catch 22 though as, if you declare your private health insurance at all should you be in an accident, you'll end up paying the costs that Medicare would normally cover without private cover (AFAIK). So, I think the thing to do it, get the basic cover and never carry around your health fund card . If anyone asks, you don't have private cover (unless you have cover for the dentist and they ask).
Old Oct 19th 2012, 3:48 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I think it's a bit of a catch 22 though as, if you declare your private health insurance at all should you be in an accident, you'll end up paying the costs that Medicare would normally cover without private cover (AFAIK). So, I think the thing to do it, get the basic cover and never carry around your health fund card . If anyone asks, you don't have private cover (unless you have cover for the dentist and they ask).

Yeah, that's exactly what I do.

This mob seem to be the best price that I can find - offering 65% refund on their basic cover.

http://www.health.com.au/

S
Old Oct 19th 2012, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
It's totally up to you whether you use it...the public system is there for everyone.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yeah, that's exactly what I do.

This mob seem to be the best price that I can find - offering 65% refund on their basic cover.

http://www.health.com.au/

S
We have just switched to them from Medibank.
We use them to claim on some medications that are only available on private prescription.